Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LaserJet 1012 Vertical Fade

Printer works well but has a "slight" faded vertical band about 3 inches
from the left margin, about 1/4 inches wide. New cartridge.
Doing a "half self test" I can see slight fadeing on the drum at that
location.
I surmise this means some issue with the laser mirror or lenses.
Normal cleaning cycle has not helped.
I have the service manual and am tempted to disassemble and gently clean the
lenses [soft cloth/brush] but as this somewhat involved [and I could make
the problem that I can "live with" worse] I thought I should ask if (1) does
my diagnosis sound right and (2) is there is any easier way to accomplish
this cleaning short of complete disassembly.
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 24 May 2009 16:47:08 -1000, "John Keiser"
wrote:

Printer works well but has a "slight" faded vertical band about 3 inches
from the left margin, about 1/4 inches wide. New cartridge.
Doing a "half self test" I can see slight fadeing on the drum at that
location.
I surmise this means some issue with the laser mirror or lenses.
Normal cleaning cycle has not helped.

There are 3 possible causes of a shadow.
1. Toner cartridge, which you've eliminated.
2. Crud in the fuser assembly. This the most common.
3. Dust or dirt inside the laser scanner assembly. This can usually
be cleaned out with compressed air. Note that an obstruction to the
laser beam will create a vertical black band, not a faded band.

I have the service manual and am tempted to disassemble and gently clean the
lenses [soft cloth/brush] but as this somewhat involved [and I could make
the problem that I can "live with" worse]

It's not the laser scanner.

I thought I should ask if (1) does
my diagnosis sound right and (2) is there is any easier way to accomplish
this cleaning short of complete disassembly.

Before you tear into the laser scanner assembly, check if there's a
corresponding 1/4" wide band on the fuser assembly. I'm fairly sure
that's where you'll find the problem, in the area of your "slight
fading". If you disassemble the fuser assembly, you'll probably find
a thermal sensor touching the drum in the exact area of the problem. I
don't recall exactly what it looks like in the 1012, but it usually
has a yellow mylar tape cover. This tends to collect toner, which
melts in place on the thermal sensor. That will eventually wear off
the coating from the drum, resulting in a faded area on the page,
exactly what you're getting. The clue is the 1/4" wide band. That's
the exact diameter of the sensor. Scrape off the melted toner from
the surface of the sensor, and it should work.

Light reading:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com
http://www.printerworks.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I concur with Jeff, but would also suggest removing the toner cartridge and
shaking it smartly to make sure the toner is evenly spread inside the
cartridge and not missing from one side due to the packaging during
shipping..

Bob

wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I did try the shaking to no avail.
Before following the fuser trail, I removed the cartridge, depressed the
laser shutter lever, and inspected the laser lens area with a dental mirror.
I could not see anything on the glass, but used a blast of air.
Faded vertical stripe almost invisible now. [I probably would not detect it
had it not been noticable before.]
So I will stop while I am ahead.
Thank you for your assistance.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news:L_6dnRVFJ6oUuYfXnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d@powerusenet. com...

wrote:

[...]

Their is also a transfer or corona wire that gets crud on it, but its
usually the fuser.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Keiser wrote:
Printer works well but has a "slight" faded vertical band about 3 inches
from the left margin, about 1/4 inches wide. New cartridge.
Doing a "half self test" I can see slight fadeing on the drum at that
location.
I surmise this means some issue with the laser mirror or lenses.
Normal cleaning cycle has not helped.
I have the service manual and am tempted to disassemble and gently clean the
lenses [soft cloth/brush] but as this somewhat involved [and I could make
the problem that I can "live with" worse] I thought I should ask if (1) does
my diagnosis sound right and (2) is there is any easier way to accomplish
this cleaning short of complete disassembly.
Thanks for any advice.

I can't comment on that particular unit, but I've always cleaned laser
optics by simply removing the cartridge & dusting out the slot in the
laser module with a large, soft brush. On some models, there's a hinged
flap that needs to be moved to expose the mirror/lens.

Assuming that your cartridge is perfect, another cause of vertical,
faded stripes is a dirty corona wire or roller.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Printer works well but has a "slight" faded vertical band about 3 inches
from the left margin, about 1/4 inches wide. New cartridge.
Doing a "half self test" I can see slight fadeing on the drum at that
location.
I surmise this means some issue with the laser mirror or lenses.
Normal cleaning cycle has not helped.

There are 3 possible causes of a shadow.
1. Toner cartridge, which you've eliminated.
2. Crud in the fuser assembly. This the most common.
3. Dust or dirt inside the laser scanner assembly. This can usually
be cleaned out with compressed air. Note that an obstruction to the
laser beam will create a vertical black band, not a faded band.

Woops! Good point, Jeff, I was forgetting that lasers "write white", not
black. Dirt on the lens/mirror gives you shadows, not fades.

I have the service manual and am tempted to disassemble and gently clean the
lenses [soft cloth/brush] but as this somewhat involved [and I could make
the problem that I can "live with" worse]

It's not the laser scanner.

No, you're right.

I thought I should ask if (1) does
my diagnosis sound right and (2) is there is any easier way to accomplish
this cleaning short of complete disassembly.

Before you tear into the laser scanner assembly, check if there's a
corresponding 1/4" wide band on the fuser assembly. I'm fairly sure
that's where you'll find the problem, in the area of your "slight
fading".

Another typical symptom of a stripped fuser roller is that the toner
also doesn't adhere properly to the paper in that area. Scratching the
print in that area with your fingernail will often lift toner.

If you disassemble the fuser assembly, you'll probably find
a thermal sensor touching the drum in the exact area of the problem. I
don't recall exactly what it looks like in the 1012, but it usually
has a yellow mylar tape cover. This tends to collect toner, which
melts in place on the thermal sensor. That will eventually wear off
the coating from the drum, resulting in a faded area on the page,
exactly what you're getting. The clue is the 1/4" wide band. That's
the exact diameter of the sensor. Scrape off the melted toner from
the surface of the sensor, and it should work.

If the teflon coating has been scraped off the roller in that area, the
roller will need to be replaced. Replacing the roller itself is a tricky
job on most lasers. It might be possible to replace the whole fuser
assembly with a refurbished unit.