Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default $50

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:48:18 -0500, Ignoramus7326
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Iggys getting good at this! His next project!!

Iggy..the Welder King!!

Hip hip Hooray!!!

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Oh...btw...the low end price for one of these welders in so so condition
here in the oil patch..is $2000.

One like that, will sell for $500-800

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Hope you grabbed it. I got $275 for my SAE-300 with the frozen Herc
6-banger. Either one is worth more than we paid in scrap value alone.
This one does appear to need a -touch- more work on it, though.

Are you going to paint the one you have now before selling it?

--
Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences.
No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Hope you grabbed it. I got $275 for my SAE-300 with the frozen Herc
6-banger.

Wow, not bad.

Either one is worth more than we paid in scrap value alone.
This one does appear to need a -touch- more work on it, though.

Are you going to paint the one you have now before selling it?

Yes, $50 is what I paid. I will pick it up soon.

The one I was working on (the one on videos), I will sell without painting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Hope you grabbed it. I got $275 for my SAE-300 with the frozen Herc
6-banger.

Wow, not bad.

Either one is worth more than we paid in scrap value alone.
This one does appear to need a -touch- more work on it, though.

Are you going to paint the one you have now before selling it?

Yes, $50 is what I paid. I will pick it up soon.

The one I was working on (the one on videos), I will sell without painting.

My 2 cents. You get more return on painting used equipment than
anything else you can do. This is especially true for anything you are
selling to hobbyists.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:37:13 -0700
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Oh...btw...the low end price for one of these welders in so so condition
here in the oil patch..is $2000.

One like that, will sell for $500-800

So ... what's right with it? (I suspect that may be a shorter
list)

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:28:01 -0500, Ignoramus7326

On 2011-04-27, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus7326" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Google SA200 rebuilds, and see what the high end is. Just getting it
running, and welding, they are almost as valuable as gold. You're getting
the hang of the small details. It's a very simple four banger, and so long
as you got good compression, the generator generates, and a few other
basics, you can make good dough on these machines. The electronics on them
should be TinkerToys for you.

I will see how it goes, if it is frozen, I will try a few things
(Marvel mystery oil), but if I cannot gte it to turn, I will just sell
it as frozen. I am mindful of Gunner's story.

This is what a F163 looks like with its pants off

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Miller55G

They are dirt simple.

Simple, yes, but not necessarily fixable once they rusted inside.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-26, Ignoramus7326 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

OK, here's the most pertinent question. What do you guys think about
the tires, just looking at the picture. Can I possibly inflate them
enough to get to a nearest tire shop?

To me, they look completely shot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus7326" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Google SA200 rebuilds, and see what the high end is. Just getting it
running, and welding, they are almost as valuable as gold. You're getting
the hang of the small details. It's a very simple four banger, and so long
as you got good compression, the generator generates, and a few other
basics, you can make good dough on these machines. The electronics on them
should be TinkerToys for you.

I will see how it goes, if it is frozen, I will try a few things
(Marvel mystery oil), but if I cannot gte it to turn, I will just sell
it as frozen. I am mindful of Gunner's story.

This is what a F163 looks like with its pants off

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Miller55G

They are dirt simple.

Simple, yes, but not necessarily fixable once they rusted inside.

the F163 is rated at 20HP at 1500 RPM, and 26HP at 1800 RPM. In
tractor apps they were about 35HP PTO and 31 drawbar on a good day.
The 540 Cockshutt was an F162, rated at 26pto and 31 drawbar - and
those were Shetland ponies, not Clydes or thoroughbreds.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-26, Ignoramus7326
wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

OK, here's the most pertinent question. What do you guys think about
the tires, just looking at the picture. Can I possibly inflate them
enough to get to a nearest tire shop?

To me, they look completely shot.

What happens when one blows out while it is being pulled down the road?
Depends on the speed and the road you have to travel.

Can you just stuff the whole thing in your army trailer?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7326 wrote:

OK, here's the most pertinent question. What do you guys think about
the tires, just looking at the picture. Can I possibly inflate them
enough to get to a nearest tire shop?

It's hard to say. How far is it to the shop?

Or ... take the wheels off & take just them to the shop.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 00:30:43 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Ignoramus7326 wrote:

OK, here's the most pertinent question. What do you guys think about
the tires, just looking at the picture. Can I possibly inflate them
enough to get to a nearest tire shop?

It's hard to say. How far is it to the shop?

Or ... take the wheels off & take just them to the shop.

Bob

Which is what I normally do when picking something up like this.

Jack one side up, pull the tire, stuff wood under the axle, let it back
down, jack up the other side, pull the tire, go to the used tire shop,
spend $15-$20 x(2) for tires and then reverse the procedure, then haul
it home.

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-26, Ignoramus7326 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

OK, here's the most pertinent question. What do you guys think about
the tires, just looking at the picture. Can I possibly inflate them
enough to get to a nearest tire shop?

To me, they look completely shot.

If you can schlep a compressor or even a tank out there, just fill them up
and see if they'll hold air long enough to get to the shop. Or put it up
on blocks, pull the wheels and tires and haul them to the shop, or put the
whole thing on another trailer to drag it to the shop. You were planning on
taking it home anyway, right?

Or, hey! Even a car dolly or a couple of creepers/4-wheelers chould do the
trick.

But I'd definitely replace the tires rather than try to patch them up.

Given that, get a yellow flasher ("Slow Vehicle!") and you could drag it
on the rims, at 5 or 10 MPH. (BTDT) ;-)

BTW, where is this, geographically? Just curious.

Have Fun!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-26, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:48:18 -0500, Ignoramus7326

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Hope you grabbed it. I got $275 for my SAE-300 with the frozen Herc
6-banger.

Wow, not bad.

Either one is worth more than we paid in scrap value alone.
This one does appear to need a -touch- more work on it, though.

Are you going to paint the one you have now before selling it?

Yes, $50 is what I paid. I will pick it up soon.

The one I was working on (the one on videos), I will sell without
painting.

My 2 cents. You get more return on painting used equipment than
anything else you can do. This is especially true for anything you are
selling to hobbyists.

I heartily concur here. If I had it, I'd also see if I could get the
engine running and all that - that and a coat of paint, and you could
really come up smelling like a rose. ;-)

Or, take it in its crappy condition and get bids, then sand/bead/soda
blast it, slap a coat of paint on it, and get bids, then split the
difference three ways between you, Karl, and me. ;-D

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:44:47 -0500, Ignoramus7326

On 2011-04-26, Ignoramus7326 wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

OK, here's the most pertinent question. What do you guys think about
the tires, just looking at the picture. Can I possibly inflate them
enough to get to a nearest tire shop?

To me, they look completely shot.

I suggest jacking each wheel off the ground so it might take air if
the tire has been broken free of the bead. I also recommend repacking
the wheel bearings before towing it any distance, or adding grease to
both inner and outer bearings before moving it. If you've ever done it
before, it won't take but an hour for both.

You might also take blocks and set the axle down on those, then take
the wheels/tires to the nearest garage for inflating if they won't do
so there. (Be sure to haul your floor jack with you on this run, as
they easily beat using a bottle jack.) The tires are likely 6-ply and
will run forever with air in them, even with horrid cracks in the
sidewalls. Yours is a short run, yes?

--
Age is always advancing, and I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.
--Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-04-26, Ignoramus7326 wrote:
[...]

It is about 40 miles.

I guess, the plan is

1) Take a floor jack and a bottle jack
2) Take lots of wood blocks
3) Take the wheels off the floor and try to inflate with a compressor
4) If that fails, take the wheels to a tire place for new tires
5) Repack bearings
6) go home
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 7:29*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:37:35 -0500, Ignoramus7326

My 2 cents. You get more return on painting used equipment than
anything else you can do. This is especially true for anything you are
selling to hobbyists.

Karl

Known in the trade as a "rattle can overhaul."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus7326" wrote in message
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Google SA200 rebuilds, and see what the high end is. Just getting it
running, and welding, they are almost as valuable as gold. You're
getting
the hang of the small details. It's a very simple four banger, and so
long
as you got good compression, the generator generates, and a few other
basics, you can make good dough on these machines. The electronics on
them
should be TinkerToys for you.

Yes, and I definitely get the point that the power of the typical
welding arc (30v/120A or even 200A) is far below the power capacity of
the engine, so they do not work very hard doing welding. I love the
machine I just fixed up, it is awesome in its simplicity and good
engineering.

Same thing with old yale fork lifts, a breeze to fix and they last
forever.
Mine was made in 1968 and still runs like a champ. It had a blown head
gasket, got it for a $100. New gasket, plugs, points, $35.00. 4 hours time
for the repair. Have it now for 20 years.

Best Regards
Tom.

Don't a lot of those old forklifts have the same Continental engines?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote

It's hard to say. How far is it to the shop?

Or ... take the wheels off & take just them to the shop.

Bob

I took my drums and wheels off. Had new studs put on the wheels, and new
tires put on the wheels, all in the same trip. Got home with some good new
studs pressed in that would take new nuts, and tires that were good for the
freeway, and wouldn't be going flat every week. I think it was worth the
time and money to FIX the problem, and do it right.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, Steve B wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote

It's hard to say. How far is it to the shop?

Or ... take the wheels off & take just them to the shop.

Bob

I took my drums and wheels off. Had new studs put on the wheels, and new
tires put on the wheels, all in the same trip. Got home with some good new
studs pressed in that would take new nuts, and tires that were good for the
freeway, and wouldn't be going flat every week. I think it was worth the
time and money to FIX the problem, and do it right.

Did you go to a tire shop or what?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-04-26, Ignoramus7326 wrote:
[...]

Yup!! Good job!

Just dont buy "new tires"...buy a pair of good used ones.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, Steve B wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote

It's hard to say. How far is it to the shop?

Or ... take the wheels off & take just them to the shop.

Bob

I took my drums and wheels off. Had new studs put on the wheels, and new
tires put on the wheels, all in the same trip. Got home with some good
new
studs pressed in that would take new nuts, and tires that were good for
the
freeway, and wouldn't be going flat every week. I think it was worth the
time and money to FIX the problem, and do it right.

Did you go to a tire shop or what?

The drums went to NAPA, and they pressed in new lugs for $2 each, lug
included. The tires were more, were balanced, and had a warranty.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, Steve B wrote:

[...]

Ayup..and other brands of welders as well. Its one of the most common
small industrial engines ever made

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 26 Apr 2011 19:02:37 -0700

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Oh...btw...the low end price for one of these welders in so so condition
here in the oil patch..is $2000.

One like that, will sell for $500-800

So ... what's right with it? (I suspect that may be a shorter
list)

Gunner

Well..its a Lincoln SA200 or SA300. for a start.
Its on its own trailer
It appears to be all there.
The trailer is custom with places for welding bottles..and in the right
place too!

Theres 5 things....

Just cause it LOOKS like ****...doesnt mean its definately ****. It
might just be ****ty looking.

So ... "All this ****, there may even be a pony around here!"?

I know a couple guys who might get it, 'just because it has
possibilities...'

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, Steve B wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote

It's hard to say. How far is it to the shop?

Or ... take the wheels off & take just them to the shop.

Bob

I took my drums and wheels off. Had new studs put on the wheels, and new
tires put on the wheels, all in the same trip. Got home with some good
new
studs pressed in that would take new nuts, and tires that were good for
the
freeway, and wouldn't be going flat every week. I think it was worth the
time and money to FIX the problem, and do it right.

Did you go to a tire shop or what?

The drums went to NAPA, and they pressed in new lugs for $2 each, lug
included. The tires were more, were balanced, and had a warranty.

Thanks. I am just trying to figure out what to do tomorrow. If I can
do the whole thing at NAPA -- change tires and all -- I would rather
do that. Do they change tires also? I guess I should figure out what
is close to the location, and call them up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SA-200-2.jpg

Oh...btw...the low end price for one of these welders in so so condition
here in the oil patch..is $2000.

One like that, will sell for $500-800

So ... what's right with it? (I suspect that may be a shorter
list)

Gunner

Well..its a Lincoln SA200 or SA300. for a start.
Its on its own trailer
It appears to be all there.
The trailer is custom with places for welding bottles..and in the right
place too!

Theres 5 things....

Just cause it LOOKS like ****...doesnt mean its definately ****. It
might just be ****ty looking.

So ... "All this ****, there may even be a pony around here!"?

I know a couple guys who might get it, 'just because it has
possibilities...'

Oh indeed....most definately indeed!!!

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-27, Steve B wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote

[...]

No..NAPA doesnt to tires..least none Ive ever seen.
Check the phone book for a tire store or a small mom and pop tire place
that will sell and mount a pair of used tires.

Out here in California..its largely all Latino operated...most latinos
wont register their vehicles...let alone buy new tires....

Insurance....not a chance.

Shrug

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus14859" wrote

Thanks. I am just trying to figure out what to do tomorrow. If I can
do the whole thing at NAPA -- change tires and all -- I would rather
do that. Do they change tires also? I guess I should figure out what
is close to the location, and call them up.

Ig, that is like asking me is it going to rain tomorrow. It all depends on
where you live. HERE, NAPA doesn't do tires. They do some light machine
work, like pressing in lugs and bearings. It all depends on where you live,
just like the weather.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-04-26, Ignoramus7326 wrote:
[...]

Bueno, bwana. Sounds like a plan. If you have any air pigs, fill
them and take them, too.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
On Apr 26, 7:29 pm, Karl
wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:37:35 -0500, Ignoramus7326

My 2 cents. You get more return on painting used equipment than
anything else you can do. This is especially true for anything you are
selling to hobbyists.

Karl

Known in the trade as a "rattle can overhaul."

Aerosol overhaul in some circles.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:48:01 -0700

wrote:

[...]

Dang - the one is working OT out the wazzoo, the other is making
ends barely meet. Too much work for a road trip, not enough work to
be able to afford a road trip.

Sigh, time and money are constant. You either have one, or the
other.