Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Minerals in hot water. Filter?

Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

Tom, is this well water from a on-site well?

I have to struggle with excess lime (calcium) I figure it saves me buying calcium pills
for my bones. Periodically I have to acidise the well to clean the point screen and
formation.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

Tom, is this well water from a on-site well?

I have to struggle with excess lime (calcium) I figure it saves me buying
calcium pills
for my bones. Periodically I have to acidise the well to clean the point
screen and
formation.

Pretty much this is exactly what water softeners are made for.

Suggest don't buy a GE one because IMO they are junk.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:14:16 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

We've got the same problem. An Omni brand whole house filter in front
of the softener catches most everything. We have the large one, about
a shy one gallon size.

But, I do know exactly which tools to grab (and can lay them out in
the order needed) to clean the screens on each sink, tub, washer and
dish washer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:30:38 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

http://www.omni-water-filters.org/WF...ehouse_bf7.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/27/2011 03:14 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

If it really is chalk, make some nice English-style beer and be happy.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

When I lived in Anoka, MN about a half-century ago, it was rural and
everybody had their own ground-water well and septic sewer system; Dad
bought a thing called a "water softener," which is one step less
sophisticated than a de-ionizer. Put it at the entrance pipe, although
you might want to install a Tee, so that you can still get "hard" water,
which can be desirable because it tastes so much better than demineralized
("soft") water.

http://www.culligan.com/en/

You could also register a logo, and sell your well water as "Mineral Water"
for a buck and a quarter a pint. ;-D

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:14:16 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

Blowes, whole house filter, put it on the output of the pump.
I'm thinking about adding another one, then using the carbon filters
on the downline one, after prefiltering. My well is irony.
(OK, take that straight line and run, will ya?)

http://goo.gl/DU5Lq price is up. I paid $32 9 years ago and saw them
for $35 a month ago.

Here's a pre-filter: http://goo.gl/0ifVw

Make sure your pump house is insulated.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

I do have city water, just not as good as Cleveland water. I only get
the sediment on the hot water, why is that?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

....and why do I only get the sediment on the hot side?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

Tom,
What are the water lines made of? If you're not seeing it in the tank
and it's only on the hot side something is breaking down. Maybe send a
sample to a lab and find out what it actually is. I suppose it is
possible that the hotter water could be causing old deposits to break
down and come out. Or if they are PVC or other plastic maybe the line
itself is failing.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 01:19:37 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I would suspect your water softener is not doing the job. Or maybe
you should start taking cold showers VBG

My water forms a precipitate as it sits, terrible ahead of the
softener. But it still happens after it.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:14:16 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

Do you have a water softener? If not, you clearly need one. You may
also need a whole house filter like Karl described. Ask the water
department how hard the water is. They can tell you in terms of
grains of hardness per gallon, and parts per million of clear water
iron. Those numbers and your family's daily water usage will
determine what size softener you need.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 18:14:16 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

Our water in the country isn't the quality of the big city. The
little plastic strainer in the kitchen sink gets clogged very
frequently with a soft white chalky substance, sometimes in a matter
of minutes. The strainer in the hot water hose for the washing
machine gets clogged too. I'm not sure if I exacerbated the problem
when I cranked up the electric hot water heater about a year ago. I
do drain the bottom of the tank every month or so but I don't notice
any of the crap in it.

Is there a recommended filter for this and where do I put it?

Do you have a water softener? If not, you clearly need one. You may
also need a whole house filter like Karl described. Ask the water
department how hard the water is.

Or buy a water quality test kit at Home Depot

They can tell you in terms of
grains of hardness per gallon, and parts per million of clear water
iron. Those numbers and your family's daily water usage will
determine what size softener you need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 01:18:48 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

[...]

I'm on a well with some iron bacteria in it. I get smells from the hot
water but not the cold. Why is that?

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm on a well with some iron bacteria in it. I get smells from the hot
water but not the cold. Why is that?

I DON'T USE LAKE WATER TO FLUSH THE HEAD IN THE BOAT.

Reason is that there are lots of little critters living
in that water and when they get trapped in my pipes and die
they stink to high heavens!

Maybe?

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It sounds like whatever mineral is in there is precipitating from the
heat. Call your local water utility and ask them what it is that
they're letting through the lines into your house.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Your hot water heater has a bottom full of gunk.
The dip tube that brings hot water from the burner
is sucking in the gunk. The cold dumps in on top and
contributes some times.

Try draining the tank several times. If dirty water keep flushing.
Or replace the old one for a new one.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 01:18:48 -0400, "Tom Gardner" w@w wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

My prediction:

Your anode is going to start slowly leaking water out of the top of the
tank--this water will then saturate the tanks insulation causing the
bracket that holds the thermostat to rust away, and then the thermostat will
no longer have good thermal contact with the tank wall, leaving you with
almost zero control over actual tank temperature--sometimes your water will
seem to be REALLY hot, other times it will be barely warm...

Finally, the TP valve will go off, leaving you with an area that's been
flooded, and with a tank that's no longer repairable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One other thing, esp if your ph is off to the acid side, you absolutely need
to be careful about mixing copper and or brass pipes with steel--unless you
have a dielectric union you should use a pvc nipple or somesuch in between
because where the iron / steel pipe screws into the brass, the steel will
erode away, weakening the joint and whats more, there will be re-deposited
an inch or so away, calcium, magnesium,iron etc. scale which tends to
eventually clog the pipe completely and will also cause frequent problems
when chunks of it come loose end up at your faucets and valves and screens
and so forth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" w@w wrote in message ...

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

snip
I do have city water, just not as good as Cleveland water. I only get the sediment on the hot
water, why is that?

Check the dip tube.....Paul

http://www.mtmua.com/index.php?optio...ubes-&catid=13

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

Try draining the tank several times. If dirty water keep flushing.
Or replace the old one for a new one.

One can acid clean also--basically, drain, remove lower element and add
white vinegar full strength....re-fill with water till it starts coming out
of the lower element hole and let it sit for several hours before flushing.

Probably could use muriatic or citric instead--for solution strength, ( Ph )
see google.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:45:39 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I do have city water, just not as good as Cleveland water. I only get
the sediment on the hot water, why is that?

I'm on a well with some iron bacteria in it. I get smells from the hot
water but not the cold. Why is that?

The heat kills the bacteria. Their decomposing little bodies give off
hydrogen sulfate. Likely the worst spot is using the kitchen spray
after it has not been used for a couple of days.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:00:11 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Your hot water heater has a bottom full of gunk.
The dip tube that brings hot water from the burner
is sucking in the gunk. The cold dumps in on top and
contributes some times.

Try draining the tank several times. If dirty water keep flushing.
Or replace the old one for a new one.

Martin

The dip tube brings in cold water.

http://www.masterplumber.net/electricwh/dip_tube.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 23:38:04 -0700, Rich Grise

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:45:39 -0700, Larry Jaques

I do have city water, just not as good as Cleveland water. I only get
the sediment on the hot water, why is that?

I'm on a well with some iron bacteria in it. I get smells from the hot
water but not the cold. Why is that?

The heat kills the bacteria. Their decomposing little bodies give off
hydrogen sulfate. Likely the worst spot is using the kitchen spray
after it has not been used for a couple of days.

Are you sure you don't mean hydrogen sulfide, H2S? Hydrogen sulfate
would be H2SO4, AKA battery acid.

Cheers!
Rich

I'll let you and my biologist neighbor (who called it that) decide the
proper term. It does smell like battery acid and is heavier than water
which is why it settles in the hose loop.