Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Protecting a "puck with cable" on the roof from elements

I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS, for the purposes of keeping
extremely accurate clock (sub-millisecond). Garmin 18 LVC is a little
puck with cable coming out of it, that can be used for very precise
timekeeping.

For best results, it should be outside, like on the roof or some other
place highly transparent to GPS satellites.

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:44:59 -0500, Ignoramus24166
wrote:

I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS, for the purposes of keeping
extremely accurate clock (sub-millisecond). Garmin 18 LVC is a little
puck with cable coming out of it, that can be used for very precise
timekeeping.

For best results, it should be outside, like on the roof or some other
place highly transparent to GPS satellites.

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Its package is a waterproof enclosure suitable for outdoor use in most
applications. You would need to keep snow and ice from accumulating
on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 10, 2:44 pm, Ignoramus24166 ignoramus24...@NOSPAM.
24166.invalid wrote:
I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS, for the purposes of keeping
extremely accurate clock (sub-millisecond). Garmin 18 LVC is a little
puck with cable coming out of it, that can be used for very precise
timekeeping.

For best results, it should be outside, like on the roof or some other
place highly transparent to GPS satellites.

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

If you don't have a metal roof, just inside your attic may be fine.

But I do believe this unit is outdoor rated?

Personally I'd maybe stick it in a plastic enclosure of some sort for
belt-and-suspenders, and mount it somewhere it would be a little
cooler than right on the roof.

Peanut butter jar or butter tub as an 'umbrella' to help block driving
rain seems reasonable, probably better to let it breathe a bit rather
than lock in any moisture that might eventually get into your
container.

Blocking UV may be helpful to keep the case from degrading.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus24166" wrote in message
I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS,

Why so many off-topic posts Ig? I am sure that there are loads of GPS groups
out there.

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vaughn Simon wrote:

"Ignoramus24166" wrote in message
I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS,

Why so many off-topic posts Ig? I am sure that there are loads of GPS groups
out there.

It's because he's and idiot and wants to feel important by talking about
glass jars and caulk mounted to a roof.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24166 wrote:

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Mason jar sounds good. Is the USB? I have a Delorme LT40 GPS device I use with my
laptop. I haven't figured out how to listen to it connected to a USB port.

You must be sniping at the razors edge

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-10, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:

"Ignoramus24166" wrote in message
I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS,

Why so many off-topic posts Ig? I am sure that there are loads of GPS groups
out there.

It's because he's and idiot and wants to feel important by talking about
glass jars and caulk mounted to a roof.

And you still hope to make me upset, right?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-10, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus24166 wrote:

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Mason jar sounds good. Is the USB? I have a Delorme LT40 GPS device I use with my
laptop. I haven't figured out how to listen to it connected to a USB port.

No. The USB version does not have those precise timekeeping
functions. It is a version with bare wires. They need to be connected
to 12v power supply and serial port (or parallel)

You must be sniping at the razors edge

No, this is actually more work related, I want to play with it before
I make any noises at work.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24166 wrote:
I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS, for the purposes of keeping
extremely accurate clock (sub-millisecond). Garmin 18 LVC is a little
puck with cable coming out of it, that can be used for very precise
timekeeping.

For best results, it should be outside, like on the roof or some other
place highly transparent to GPS satellites.

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Aerosol bedliner.
$9 per rattle-can
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS, for the purposes of keeping
extremely accurate clock (sub-millisecond). Garmin 18 LVC is a little
puck with cable coming out of it, that can be used for very precise
timekeeping.

For best results, it should be outside, like on the roof or some other
place highly transparent to GPS satellites.

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Its package is a waterproof enclosure suitable for outdoor use in most
applications. You would need to keep snow and ice from accumulating
on it.

Oddly enough, this is not needed, unless it's sal****er ice, which
probably isn't a big problem in Chicagoland.

I had to figure this out for work some years ago. The question was if
we had to provide an antenna heater to keep a GPS antenna on a radar in
the far North clear of ice and snow. It turned out that even 6" of
solid ice and/or much snow had little effect at GPS frequencies, so we
skipped the heater and just put the antenna on a tripod made of pipe.
The tripod was required to handle storm winds. A vertical pipe would
probably bend unless *very* stout.

And we put a circle of lightning rods around the tripod. And a
lightning arrestor in the downlead.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2008-09-10, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus24166 wrote:

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?

Mason jar sounds good. Is the USB? I have a Delorme LT40 GPS device I use
with my
laptop. I haven't figured out how to listen to it connected to a USB port.

No. The USB version does not have those precise timekeeping
functions. It is a version with bare wires. They need to be connected
to 12v power supply and serial port (or parallel)

You must be sniping at the razors edge

No, this is actually more work related, I want to play with it before
I make any noises at work.

You may wish to join the Time Nuts reflector. Lots of people restoring
and hacking time-related equipment. Many participants are hams.

You may have to accept their certificate, depending on which browser you
use. There is no danger, despite the dire blather from the browser.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:21:33 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Huh! Interesting! It takes very little ice or snow to screw up
satellite TV reception, but that's much higher frequency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-12, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-09-10, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus24166 wrote:

[...]

Joe, I just subscribed. Thanks a lot.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24166 wrote:

I want to play with a "Garmin 18 LVC" GPS, for the purposes of keeping
extremely accurate clock (sub-millisecond). Garmin 18 LVC is a little
puck with cable coming out of it, that can be used for very precise
timekeeping.

For best results, it should be outside, like on the roof or some other
place highly transparent to GPS satellites.

Thusly, it needs to be protected from elements. So, my question is,
what is the cheapest way to do so. I was thinking to just put it in a
glass jar, and caulk all openings. Another possibility is to just
enclose it in a big blob of epoxy. Has anyone tried anything similar?
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

If it's for time, it doesn't matter if you have a "good" satellite
constellation in view, just that you see at least a few. Put it inside
that sunroom thing at the back of your house and it should have an
acceptable view as well as be safe from the weather.