Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Typical rpm of a cordless drill motor?

Anybody know what the raw speed of a typical modern cordless drill
motor is? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message

Anybody know what the raw speed of a typical modern cordless drill
motor is? Thanks.

how long is a piece of string? ie: they're all over the map and it depends
upon which one you're talking about.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"charlie" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message

Anybody know what the raw speed of a typical modern cordless
drill motor is? Thanks.

how long is a piece of string? ie: they're all over the map and it
depends upon which one you're talking about.

It also depends upon which one you are talking about.

I'm talking about a typical modern cordless drill in the 14.4 v to
18/36 v range made by Panasonic, DeWalt, or Bosch. They all have
similar innards, they all use planetary gears, and they all are
roughly the same rpm at the chuck.

According to my calculation, my DeWalt 36 V monster drill motor spins
between 9,000 and 10,000 rpm. Apparently that speed is not unusual. I
was hoping I might have made a mistake and that the typical rpm would
be less, but I guess they're going for high torque which probably
means faster rpms.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Variable speed, in most cases

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"John Doe" wrote in message

Anybody know what the raw speed of a typical modern cordless drill
motor is? Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Actually... running a cordless drill in variable speed for very long
is potentially destructive to the controller.

From: "Wild_Bill"
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Typical rpm of a cordless drill motor?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:26:28 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Actually... running a cordless drill in variable speed for very long
is potentially destructive to the controller.

Not true in general. Might be true if the controller is poorly
designed with insufficient heatsink.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The ones I've seen are all about that speed.

Make for good robot drive units! Use PWM control.

I'm waiting for those A123 cells to come down in price. Last time
I looked they were bout $16.00 EACH!

Do you know if the 36V packs are actually running the motors at
that voltage?

DOC

Something about robots...

John Doe wrote:

According to my calculation, my DeWalt 36 V monster drill motor spins
between 9,000 and 10,000 rpm. Apparently that speed is not unusual. I
was hoping I might have made a mistake and that the typical rpm would
be less, but I guess they're going for high torque which probably
means faster rpms.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Actually... running a cordless drill in variable speed for very
long is potentially destructive to the controller.

Not true in general.

Read DeWalt's cordless drill manuals... "NOTE: Continuous use in
variable speed range is not recommended. It may damage the switch
and should be avoided." That's not surprising to me considering how
little airflow there is inside of a drill handle.

--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/