Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe in Fla

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...acctid=2863#.T

On the off chance anyone down that way is looking , this is a pretty nice
unit .

Description , per Scott Logan :

"BTW, there is a minor error in the listing, this is actually a Model
2557-VLH, 12" x 33" lathe, L-00 spindle nose, flame-hardened bed."
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...acctid=2863#.T

I get:

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot
be displayed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot
be displayed.

I don't, but it's an edu location, and prone to stupid student crashes.

I saw it. It looks typically abused for the UCF physics/mech.eng. group.
After they don't like something anymore, they park it out in the hot
Florida rain for a couple of years before trying to sell it.

I've bought stuff from them before.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...acctid=2863#.T

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...32&acctid=2863

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?

I don't, but it's an edu location, and prone to stupid student crashes.

I saw it. It looks typically abused for the UCF physics/mech.eng. group.
After they don't like something anymore, they park it out in the hot
Florida rain for a couple of years before trying to sell it.

It looks worse that the lathes whe had in high school, in the '60s.
Old navy surplus with 20 layers of gray paint where it was painted (with
a brush) between each school year. They were W.W.II US Navy surplus.
and I don't remember seeing a name on them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 26, 7:23*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? fired this volley in
om:

? 500 - Internal server error.
? There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot
? be displayed.
?

I don't, but it's an edu location, and prone to stupid student crashes.

I saw it. *It looks typically abused for the UCF physics/mech.eng. group.
After they don't like something anymore, they park it out in the hot
Florida rain for a couple of years before trying to sell it.

* *It looks worse that the lathes whe had in high school, in the '60s..
Old navy surplus with 20 layers of gray paint where it was painted (with
a brush) between each school year. *They were W.W.II US Navy surplus.
and I don't remember seeing a name on them.

It looks cosmetically better than mine. I have a 2527VH (with a 2-1/4
x 8 threaded spindle). I'd be tempted to get it if I was closer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 26, 8:48*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Denis G." fired this volley in news:d7080b21-
:

It looks cosmetically better than mine. *I have a 2527VH (with a 2-1/4
x 8 threaded spindle). *I'd be tempted to get it if I was closer.

Knowing what they _finally_ let go at UCF (I'm an alumnus), I'd say, find
another source. *It was likely pretty worn out before they put it in the
rain for five years.

LLoyd

You're probably right, but I'm always tempted to squirrel away spare
parts for things I use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Snag wrote:

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...acctid=2863#.T

I get:

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it
cannot be displayed.

Oops , I didn't cath the wrap on that url . try this
http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...acctid=2863#.T
qhZm3KOflY

Aw crap , it wrapped again , but at least it's all there now .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-26, Snag wrote:
http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...acctid=2863#.T

On the off chance anyone down that way is looking , this is a pretty nice
unit .

Description , per Scott Logan :

"BTW, there is a minor error in the listing, this is actually a Model
2557-VLH, 12" x 33" lathe, L-00 spindle nose, flame-hardened bed."

Hmm ... if it is a L-00, then ...

Never mind -- what at first glance looked like a thin 3-jaw
chuck or faceplate (in the end cabinet) appears to actually be a large
5C pot collet. So L-00 is pretty likely after all.

Looks like a nice machine. The only thing I dislike about it is
that the threading does not include 27 TPI (which I need from time to
time, and which my Clausing has.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:21:46 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...acctid=2863#.T

On the off chance anyone down that way is looking , this is a pretty nice
unit .

Description , per Scott Logan :

"BTW, there is a minor error in the listing, this is actually a Model
2557-VLH, 12" x 33" lathe, L-00 spindle nose, flame-hardened bed."

Those are indeed good, solid and well made lathes. I run across them
from time to time in the corners of shops, still making parts, long
after the shop has converted to CNC

Gunner

Gunner Asch