Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Default SN 74S196

I'm looking for four / five of these prehistoric reptiles from the
ttl-epoch : SN 74S196.

Google seems no offer to me other chances than ask here.

Thanks.

Massimo

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"Massimo Corinaldesi" wrote in
message ...
I'm looking for four / five of these prehistoric reptiles
from the ttl-epoch : SN 74S196.

Google seems no offer to me other chances than ask here.

Thanks.

Massimo

I looked through my ancient TTL assortment and found two
74S196 and a single 74LS196BN. These were new and you can
have them if that would be helpful.

David

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

In article , Massimo Corinaldesi
writes

I'm looking for four / five of these prehistoric reptiles from the
ttl-epoch : SN 74S196.

Try looking for a 74LS196. Whether it works depends on your circuit -
does it go to some form of external connector with a long wired
connection to its destination?

I have a feeling that it's some form of line driver which has blown in
the recent bad weather (it's got a very long connection to a terminal,
printer etc. and has picked up some form of line noise from e.g. a storm
which has blown it.)

Other examples are LM26LS30, SN75159, possibly LM319. Not drop-in
replacements!

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Massimo Corinaldesi wrote:
I'm looking for four / five of these prehistoric reptiles from the
ttl-epoch : SN 74S196.

Google seems no offer to me other chances than ask here.

Thanks.

Massimo

Ebay # 380175062394

Based in the UK, worldwide shipping.

JC
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Massimo Corinaldesi
writes

I'm looking for four / five of these prehistoric reptiles from the
ttl-epoch : SN 74S196.

Try looking for a 74LS196. Whether it works depends on your circuit -
does it go to some form of external connector with a long wired
connection to its destination?

I have a feeling that it's some form of line driver which has blown in
the recent bad weather (it's got a very long connection to a terminal,
printer etc. and has picked up some form of line noise from e.g. a storm
which has blown it.)

No, it's a presettable decade counter, seen in many frequency counters
in the old days because it was faster than the other counters in the 74XX
series. The straight 74196 was supposed to be good up to 50MHz, which was
better than the 15 or 20 MHz of the 7490 that was common in such things.
A lot of counters used the 74196 for the decade counter of the least
significant digit, which well improved the range of the counter; the
output was then low enough (since the input frequency was divided by
ten) that all the rest of the counter could be "normal" 74XX.

The LS was supposed to be good to 30MHz, the S good to 100MHz.

What might replace it would depend on what it's being used for, some of
the "more recent" 74XX series, at least in the faster logic families,
are likely as fast or faster, and perhaps easier to find, though that
depends on whether the circuit can be adapted.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair Michael Black wrote:

I have a feeling that it's some form of line driver which has blown in
the recent bad weather (it's got a very long connection to a terminal,
printer etc. and has picked up some form of line noise from e.g. a storm
which has blown it.)

No, it's a presettable decade counter, seen in many frequency counters
in the old days because it was faster than the other counters in the 74XX
series. The straight 74196 was supposed to be good up to 50MHz, which was
better than the 15 or 20 MHz of the 7490 that was common in such things.
A lot of counters used the 74196 for the decade counter of the least
significant digit, which well improved the range of the counter; the
output was then low enough (since the input frequency was divided by
ten) that all the rest of the counter could be "normal" 74XX.

The LS was supposed to be good to 30MHz, the S good to 100MHz.

I would look for either the 74ALS196 or 74F196, I don't know if they
exists at all and are obtainable, but those logic families are TTL and
usually faster than LS and S families.
Of course if there's really need for the a faster unit than the LS one.

Best regards

Frank IZ8DWF
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Default video processor VDP3116B line sync failure

Hello!

A ten year old color TV set of mine with vacuum picture tube has
recently lost its horizontal synchronization: the display shows the
corresponding diagonal stripes, slanting from left to right. Vertical
synchronization is functional however.

The entire video processing of the set is done by a Micronas VDP3116B
processor in a 64-pin shrink-DIP package. I have checked those external
voltages and signals that appear to be vital for its proper operation,
and they all looked ok. The only symptom of misbehavior is that, with a
video test signal with a synch-to-synch pulse distance of 63.9 us fed
into the VDP default video input pin 63 (VIN3), the output signal on pin
50 (HOUT) shows the shorter period is 63.1 us, where a duty cycle of 50%
moreover confirms the lack of synchronization, according to the VDP
datasheet. The synch signal output on the unused pin 7 (FSY) has the
wrong period of 63.1 us too, but here the duty cycle is around 7%, which
looks ok.

The VDP3116B is configured by the control processor (an ST92R195) of the
TV set via an I2C-bus interface; disconnecting the interface lines and
using a hardware reset on the VDP3116B didn't restore horizontal
synchronization (I believe the VDP default parameters should suffice for
synch extraction). Nor did a replacement of the VDP3116B chip restore
horizontal synchronization!

A wiring diagram of a closely related TV model is available at
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/983/Schneider_TV9.html, almost
everything of significance here is in agreement with my board). A 1998
version of the VDP3116B datasheet can be found at
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/101251/MICRONAS/VDP3116B.html.

Any suggestions? How can a working Micronas VDP3116B loose its ability
to extract the horizontal synchronization of the input video signal?

Martin.