Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chip fork and Machinists' Backscratcher

I turned the text of "Machinists' comb and backscratcher" (posted 22
January 2012 to RCM) into a text file and added two photos of the chip
fork, and put them up at the Dropbox. They may be found at:

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork.txt

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork_Photo-1.jpg

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork_Photo-2.jpg

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:13:52 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I turned the text of "Machinists' comb and backscratcher" (posted 22
January 2012 to RCM) into a text file and added two photos of the chip
fork, and put them up at the Dropbox. They may be found at:

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork.txt

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork_Photo-1.jpg

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork_Photo-2.jpg

Joe Gwinn

Hey Joe,

Thank you.

Pix is worth a thousand words. Looks good.

Just looking at the pix before reading the .txt file, I thought the
aluminum piece was designed to be put on the tines and scooched up to
the bar before "shovelling" to make it a "push-off" to release the
swarf. Worth a try?

Take care.

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I turned the text of "Machinists' comb and backscratcher" (posted 22
January 2012 to RCM) into a text file and added two photos of the chip
fork, and put them up at the Dropbox. They may be found at:

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork.txt

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork_Photo-1.jpg

http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Chip_Fork_Photo-2.jpg

Joe Gwinn

Hey Joe,

Thank you.

Pix is worth a thousand words. Looks good.

Thanks.

Just looking at the pix before reading the .txt file, I thought the
aluminum piece was designed to be put on the tines and scooched up to
the bar before "shovelling" to make it a "push-off" to release the
swarf. Worth a try?

The fit between the aluminum bar and the tines is quite tight, about
0.002" diameter difference, and I bet that the tiny chips would get in
there and jam. Even without chips, it can be hard to move in places. I
didn't have any problem getting stuff off the tines by wiping with a
rag.

But if it were an issue, I think I'd make a comb bar with multiple
parallel slots to admit the tines. Then the pushoff tool could be used
at any time, not needing to have been installed in advance.

Or, just use a chip brush.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:41:36 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

BIG SNIP

But if it were an issue, I think I'd make a comb bar with multiple
parallel slots to admit the tines. Then the pushoff tool could be used
at any time, not needing to have been installed in advance.

Or, just use a chip brush.

Joe Gwinn

That's even better Joe !

Thanks again!

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:51:18 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:41:36 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

BIG SNIP

But if it were an issue, I think I'd make a comb bar with multiple
parallel slots to admit the tines. Then the pushoff tool could be used
at any time, not needing to have been installed in advance.

Or, just use a chip brush.

Joe Gwinn

That's even better Joe !

Thanks again!

Brian Lawson

Btw...I strongly...very very strongly recommend the chip brushes made
and sold by our brother Tom Gardner...

http://www.ohiobrush.com

And the cup brushes for metal work/welding...are the worlds best, bar
none.

Hey Tommy..I didnt see any of the metal stranded loop brushes on your
website? Where are they? They are a freaking dream for cleaning
swarf!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:41:36 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

BIG SNIP

But if it were an issue, I think I'd make a comb bar with multiple
parallel slots to admit the tines. Then the pushoff tool could be used
at any time, not needing to have been installed in advance.

Or, just use a chip brush.

Joe Gwinn

That's even better Joe !

Thanks again!

Brian Lawson

Btw...I strongly...very very strongly recommend the chip brushes made
and sold by our brother Tom Gardner...

http://www.ohiobrush.com

And the cup brushes for metal work/welding...are the worlds best, bar
none.

Hey Tommy..I didnt see any of the metal stranded loop brushes on your
website? Where are they? They are a freaking dream for cleaning
swarf!!

http://www.ohiobrush.com/Pages/misc.html

Joe Gwinn

Machinists' comb and backscratcher Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 8 January 23rd 12 10:35 PM
Fork Ables? The Medway Handyman UK diy 3 February 18th 09 09:22 PM
2x4 Fork Lift Morris Dovey Woodworking Plans and Photos 11 June 25th 07 01:15 AM
A Machinists Art Lane Metalworking 8 March 4th 05 01:39 AM
Advice on how locating ( Chip FA4111 & chip M52722P) in the UK ? (for a vgood 21" monitor) Chris Electronics 1 January 29th 04 03:46 AM