Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Allowance for Soldering

I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim" wrote in message
I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

Go down to your local hardware store and ball park based on the slip fit of
copper sweat fittings.

Or just press it in if that's a strong enough junction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

Tim wrote:

I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

I would try an 1/8" drill first. The ideal clearance is likely
to be about as much as the drill makes the hole oversized.
Tin the wire first and if it fits in the hole it should work.

-jim

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 29, 7:10*am, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net wrote:

I would try an 1/8" drill first. The ideal clearance is likely
to be about as much as the drill makes the hole oversized.
Tin the wire first and if it fits in the hole it should work.

-jim

I am not sure about regular solder, but silver solder ( the real
stuff, not the stuff with a small percentage of silver ) has the most
strength with about .0015 clearance. So I would also use an 1/8 inch
drill, but would not tin the wire first. Just use some flux on it.
If the hole has to be slightly larger, use a tapered reamer as Harbor
Freight item 66936.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim" wrote in message
I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Shockingly small font but has some quantitative info:

http://www.wehmer.com/index2.php?opt...do_pdf=1&id=18

"Good fit in joint clearances.
The integrity of the silver solder joint depends on successful capillary
action - the process by which the filler metal at flow/ liquidus temperature
is drawn through the entire joint by the uniform clearances between the
components being bonded. The strength of the completed joint is directly
related to the space between the two components. For example, a silver
soldered joint created with a joint clearance of .04mm can have a tensile
strength exceeding 130,000 psi. This same joint created with a joint
clearance of .5 mm will result in a tensile strength of less than 30,000
psi. Maintaining .04-.06 mm joint clearances creates optimum strength
joints. Besides joint clearance, capillary action is also affected by
surface finish of the components being bonded. Unlike "soft" soldering, a
mechanical metallurgical action happens between the components being bonded
and the silver filler material. The filler at flow temperature actually
permeates the surface of the components and creates a mechanical "grip". If
the material we are bonding is highly polished (like wire and crowns), the
surface is more resistant to this flow and grip, and the metallurgical bond
is weakened."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 28, 11:39*pm, Tim wrote:

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? *What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

Tim Wescott
Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com

I did not find anything on ideal clearances with soft solder, but did
find some info on strengths of soft solders. The 5% silver 95% tin
is definitely the strongest of commonly available solders.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim" wrote in message
I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

http://www.engineersedge.com/solder_design_menu.shtml

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:39:17 -0600, Tim
wrote:

I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

SWAG: 1/2 an RCH. Wick, don't fill.

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

Ooh, too big, methinks. Especially because drilled holes are usually a
bit larger than the drill bit diameter due to runout, etc. A larger
hole permits the solder to take the stresses, but you'd probably
rather have the wire and brass dingus take it. Smaller is better.

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 06:10:45 -0600, jim wrote:

Tim wrote:

I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and
strong?

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

I would try an 1/8" drill first. The ideal clearance is likely to be
about as much as the drill makes the hole oversized. Tin the wire first
and if it fits in the hole it should work.

Heh. I forgot to mention -- the music wire I have seems to all be
oversize. Incidentally, by about the amount that a drill is oversize.
So when I'm lucky I get a press fit (maybe light, maybe hard). When I'm
not lucky I get a sliding fit or worse a "this won't go in for love or
money" fit.

I'll try drilling with 1/8, then drill out bigger if that won't work.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 29, 11:56*am, Tim Wescott wrote:

Heh. *I forgot to mention -- the music wire I have seems to all be
oversize. *Incidentally, by about the amount that a drill is oversize.
So when I'm lucky I get a press fit (maybe light, maybe hard). *When I'm
not lucky I get a sliding fit or worse a "this won't go in for love or
money" fit.

I'll try drilling with 1/8, then drill out bigger if that won't work.

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com

If the music wire will not fit in the hole drilled with a 1/8 inch
drill, try wobbling the drill to make the hole slightly larger. I
might not do that in steel, but should work in brass.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

SWAG: 1/2 an RCH. Wick, don't fill.

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

Ooh, too big, methinks. Especially because drilled holes are usually a
bit larger than the drill bit diameter due to runout, etc. A larger
hole permits the solder to take the stresses, but you'd probably
rather have the wire and brass dingus take it. Smaller is better.

I would try #30 (0.1285")
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

SWAG: 1/2 an RCH. Wick, don't fill.

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

Ooh, too big, methinks. Especially because drilled holes are usually a
bit larger than the drill bit diameter due to runout, etc. A larger
hole permits the solder to take the stresses, but you'd probably
rather have the wire and brass dingus take it. Smaller is better.

I would try #30 (0.1285")

Didja read the treatise on silver soldering posted by someone else?
(sorry, I forgot already)

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.
-- Raoul Vaneigem
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-29, Tim wrote:
I want to make a little brass dingus (a wheel pant mount, actually) and
solder it onto 1/8" music wire.

If I actually had that numbered drill set that I drool over, what size
hole should I drill? What's the ideal clearance to allow between
surfaces for solder to be able to wick in, and still be good and strong?

(this time I'm probably going to drill for 9/64, and jig everything
straight -- but I still want to know)

If the wire were not bent, 1/8" drill. The drill bits typically
drill a little oversized anyway.

However, the wire will probably get a little wider at the bend,
and I would measure there with a micrometer to check what hole to drill.

What kind of solder are you planning to use?

I don't think that lead/tin solder will stick very well to music
wire. Try a bit and see whether you can get it to melt, flow, and
stick.

And silver solder, which would do very well at sticking (and
which needs perhaps 0.001" clearance for the solder to flow) might
produce problems at the temperatures which it needs -- both in annealing
the music wire, and perhaps oxidizing the brass -- you'll certainly have
to polish it all after the soldering.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564