Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Geocities goes dark after today

If you have any Geocities bookmarks, now would be
a good time to find the new location for those pages.

If you cut a string from the page today
and paste it into Google as a phrase
http://google.com/search?q=%22+I-liv...gland&filter=0
you should be able to find a dupe.

Adding &filter=0 to the URL lists all instances.

Of the 7 Geocities pages I had bookmarked,
only 1 guy hasn't put up a new page
(or at least that's what Google said).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/26/2009 1:27 PM JeffM spake thus:

If you have any Geocities bookmarks, now would be
a good time to find the new location for those pages.

If you cut a string from the page today
and paste it into Google as a phrase
http://google.com/search?q=%22+I-liv...gland&filter=0
you should be able to find a dupe.

Adding &filter=0 to the URL lists all instances.

Of the 7 Geocities pages I had bookmarked,
only 1 guy hasn't put up a new page
(or at least that's what Google said).

I have a Geo****ties page that I'm just going to let die ...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I have a Geo****ties page that I'm just going to let die ...

Have you looked at archive.org to see if it is archived there?

Note: The Wayback Machine doesn't store images--only text;
it would be good to make backups of graphics
if you ever wanted to bring it back to life.

http://xkcd.com has a "tribute" page today as well.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/26/2009 5:29 PM JeffM spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I have a Geo****ties page that I'm just going to let die ...

Have you looked at archive.org to see if it is archived there?

Couldn't care less if it is archived.

Note: The Wayback Machine doesn't store images--only text;
it would be good to make backups of graphics
if you ever wanted to bring it back to life.

I always get a laugh when people start going on about how one should
always back up stuff you put up on a website. As if I would ever put
files on a site and *not* have them on my computah. (I know you didn't
mean it that way, but still.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/26/2009 1:27 PM JeffM spake thus:

If you have any Geocities bookmarks, now would be
a good time to find the new location for those pages.

I just checked my stuff on Geocities; it's still there. So when are they
going to pull the plug?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JeffM wrote in message
If you have any Geocities bookmarks, now would be
a good time to find the new location for those pages.

If you cut a string from the page today
and paste it into Google as a phrase

http://google.com/search?q=%22+I-liv...-the-South-Coa
st-of-England&filter=0
you should be able to find a dupe.

Adding &filter=0 to the URL lists all instances.

Of the 7 Geocities pages I had bookmarked,
only 1 guy hasn't put up a new page
(or at least that's what Google said).

Could I remind anyone doing any rescuing/ re-siting etc to add the original
geocities URL to the page, for search engines and so later searchers, to
cross-refer backwards

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

and paste it into Google as a phrasehttp://google.com/search?q=%22+I-live-in-St.Leonards.on.Sea.on-the-So...
you should be able to find a dupe.

Adding *&filter=0 *to the URL lists all instances.

Of the 7 Geocities pages I had bookmarked,
only 1 guy hasn't put up a new page
(or at least that's what Google said).

Oh man, I had a geocities page back in the... mid-90's maybe? Whenever
it first came in to existence.
Does this mean I can pretend I am slightly older and wiser now?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/27/2009 6:18 AM Jake spake thus:

On Oct 26, 5:27 pm, JeffM wrote:

If you have any Geocities bookmarks, now would be
a good time to find the new location for those pages.

Oh man, I had a geocities page back in the... mid-90's maybe? Whenever
it first came in to existence.
Does this mean I can pretend I am slightly older and wiser now?

Hey, you can *always* pretend that. I often do.