Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More mill progress

I fixed (welded) one cast iron bracket that held the roller for the
front part of the skirt. Used Nickel 99.

I removed the rear skirt and junked it, as it was old, stiff, had
tears, and lots of chips embedded. Mike Henry gave me some rubber and
neoprene sheets a couple of years ago, I used pieces from them for
some miscellaneous purposes, but now I just made a great use of one
rubber sheet as the rear skirt. It fully covers the ways, with some
extra on each side.

Milled some machinable wax to test some of my G-code scripts. I
finally have a perl fuction to generate G-code to mill a deep
rectangular pocket in many passes, debugged. It is funny how bugs in
code translate into incorrectly milled pieces.

So now I can mill a deep rectangular pocket of more or less any
dimension. Because in CNC there is not much difference between bigger
and smaller, I machined small pockets to save wax.

Bought a slab of wax and stearine at a hobby store. I will try to
follow some homemade machinable wax recipes. I use a "Presto kitchen
kettle" to melt the wax. I poured my first one today and will report
how it works out after it cools down.