Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Good Will GPS1810OH Power supply problem

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

I contacted the company and they gave me the runaround for about a week
then finally told me to buy a new one. They had no drawing of it and
told me it was not sold in the states. Not sure where I got this one
at. Its been on the bench so long that I have forgotten where I bought
it. But it was a good supply till it failed.

Thanks!!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:42:40 -0500, Samantha
wrote:

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

I contacted the company and they gave me the runaround for about a week
then finally told me to buy a new one. They had no drawing of it and
told me it was not sold in the states. Not sure where I got this one
at. Its been on the bench so long that I have forgotten where I bought
it. But it was a good supply till it failed.

I don't know what the differences would be (other than 10A/20A)
between your GPS1810H (that's a zero) and my GPR1820H, but if you can
post a pic somewhere I can compare that to the board(s) in mine and
maybe that will shed some light. I also have a full schematic of the
GPR-M/H series and a somewhat basic componenet overlay of a/the pcb
for that GPR series.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

okay, I posted a picture of it in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

the ic2 appears to be a 741 and that is probably what this one is as
well.. But any pics or docs you have on it would be appreciated...
thanks!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

you can contact me at

remplace my name with nospam.

samantha
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

I contacted the company and they gave me the runaround for about a week
then finally told me to buy a new one. They had no drawing of it and
told me it was not sold in the states. Not sure where I got this one
at. Its been on the bench so long that I have forgotten where I bought
it. But it was a good supply till it failed.

Interesting failure mode; just blew the top but didn't seem to scorch
the PCB.

I'd guess a jelly bean op amp or comparator. My money would be a
comparator for the current limiting input, so odds are it's an op amp.
The resistor layout around it may give a clue.

May want to throw the pic up on a web service. Some usenet servers
discard binaries in text groups so some folks with insight into it may
not see the image. I've used Imageshack for similar posts; it's free and
as far as I have seen they've never used the sign-up info for spammage.
http://imageshack.us/

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

okay.. I will post the picture there.. brb
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Samantha wrote:

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

I contacted the company and they gave me the runaround for about a week
then finally told me to buy a new one. They had no drawing of it and
told me it was not sold in the states. Not sure where I got this one
at. Its been on the bench so long that I have forgotten where I bought
it. But it was a good supply till it failed.

Thanks!!!

picture can be found at

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/gps139cboard.jpg/

tell me if this address doesn't work.. K?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:58:41 -0500, Samantha
wrote:

In article ,
Samantha wrote:

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

I contacted the company and they gave me the runaround for about a week
then finally told me to buy a new one. They had no drawing of it and
told me it was not sold in the states. Not sure where I got this one
at. Its been on the bench so long that I have forgotten where I bought
it. But it was a good supply till it failed.

Thanks!!!

picture can be found at

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/gps139cboard.jpg/

tell me if this address doesn't work.. K?

worked for me. Unfortunately, that board is totally different to the
PR-8509 pcb in my 1820H, so the info I have is basically useless.

The 150 ohm 2W resistor looks to have heated the pcb near the TO-220
device (reg?). Also, is that goo near the large electro (bottom edge
area) for mech strength or is it leakage?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

who where wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:58:41 -0500, Samantha
wrote:

In article ,
Samantha wrote:

[...]

It is low grade glue that degrades with heat.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
who where wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:58:41 -0500, Samantha
wrote:

In article ,
Samantha wrote:

[...]

well, hopefully someone will have on their bench.. thanks for looking!!!

S.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Samantha wrote in message
In article ,
Samantha wrote:

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

I contacted the company and they gave me the runaround for about a week
then finally told me to buy a new one. They had no drawing of it and
told me it was not sold in the states. Not sure where I got this one
at. Its been on the bench so long that I have forgotten where I bought
it. But it was a good supply till it failed.

Thanks!!!

picture can be found at

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/gps139cboard.jpg/

tell me if this address doesn't work.. K?

Its not fried, it has blasted off the top section, have you had a good hunt
for it ?
What is the script on IC2, there's too much glare to read ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

Samantha wrote in message
In article ,
Samantha wrote:

[...]

Its a 741 op amp.. I will post another picture in
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic with less glare..

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:34:26 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote:

Samantha wrote in message
In article ,
Samantha wrote:

[...]

You might send an email to the American distributor for the Good Will
line and ask for service data.

INSTEK AMERICA CORP.
3661 Walnut Avenue , Chino , CA 91710
TEL : 909-591-8358
FAX : 909-591-2280
http://www.instek.com/
Email:

Cheers!
Dave M
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I can't help with the IC identification, but the exposed chip could make an
interesting conversation piece or paper weight, imbedded in water-clear
resin, for example.
Geek-types might compulsively ask.. how did you do that?

The brown glue near the electrolytic cap (lower-right) looks like the nasty
brown glue that was used in a lot of consumer electronic gear of the 70s and
80s.
The glue that was used then, would become conductive as it aged, causing
(tens, hundreds of) thousands of operational faults.

When you lift the board to replace the IC, it would probably be worthwhile
to touch up/reflow with fresh solder, any questionable/flakey looking solder
connections.

Searches may be problematic because of the irrelavent GPS in the model
number. There were probably several variations of the same power supply made
at the time, with different model numbers and brand names.
The 723 voltage regulator was a very popular v-r for these types of
supplies, and finding a schematic and/or parts list for a similar type of
power supply may be helpful, but a long shot.
You may receive more help by trying the other sci.electronics newsgroups,
and amateur/ham radio groups, as many electronics enthusiasts often have
numerous power supplies.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Samantha" wrote in message
In article ,
Samantha wrote:

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

I contacted the company and they gave me the runaround for about a week
then finally told me to buy a new one. They had no drawing of it and
told me it was not sold in the states. Not sure where I got this one
at. Its been on the bench so long that I have forgotten where I bought
it. But it was a good supply till it failed.

Thanks!!!

picture can be found at

http://img29.imageshack.us/i/gps139cboard.jpg/

tell me if this address doesn't work.. K?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:42:40 -0500, Samantha
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

Where is the heatsink for the pass transistor (?) for the uA723C
regulator?

Where is the missing relay (top), and if it isn't missing, then why is
the PCB populated with its support components?

Can you trace the circuit around IC3?

What is IC2?

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:42:40 -0500, Samantha
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an old GPS1810OH Power supply and I wanted to know if any of you
might have one on your bench... Mine has a semiconductor that has the
top of it fried and I can't read the part number... If anyone has one
that could read off the part number, or better yet... a drawing of the
regulator board... well... know that is too much to ask.

Where is the heatsink for the pass transistor (?) for the uA723C
regulator?

Where is the missing relay (top), and if it isn't missing, then why is
the PCB populated with its support components?

Can you trace the circuit around IC3?

What is IC2?

- Franc Zabkar

Ic2 seems to be a 741 op amp... I thought that IC3 MIGHT be the same..
and it PROBABLY is.. Just not sure... Havn't taken the board out yet
and tried to retrace what is going on.. was just at the research stage
where I am trying to find out if there are any drawings or someone that
has had one of them open before.

Thanks!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:02:07 -0500, Samantha
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Ic2 seems to be a 741 op amp... I thought that IC3 MIGHT be the same..
and it PROBABLY is..

If IC3 is also a 741, then this would beg the question, could the
designer have used a dual op-amp, and if so, why not?

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:02:07 -0500, Samantha
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Ic2 seems to be a 741 op amp... I thought that IC3 MIGHT be the
same.. and it PROBABLY is..

If IC3 is also a 741, then this would beg the question, could the
designer have used a dual op-amp, and if so, why not?

- Franc Zabkar

Could easily have been a cost issue. Saving a few pennies on several
thousand components lowers the bottom line cost for a product. Increases
the profit margin, making owners and/or investors happy.
--
David
masondg44 at comcast dot net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:28:56 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:02:07 -0500, Samantha
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Ic2 seems to be a 741 op amp... I thought that IC3 MIGHT be the same..
and it PROBABLY is..

If IC3 is also a 741, then this would beg the question, could the
designer have used a dual op-amp, and if so, why not?

FWIW Franc, my GPR -M/H schematic has two 741's and a 301. Who knows
how and why designers make decisions? I don't, and probably many of
my design decisions are a mystery to others ;-)