Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- teletype manual

There has been discussion of the ASR 33 Teletype recently. I'm digging
through stuff I should have thrown out 20 years ago, and have found a
technical manual for a type 33.
Anyone with a use for it can have it before it heads to the
documentation library in the sky.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl fired this volley in news:h4gbjc
:

There has been discussion of the ASR 33 Teletype recently. I'm

digging
through stuff I should have thrown out 20 years ago, and have found

technical manual for a type 33.
Anyone with a use for it can have it before it heads to the
documentation library in the sky.

Kevin Gallimore

I'd love to have it, Kevin. I maintained them for years, and still
have a few friends who keep them for the paper tape reader function.

PM me, and I'll make sure it doesn't cost you anything.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 6:57*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
axolotl fired this volley in news:h4gbjc
:

There has been discussion of the ASR 33 Teletype recently. I'm

digging
through stuff I should have thrown out 20 years ago, and have found

technical manual for a type 33.

I'd love to have it, Kevin. *I maintained them for years, and still
have a few friends who keep them for the paper tape reader function.

Any chance of offering it to Google books - even as a scan?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 25, 8:30 pm, axolotl wrote:
There has been discussion of the ASR 33 Teletype recently. I'm digging
through stuff I should have thrown out 20 years ago, and have found a
technical manual for a type 33.
Anyone with a use for it can have it before it heads to the
documentation library in the sky.

Kevin Gallimore

This terminal was the first computer experience I had, back in 68, I
was in 7th grade and the school system had these with the phone hand
set modem at 110 baud (does anyone remember FOCAL programing
language?). Somewhere in the system was a PDP11, I have the 16K core
memory from that computer when it was scrapped (circa 1981).
What truly amazes me is that with all the unique piece parts that spun
the upper case ascii character cylinder, that we could ever build such
a thing (in the USA) with all the hours of labor and minions of unique
designed (on paper) and manufactured components.

ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 26, 1:23*pm, ignator wrote:
What truly amazes me is that with all the unique piece parts that spun
the upper case ascii character cylinder, that we could ever build such
a thing (in the USA) with all the hours of labor and minions of unique
designed (on paper) and manufactured components.

ignator

They are descended from sewing machines, typewriters, bicycles etc
which inspired mass production on automatic machinery beginning around
the 1880's.
http://www.earlyofficemuseum.com/cal...ng_listing.htm

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ignator wrote:
On Jul 25, 8:30 pm, axolotl wrote:
There has been discussion of the ASR 33 Teletype recently. I'm digging
through stuff I should have thrown out 20 years ago, and have found a
technical manual for a type 33.
Anyone with a use for it can have it before it heads to the
documentation library in the sky.

Kevin Gallimore

This terminal was the first computer experience I had, back in 68, I
was in 7th grade and the school system had these with the phone hand
set modem at 110 baud (does anyone remember FOCAL programing
language?). Somewhere in the system was a PDP11,

Actually, that would have been a PDP-8. It was a
pretty good program for the resources of a PDP-8,
and would run with only 4 K 12-bit words of memory.

I suppose at some later time somebody had a PDP-8
emulator that ran on the PDP-11 at about the same
speed. Hah! Run an interpreter on an interpreter!

Ah, the bad old days of computing.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I started rtty with model 14 gear and was in heaven. Went to model 19, 28,
33 and 35 stuff and used a lot of oil and much paper and tape. What an era!

At one time, I had 20 or so ASR 33s.

j/b

"axolotl" wrote in message
There has been discussion of the ASR 33 Teletype recently. I'm digging
through stuff I should have thrown out 20 years ago, and have found a
technical manual for a type 33.
Anyone with a use for it can have it before it heads to the documentation
library in the sky.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N Morrison fired this volley in news:a1ff8302-
:

Any chance of offering it to Google books - even as a scan?

yes; that's a good idea.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"justme" fired this volley in
:

I started rtty with model 14 gear and was in heaven. Went to model
19, 28, 33 and 35 stuff and used a lot of oil and much paper and tape.
What an era!

At one time, I had 20 or so ASR 33s.

De WA4ZEG.

..... ..