Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Superglue

I bought an ounce of 3M CA40H from Mcmaster-
Carr, to replace the expired Locktite superglue
that we normally use.

I like the 3M much better. No white fur around
the bond, seems to harden in a linear and
predictable way, giving you a little time to
fine-tune the positioning of the parts and an
excellent nozzle on the container.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-20, Jim Stewart wrote:
I bought an ounce of 3M CA40H from Mcmaster-
Carr, to replace the expired Locktite superglue
that we normally use.

What is the McMaster item number?

I like the 3M much better. No white fur around
the bond, seems to harden in a linear and
predictable way, giving you a little time to
fine-tune the positioning of the parts and an
excellent nozzle on the container.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
I bought an ounce of 3M CA40H from Mcmaster-
Carr, to replace the expired Locktite superglue
that we normally use.

I like the 3M much better. No white fur around
the bond, seems to harden in a linear and
predictable way, giving you a little time to
fine-tune the positioning of the parts and an
excellent nozzle on the container.

Could be due to the thickness or viscosity. I flew model airplanes for a
while, several years ago, but still find myself buying a lot of glues from
my local hobby shop.

They offer super glue in three viscosities from super thin (much like water)
to medium and thick (like light syrup). The thicker the glue the longer the
set time. They also have debonder and accelerator. You spread glue on one
surface and spray the accelerator on the other surface, and get a full cure
in about two seconds.

They also have 5 and 15 minute epoxies that serve very well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim wrote:
[...]

I should have given an example. I had to tack
down a tiny length of 30ga wire wrap wire on a
prototype. With the Locktite product, regardless
of the viscosity (I have all three), the glue
has zero holding power when first applied. With
the 3M product, it started holding the wire right
away, but still gave me plenty of time to fine-
tune the position.

I've also used the accelerator and I generally don't
like it. Stinky and gives me only one chance to
get it right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:56:03 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:
Tim wrote:
[...]

This technique has probably been obsoleted by the Church or Antismokerism,
but someone once taught me that the cure of the syrupy stuff (for gluing
down #30 wires) can be "activated" by holding a burning cigarette under it,
letting the second-hand smoke waft against the glue. (you have to hold
the board upside-down, so the glue is above the red ash part of the cig.)

For what it's worth.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I think they have 60 sec two-part epoxies as well, up to 90 min.
The advantage is these last near-forever when usused, don't even really need
to cap them!

Loctite and someone else, mebbe Devcon, make a super-wide array of two part
stuff.

I suspect the two part stuff is tougher than the one-part stuff, a better
polymerization dynamic.

I read that bearings that would normally be press fit are actually stronger
when epoxied in -- tremendous shear strength, with any kind of area.
1,000's of lbs per sq in, iirc.
Which, if the bearing is doing its job, shouldn't even be necessary.
You need, tho, about .010 to .020 clearance, on the radius.
But proly not heat-resistant, at all.

--

Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):
Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

Experiment on Homo Sapiens -- CEOs, Lawyers, and Politicians, in
particular.
Spare the animals.

Click here every day to feed an animal that needs you today.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message
m...

[...]

On Check Sorters years ago, we always loctite the bearings on the outside.
Save the major casting from being trash when a bearing floze. The center
was loctited also, but would normally breal loose. But the center rode on
replaceable studs.

superglue dissolver Caecilius UK diy 3 June 3rd 08 05:07 PM
superglue dissolver Clive George UK diy 4 June 2nd 08 05:15 PM
superglue dissolver geoff UK diy 0 May 30th 08 10:49 PM
superglue dissolver The Natural Philosopher UK diy 0 May 30th 08 10:18 PM
Superglue query N Cook Electronics Repair 8 December 11th 04 04:37 AM