Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Day 22

Good day today.

I accompanied my daughter the dope dealer and a friend and his son to
visit a gun show in search of a .50BMG Barrett rifle, M82 if you care,
that can drop various varmints (or trucks) from 1000 meters. Much
better than moping around, right? We're gettin' positive here.

Karen really is a dope dealer. She works at a place in Colorado that
legally dispenses marijuana for medicinal purposes. It's a legitimate
business with licenses, taxes, DEA inspections and major capital
investment. My mother the physician thought mj should be available as
a prescription drug like any other narcotic back in the 50's. Ma's
views weren't always popular within the establishment. Ma was educated
at U.C. Berkeley, need I say more?

No luck with the rifle today, but Karl will find one eventually. He
was ready to buy today, had the jingle in his jeans -- or somewhere on
his person.

I didn't see anything I couldn't leave without. But it was fun, and
we had a very enjoyable lunch and chat afterwards. Thanks, Karl!

When we got home Karen wanted a nap so I went for my walk. On the
walk, I was thinking about what my resume might say if I were to seek
an occasional companion to share activities once in a while. I'm not
talking about getting laid here. What are my interests, what do I do?
I was amazed to discover that I really didn't know what I did with my
time when Mary was alive and well before the Mayo era and rehab
center weeks. Oooh, Toivo, dat resume is gonna need work!

I futzed in the shop, went shooting now and then, cleaned guns
afterwards, made more ammo, did something with Mary every day (go to
WalMart, appointments, errands, visit friends, etc), probably spent
more time with email and metalworking newsgroup than I realized.

I could truthfully say that I like to write. There's a draw, watch
geezer clatter away at a keyboard, right? Mary also liked to write
and wrote very well, so she clattered her keyboard mornings while I
clattered mine late at night. We seldom shared our writings and I
noticed after her passing that she'd deleted all of her sent mail --
which makes me wonder if she came out here to my lab and sanctum
sanctorum to read my sent mail before I got up much later than she.

I found incoming email from someone who's initials matched someone I
only knew as "J.P.", the lover from whom I won Mary. She was in
correspondence with him. I sent him an email from her machine
tersely saying "From Don, Mary died."

He responded to her email with subject line "To Don." I can see why
she liked and maybe loved him. I think I'd like him too. He was her
boss, a PhD in psych, said Mary was the most complex personality he'd
ever encountered. Well duh! Not knocking ed creds, but many years of
up close, personal and payin' attention beats the hell out of academic
creds. Mary said several times that I knew her better than she knew
herself. I think she was mostly right about that though I think she
understood better than I that she was on final and she protected me
from that with incredible courage and pluck.

We were very closely bound as a couple and small team, but we were
still individuals with distinct identities. How can you love another
that isn't an entity beyond and distinct from yourself, right? Mary
was never "Mrs. Foreman" to either of us; she was always my loving
wife and partner Mary K. McCann.

We enjoyed some TV programs together, an hour or two and occasionally
3 each evening in our adjacent recliners while holding hands. The
quickest of us got the really good yellow quilt on winter nights, and
of course would immediately offer it to the other, who of course would
demur. If said other didn't demur, he or she was gleefully told,
"better luck next time, slowpoke!"

I like to banter playfully. I really enjoyed that with Mary and still
do with friends and family.

Screw it, I don't need a resume.

Karen is trying to decide whether to return to Colorado tomorrow or
Tuesday. I told her I'd be very glad to have her stay another day and
would cover her ticket penalty for changing it if she decided that
way, but thought she should decide based on what *she* wants to do
with me while here. I think I'm ready to solo whenever she decides to
leave. Good thing, because it's time.

I have various "people contact" activities scheduled for most days
next week, including various appointments with professionals
(financial, legal, medical) that I count because conversation happens.
I have local backup if I need it: both Kevin and Dave have spare
rooms and have confirmed that I am welcome to come and crash if I
feel the need. I believe that they are sincere. Hah! Wait a few
weeks, they'll be delighted to have me if I mow before leaving!

I don't think I'll need that but I'm glad to know that net is
available to me. I will, however, try to arrange fairly frequent
encounters and activities like shared meals at my house or theirs (or
at restaurants) for a while.

Tomorrow, Sunday (today actually)I've invited the local contingent for
supper here. I'll make my patent fish creole, lots of it. I
discovered Mary's rice stash in the basement today. Man, do we have
good rice, all bought at the Tesco in London except for the stash of
MN wild rice. Rice is good. Ya won't starve after catastrophe
happens if you have rice.

Rice, ammo, skills, drinking water and warm clothing. No wonder she
liked me!

Maybe I'll do more projects and stuff with my family than I have in
the past. I'll also spend more time than I have with the few friends
we had. I'll be more open to new friendships than I have been but
I'll remain very careful about that. Good friendships are built over
time, one brick at a time.

Mary and I were almost hermits in the comfortable self-sufficiency of
trusting, sharing companionship we built over 30 years. Well, more
like 15 or 20 since I'd call the last 10 to 15 "harvest years" or
"golden years". We enjoyed every single day together, aside from her
various travel adventures I was happy to skip and was forgiven for
doing so.

There is still some lumpy difficult time every day but it's managable
and I now am confident that the frequency, duration and intensity of
those times will continue to diminish. I'm much less confident about
that during those times, of course, but I think I'm now pretty much
past terror, despair and despondency.

It seems like everything I see reminds me of Mary. The gun show was
in Stillwater, MN. Mary loved Stillwater! I go to Target, recall when
we went to Target shopping together. Wal-Mart is building an addition
on the Fridley store and it hit me like the whump of a 155mm Howitzer
when I suddenly associated that with the Wallies in Sauk Center that
we visited each trip enroute to the cabin to buy vittles. "I'll get
the deli stuff, good bread and produce, you get the other stuff. Meet
you on main street in front of the checkouts." "You really like the
deli lady, don't you!" "What's not to like about tits?" And so on.

Those experiences definitely produce yanks, but I think it's a good
thing as I'm starting to be able to feel the positive associations,
the times we enjoyed, as well as the painful sadness of her absence
now. I may leak a little but sometimes I'm smiling with pleasure of
the memory as I leak.

So I'm healing. Gawd, it's slow! Long ways to go, no different from
all those men and women who have gone before me on similar low crawls
over sharp rocks. I'm merely a chronicler of the process.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 03:42:14 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

[...]

Your doing good Don. Very well written too.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for sharing, Don.

Had a fun day, even if I did strike out. Searching and watching for a
deal is half the fun. It was nice to meet your daughter.

Back at the kid's place, I struck out a couple more times. The panel
mount on/off switch I'd salvaged from the scrap bin was defective - I
hadn't checked it ahead of time. So, I had to use an old light switch.
Then the VFD had some sort of password lockout to prevent changing
parameters so i had to wipe its memory and re-init the thing. It was
getting late in the day - not my best time for figuring how to program
a model I've never worked with. Looks like I actually have to read the
manual. AND then make another trip over to the kids place. Who knows,
it may just line up with the next day there's a gun show in town. Want
to come?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
Good day today.

I accompanied my daughter the dope dealer and a friend and his son to
visit a gun show in search of a .50BMG Barrett rifle, M82 if you care,
that can drop various varmints (or trucks) from 1000 meters. Much
better than moping around, right? We're gettin' positive here.

Karen really is a dope dealer. She works at a place in Colorado that
legally dispenses marijuana for medicinal purposes. It's a legitimate

Ha - and I nearly grinned when you mentioned Mary's friend Mary Jane!

(Here in Australia the name MJ is non-existant and only used in reference to
pot)

Good to hear your spirit is lifting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
Good day today.

I accompanied my daughter the dope dealer and a friend and his son to
visit a gun show in search of a .50BMG Barrett rifle, M82 if you care,
that can drop various varmints (or trucks) from 1000 meters. Much
better than moping around, right? We're gettin' positive here.

Karen really is a dope dealer. She works at a place in Colorado that
legally dispenses marijuana for medicinal purposes. It's a legitimate
business with licenses, taxes, DEA inspections and major capital
investment. My mother the physician thought mj should be available as
a prescription drug like any other narcotic back in the 50's. Ma's
views weren't always popular within the establishment. Ma was educated
at U.C. Berkeley, need I say more?

I investigated California's mj clinics, having chronic pain. Being an out
of stater, it's only for Californians. The other day in Las Vegas, I saw a
storefront that blazed " Medical Marijuana Clinic " opening soon. I guess
they loosened up a little.

I may investigate it, having dual residences.

I smoked in my youth, and I can't see all the falderal about responsible
use. Alcohol is abused a lot, and that's just taxed. I got in way more hot
water due to alcohol than mj.

I'm going in a week for a pow wow with the orthopedic surgeon about my neck.
Having had a broken back, and a degenerative bone disease, I'm open to any
suggestion on pain relief. I'm currently on some Rx's from the doctor. I'm
not seeing any major miracles for reconstructive bone disease surgery.

I have had the big 12" zipper cut operation, and all that goes with it.
That one caught me unaware, and they don't tell you anything in advance.

This one has me plain scared.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I smoked in my youth, and I can't see all the falderal about responsible
use. Alcohol is abused a lot, and that's just taxed. I got in way more hot
water due to alcohol than mj.

The stuff you had in your youth is NOT the same thing. DAMHIKT

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

I smoked in my youth, and I can't see all the falderal about responsible
use. Alcohol is abused a lot, and that's just taxed. I got in way more
hot
water due to alcohol than mj.

The stuff you had in your youth is NOT the same thing. DAMHIKT

Karl

Yes, I know. It was so bad, they don't grow it any more because no one will
buy it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 20:51:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I smoked in my youth, and I can't see all the falderal about responsible
use. Alcohol is abused a lot, and that's just taxed. I got in way more hot
water due to alcohol than mj.

The stuff you had in your youth is NOT the same thing. DAMHIKT

Karl

]

True enough. The stuff today is WAY WAY more potent than what I smoked
in the 60s

Way more potent.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:45:29 -0700
wrote:

I smoked in my youth, and I can't see all the falderal about responsible
use. Alcohol is abused a lot, and that's just taxed. I got in way more hot
water due to alcohol than mj.

The stuff you had in your youth is NOT the same thing. DAMHIKT

Karl

]

True enough. The stuff today is WAY WAY more potent than what I smoked
in the 60s

Way more potent.

I've heard it that if the same amount of effort put into improving
pot had gone into food crops and the space program, we'd have two
pound coffee beans from Starbucks on Mars.

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 06:31:36 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:
Who knows,
it may just line up with the next day there's a gun show in town. Want
to come?

yoo bet if I'm free. I usually am. I don't need any more guns butI do
like looking and fondling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Gunner Asch on Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:45:29 -0700
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 20:51:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
[Somebody whose name got snipped]

I smoked in my youth, and I can't see all the falderal about responsible
use. Alcohol is abused a lot, and that's just taxed. I got in way more
hot water due to alcohol than mj.

The stuff you had in your youth is NOT the same thing. DAMHIKT

True enough. The stuff today is WAY WAY more potent than what I smoked
in the 60s

Way more potent.

I've heard it that if the same amount of effort put into improving
pot had gone into food crops and the space program, we'd have two
pound coffee beans from Starbucks on Mars.

Well, there are "weaker" varieties - there are still underground dealers,
who sell whatever backyard/ditchweed they can get their hands on, but it's
like $20.00/quarter. Medicinal, I hear, is astronomical! (albeit it's the
most powerful pot I've had since Thai stick.)

Y'know, speaking of pot, I really wish people would quit comparing it to
alcohol. It's NOTHING AT ALL LIKE ALCOHOL!!!! Alcohol makes you stupid and
belligerent - pot makes you contemplative and peaceful. I think it's the
peaceful part that ****es off the reefer madness crowd the most.

And here's the best-kept secret ever:

Marijuana cures alcohol hangovers.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Apr 11, 5:42*am, Rich Grise wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Mostly, it makes you lazy.
I didn't like that part.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:
On Apr 11, 5:42*am, Rich Grise wrote:
Marijuana cures alcohol hangovers.

Mostly, it makes you lazy.
I didn't like that part.

Well, yeah - that also makes it safer - there are no stoned drivers,
because when you're enjoying the reveries of your herbal medication,
you don't even _feel_ like driving anywhere! ;-) (as long as you have
enough Twinkies on hand. ;-D )

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

It only made me horney. And there werent always willing women around, so
I smoked little of it.

Last time was in 1983, after trying to sleep 5 days after the Coalinga
Earthquake..and 5 days of searching fallen buildings for bodies and
digging people out of their collapsed homes and businesses.

It finally allowed me to collapse and sleep for 18 hours under a tarp.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote in
:

Good day today.

Glad to hear it.

snip
I was thinking about what my resume might say if I were to seek
an occasional companion to share activities once in a while. I'm not
talking about getting laid here. What are my interests, what do I do?
I was amazed to discover that I really didn't know what I did with my
time when Mary was alive and well before the Mayo era and rehab
center weeks. Oooh, Toivo, dat resume is gonna need work!

I futzed in the shop, went shooting now and then, cleaned guns
afterwards, made more ammo, did something with Mary every day (go to
WalMart, appointments, errands, visit friends, etc), probably spent
more time with email and metalworking newsgroup than I realized.

snip

Here's a thought (worth what you paid for it). Given how much you like
shooting, I'd suggest finding a club in your area when you feel up to it.
Not just a range, but a real club with an active membership. Get linked
up with the instructors & start helping with classes. You will be
spending time with like minded folk, and from what I've read, you like
teaching & introducing newbies to the sport. These days there will also
usually be women showing up. Most of them will be dragged there by a
significant other, but we get occasional single women that are worth
talking to. It's a long shot (as it were), but at least you meet women
who aren't rabidly anti-gun. There may also be some female club members
worth getting to know. My club has sparked more than one good
relationship, and I met my wife through shooting.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise on Mon, 11 Apr 2011 03:42:18
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Gunner Asch on Sun, 10 Apr 2011 21:45:29 -0700
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 20:51:04 -0500, Karl Townsend
[Somebody whose name got snipped]

I smoked in my youth, and I can't see all the falderal about responsible
use. Alcohol is abused a lot, and that's just taxed. I got in way more
hot water due to alcohol than mj.

The stuff you had in your youth is NOT the same thing. DAMHIKT

True enough. The stuff today is WAY WAY more potent than what I smoked
in the 60s

Way more potent.

I've heard it that if the same amount of effort put into improving
pot had gone into food crops and the space program, we'd have two
pound coffee beans from Starbucks on Mars.

Well, there are "weaker" varieties - there are still underground dealers,
who sell whatever backyard/ditchweed they can get their hands on, but it's

I heard of a case, where the DA was charging the guy with "intent
to traffic". He'd been growing his own because he couldn't afford the
"good stuff". Most of the trial pivoted on the street value of
"Minnesota Brown."

like $20.00/quarter. Medicinal, I hear, is astronomical! (albeit it's the
most powerful pot I've had since Thai stick.)

Y'know, speaking of pot, I really wish people would quit comparing it to
alcohol. It's NOTHING AT ALL LIKE ALCOHOL!!!! Alcohol makes you stupid and
belligerent - pot makes you contemplative and peaceful.

Not so much "contemplative" as "passive". Cannabis, at the lower
end of the quality control issue, has been used much as beer was - to
give the workers something to get a buzz on, to mask the drudgery of
the work they were doing.

I think it's the
peaceful part that ****es off the reefer madness crowd the most.

The fact that Pot is illegal, is what makes it a "gateway drug".
OTOH, I know of people who will claim that pot was the gateway to more
addictive stuff - had it not been for pot, they would never have
started smoking tobacco.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:18:39 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Not so much "contemplative" as "passive". Cannabis, at the lower
end of the quality control issue, has been used much as beer was - to
give the workers something to get a buzz on, to mask the drudgery of
the work they were doing.

In 1975 I did 6 weeks at the Fischer Body plant running a spot welder. A
very large number of the guys I worked with were stoned the entire
shift.

The work was absolutely brain numbing and I understood why they were pot
heads. I left and went to more "interesting" work in the oil fields.

I made damned good money..but the spector of becoming another pot head
was far far more of a concern than the money.

Gunner