Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel framed carport design info...

I have another project spinning up to build a rather large carport which
will most likely be steel framed and will but against and attach to a
40' cargo container. It will run the full 40' length of the container
and will extend 20'-40' out, with the outside end being the low point at
~12' high with a slope up to the container side.

Does anyone have references to design criteria for framing such a
structure? This is in an area that rarely sees more than a few inches of
snow for a few days, but is subject to some pretty high winds at times.

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/30/2011 1:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:

I have another project spinning up to build a rather large carport which
will most likely be steel framed and will but against and attach to a
40' cargo container. It will run the full 40' length of the container
and will extend 20'-40' out, with the outside end being the low point at
~12' high with a slope up to the container side.

Does anyone have references to design criteria for framing such a
structure? This is in an area that rarely sees more than a few inches of
snow for a few days, but is subject to some pretty high winds at times.

Thanks,

Pete C.

I would ask around about anybody in the area with a similar setup. I
know in Yuma County (where I live) they require a placement permit for
cargo containers, and a building permit for carports. Attaching a
carport to a container gets even more complicated for permitting.
Basically its considered a no go, but special use permits can allow it.
We also have to deal with both seismic and wind load rating issues.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

This is in the free world, where there are no permits or codes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/30/2011 4:49 PM, Pete C. wrote:

I have another project spinning up to build a rather large carport which
will most likely be steel framed and will but against and attach to a
40' cargo container. It will run the full 40' length of the container
and will extend 20'-40' out, with the outside end being the low point at
~12' high with a slope up to the container side.

Does anyone have references to design criteria for framing such a
structure? This is in an area that rarely sees more than a few inches of
snow for a few days, but is subject to some pretty high winds at times.

Thanks,

Pete C.

A place to start might be Harry Parker's "Simplified Design of
Structural Steel"

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

er, free world you say; sounds familiar, where is it?

Rural Texas, far outside city limits.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Info may be obtained, and I DID say MAY, from: Fabral, and ASC Pacific, who
manufacture these structures. These are distributed in the west, and local
steel suppliers usually have their catalogs. If the OP can e mail me some
info, perhaps I can be of help. I just completed my FOURTH awning, first
14' x 32', second, 15' x 15', third, 12' x 15', fourth 25' x 10'. They are
made of post and purlin, but I have seen a lot made out of the 14 ga. C
channel they sell, butted together and welded.

The 32 footer was doped out according to Fabral specs, and purchased from
the local supplier, and was configured for 104 mph winds. They do get 60 or
better here.

I intend to put a lean to on the side of my container, it's 40' long, and
will stick out about 12'. But I used up all my purlins, and now have to
find some and not go to the steel yard to do it. I have a couple of
scroungers that I got a lot of materials from.

Your local zoning may have something to say about it. I live in an
agricultural zone, and just about anything will fly if you call it a animal
shelter, or equipment barn. Or up to 35' high if it is "recreational".
Guess a guy could hook up a trapeze for his wife or girlfriend in there,
that would qualify ..........

Anyhoo,

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

My shop was built with 4" square posts for uprights and 10" purlins
to support the roof metal. That free-spanned 30 feet.

But I didn't have any cargo containers on the roof.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

No cargo containers on the roof The container is just the support /
wall at the high side.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:49:53 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

I have another project spinning up to build a rather large carport which
will most likely be steel framed and will but against and attach to a

Yeah, steel trusses would be the ticket, I'd SWAG.

40' cargo container. It will run the full 40' length of the container
and will extend 20'-40' out, with the outside end being the low point at
~12' high with a slope up to the container side.

Does anyone have references to design criteria for framing such a
structure? This is in an area that rarely sees more than a few inches of
snow for a few days, but is subject to some pretty high winds at times.

Local codes might require an architect or PE to draw it up and present
it to the local code officers. Check with them first. Or ask the
metal building component places for their suggestions. Sometimes they
have PEs on staff whose drawings and specs meet the local code nazis.

Did you want an entirely unobstructed 40x40' area, or would support
posts be OK?

I'd imagine it would take some pretty stout ground attachments and
good steel components bolted and/or welded to the container. That's a
lot of "wing" area in high winds. It would be nice if you could angle
it so the predominant winds blow against the low side.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:27:22 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Then do it with cut poles, corrugated metal, nails, and baling wire.
Just cross your finners with regard to winds.

--
We're all here because we're not all there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have another project spinning up to build a rather large carport which
will most likely be steel framed and will but against and attach to a

Yeah, steel trusses would be the ticket, I'd SWAG.

40' cargo container. It will run the full 40' length of the container
and will extend 20'-40' out, with the outside end being the low point at
~12' high with a slope up to the container side.

Does anyone have references to design criteria for framing such a
structure? This is in an area that rarely sees more than a few inches of
snow for a few days, but is subject to some pretty high winds at times.

Local codes might require an architect or PE to draw it up and present
it to the local code officers.

There are no local codes or permits, this is in the free world far
outside city limits.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't be a problem then.
I spanned 30 feet with 10 inch purlins on 5' centers.
All ya gotta do it hold them up there.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

AND survived 60 MPH winds!

This was a 30 x 30 ft building with a 30 x 15 lean-too off the back.
10 inch stuff is expensive, but no where near as much as building
up trusses.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Does anyone have references to design criteria for framing such a
structure? Pete

steelframingalliance.com

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Have you check lately? They are kind of sneaky critters! ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

CaveLamb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

With the storms in the area lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see
containers on top of roofs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

CaveLamb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Did you see those big hot tubs lifted by high winds and dropped into
a busy street? They showed it on the TV news yesterday, while covering
the damage in Alabama. It was caught by the security cameras at the
Hottub dealer's store.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

source for design info on custom closets bill allemann Home Repair 6 June 4th 09 04:42 AM
Steel framed house flash UK diy 10 October 10th 06 07:41 PM
Where can I find info on desk design? Blue Woodworking 8 November 28th 03 04:54 PM
Advice needed - steel furniture design Sb083459 Metalworking 5 October 21st 03 03:57 AM
Steel suppliers info. Dave Skirrow UK diy 2 October 3rd 03 12:43 PM