Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Servo motor following error video?

To anyone interested in making machines with servos:
This fellow I know does ornamental wood turning. One way of milling
helical grooves on a wooden cylinder works like this:
A lathe has a sprocket attached to the back end of the spindle. A
chain is draped over this sproket. One end of the chain is weighted,
the other end is attached to a cable. Said cable is run over various
pulleys and is attached to the lathe carriage. A spinning cutter is
mounted to the carriage. As the carriage moves back and forth the
spindle turns and the cutter, engaging the cylinder, milling a helical
groove. The pitch of the helix is changed by changing the sproket. So
this fellow was explaining this to me and mentioned that he wanted to
do this electronically. Use an encoder on the carriage to send pulses
to a servo or stepper driver which then controls the motor that spins
the spindle. He spoke with an engineer who told him that following
error would be so great that he couldn't move back and forth like he
could with the sproket arrangement. I didn't believe it so I built a
demo model with the signal generating encoder connected through a
precision differential to the motor shaft. Spinning the encoder one
direction causes the motor to spin in the opposite direction. If there
is no following error the the center section of the differential would
remain stationary. Any movement left or right would show following
error. Well, the center section does swing left or right. About two or
three encoder counts. At high count settings the amount of following
error, in degrees of rotation, is so small that it doesn't matter, and
is probably less than the windup in the mechanical version. Using
encoders with switchable counts shows more movement of the diff with
the lower count settings. So, after that long explanation, would
anybody like me to try to post a video online demonstrating this?
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:18:53 +0000, etpm wrote:

[...]

Congratulations. You've reinvented the CNC lathe.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:42:12 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Well, sort of. You are of course talking about electronic gearing. I
didn't invent anything. Just figured out a really graphic way to show
someone what the following error would be and how to change it. Maybe
I should have posted the above referencing electronic gearing instead
of following error. Because when I was first told about this guy's
desire to eliminate the mechanical connection I thought about
electronic gearing. I told him this and he brought up following error
and how he believed it would be a problem.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

snip

encoders with switchable counts shows more movement of the diff with
the lower count settings. So, after that long explanation, would
anybody like me to try to post a video online demonstrating this?
Eric

Not really but if you like, you can simply remove the rh way cover on your
fadal, and then take the end cover off of the drive motor--inside, you will
see 3 small screws that are used to secure the resolver onto the housing...

Slightly loosen all three of the screws which will allow you to rotate the
resolver hand--note how the table basically moves in lock step whenever the
resolver is rotated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:19:43 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

snip

encoders with switchable counts shows more movement of the diff with
the lower count settings. So, after that long explanation, would
anybody like me to try to post a video online demonstrating this?
Eric

Not really but if you like, you can simply remove the rh way cover on your
fadal, and then take the end cover off of the drive motor--inside, you will
see 3 small screws that are used to secure the resolver onto the housing...

Slightly loosen all three of the screws which will allow you to rotate the
resolver hand--note how the table basically moves in lock step whenever the
resolver is rotated.

That shows the machine responding to a perceived (by the machine)
positioning error. It does not show the following error. Of interest
to me and the guy doing the wood is how much lag one axis has
following motion from another axis.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:18:53 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

[...]

Absolutely. Please do.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:19:43 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

snip

[...]

Following error is displayed on the fadal crt--to the right of the axis
dimensional read out

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 22:58:08 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:19:43 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message

snip

[...]

Well that's cool to know.