Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ooooops

Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

Answer: my boat lift when the cable breaks with the boat halfway out
of the water and me in it.

Sigh!

Water temps aren't yet shrivelnoogie but the air is getting a bit
nippy with highs in the high 50's.

There'll be warmer days yet this September. I'll worry about it
then.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

That's scary. How's your back Don?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

Answer: my boat lift when the cable breaks with the boat halfway out
of the water and me in it.

WHAT COLOR DID YOU PAINT IT??? IT'S BLUE ISN'T IT??? ...told you so!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 05:00:52 GMT, Winston
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

That's scary. How's your back Don?

--Winston

Not much of a drop, no problem. Just minor inconvenience until I get
it fixed because I have to keep the boat on its trailer. Leaving a
boat tied to the dock overnight on this lake is asking for trouble.
Wind happens, often suddenly and unexpectedly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 02:37:57 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .

Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

Answer: my boat lift when the cable breaks with the boat halfway out
of the water and me in it.

WHAT COLOR DID YOU PAINT IT??? IT'S BLUE ISN'T IT??? ...told you so!

I *knew* you'd bring that up!

The part that broke was not part of what I made -- it was part of the
original lift which is of unknown age since I got it used.

The lake is often blue, do you suppose that could have caused it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

Answer: my boat lift when the cable breaks with the boat halfway out
of the water and me in it.

Sigh!

Water temps aren't yet shrivelnoogie but the air is getting a bit
nippy with highs in the high 50's.

There'll be warmer days yet this September. I'll worry about it
then.

Saw a fellow untie his boat completely, then sit in the captain's chair as
his wife backed him down a steep ramp towards the water. Before they got to
the water, she hit the brakes. The rollers must have just been lubed,
because they sure worked good. In a second, he was sitting right there on
the asphalt, and didn't even come out of his chair.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

Answer: my boat lift when the cable breaks with the boat halfway out
of the water and me in it.

I think there is a photo of this event:

http://www.collegehumor.com/pictu1765464

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
snip-----

The lake is often blue, do you suppose that could have caused it?

Heh! I'm surprised Tawm didn't take advantage of your misfortune to sell
you some brushes.

Could it be he's losing his touch?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 15:45:11 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
.. .

Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

Answer: my boat lift when the cable breaks with the boat halfway out
of the water and me in it.

I think there is a photo of this event:

http://www.collegehumor.com/pictu1765464

Mine went down straight and level, just a lot faster than usual.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:36:00 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 15:45:11 -0700, "anorton" wrote:
"Don Foreman" wrote...

Question: what goes "rahrahrarhyangyangyang BANG ... SPLASH"?
(Nevermind the expletive following the splash.)

Answer: my boat lift when the cable breaks with the boat halfway out
of the water and me in it.

I think there is a photo of this event:

http://www.collegehumor.com/pictu1765464

Mine went down straight and level, just a lot faster than usual.

But it still begs the question - What the F*** were you doing IN the
boat while it was on the lift? Are you INSANE? ;-0

You hang out here, and I'm sure you have been introduced to Murphy's
Laws and understand the principle of "Nothing ever goes as planned."

News Flash: I think {$Deity} is trying to get your attention.

If it didn't go down level but fast, but instead the lift decided to
drop the ass end and eject you (and all the heavy cargo) in the drink
(bouncing you off the motor) and then drop the boat on top of you...

Fix the lift - but RUN IT FROM THE DOCK away from the "Splat Zone".

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:29:38 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

Mine went down straight and level, just a lot faster than usual.

But it still begs the question - What the F*** were you doing IN the
boat while it was on the lift? Are you INSANE? ;-0

It has been so alleged, but what has that to do with anything?

You hang out here, and I'm sure you have been introduced to Murphy's
Laws and understand the principle of "Nothing ever goes as planned."

News Flash: I think {$Deity} is trying to get your attention.

If it didn't go down level but fast, but instead the lift decided to
drop the ass end and eject you (and all the heavy cargo) in the drink
(bouncing you off the motor) and then drop the boat on top of you...

Maybe you'd have to see one of these lifts. Check out:
http://www.shoremaster.com/lifts/sta...cant/main.html

If/when the cable breaks, the cantilever parallelogram mechanism keeps
the boat level on the way down. It only has about 2 feet to fall.
Those Ranger boats are built tough, like jet skis. They can handle
hitting a big wake and being airborne for a ways at 45 to 50 mph. No
problem!

Fix the lift - but RUN IT FROM THE DOCK away from the "Splat Zone".

Picked up 30 feet of 1/4" SS wire rope today. 6400 lb rating. I
doubt that the boat, motor and cargo is 2000 lb and the cable is
arranged with a 2:1 mechanical advantage. The old cable is
galvanized, could easily be 15 years old.

I see that SS "cable" is standard now on Shoremaster lifts. Mine
isn't a Shoremaster, but I don't think it was standard on anybody's
lift 10 years or more ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Mine went down straight and level, just a lot faster than usual.

But it still begs the question - What the F*** were you doing IN the
boat while it was on the lift? Are you INSANE? ;-0

It has been so alleged, but what has that to do with anything?

You hang out here, and I'm sure you have been introduced to Murphy's
Laws and understand the principle of "Nothing ever goes as planned."

News Flash: I think {$Deity} is trying to get your attention.

If it didn't go down level but fast, but instead the lift decided to
drop the ass end and eject you (and all the heavy cargo) in the drink
(bouncing you off the motor) and then drop the boat on top of you...

Maybe you'd have to see one of these lifts. Check out:
http://www.shoremaster.com/lifts/sta...cant/main.html

Okay, that's a lot smaller than I was thinking, so I'll tone down
the yelling - but common sense says you still don't want to be in the
boat while raised or in motion. It's to get the hull out of water for
storage, not as a thrill ride.

There is a reason they put that big handwheel where it needs to be
operated from on the dock. Stuff breaks, that's life, plan for it.

If/when the cable breaks, the cantilever parallelogram mechanism keeps
the boat level on the way down. It only has about 2 feet to fall.
Those Ranger boats are built tough, like jet skis. They can handle
hitting a big wake and being airborne for a ways at 45 to 50 mph. No
problem!

Yes, but if you are standing in the boat (or even sitting in a bad
position) the sudden movement can still cause you to bang around and
break things like legs and hips and arms and shoulders...

The boat might well survive unscathed... And when you hit your
Golden Years healing takes months not weeks.

Picked up 30 feet of 1/4" SS wire rope today. 6400 lb rating. I
doubt that the boat, motor and cargo is 2000 lb and the cable is
arranged with a 2:1 mechanical advantage. The old cable is
galvanized, could easily be 15 years old.

I see that SS "cable" is standard now on Shoremaster lifts. Mine
isn't a Shoremaster, but I don't think it was standard on anybody's
lift 10 years or more ago.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Fix the lift - but RUN IT FROM THE DOCK away from the "Splat Zone".

Picked up 30 feet of 1/4" SS wire rope today. 6400 lb rating. I
doubt that the boat, motor and cargo is 2000 lb and the cable is
arranged with a 2:1 mechanical advantage. The old cable is
galvanized, could easily be 15 years old.

I see that SS "cable" is standard now on Shoremaster lifts. Mine
isn't a Shoremaster, but I don't think it was standard on anybody's
lift 10 years or more ago.

None of the marinas around my home lake allow cable lifts.
They have to be float types.

Liability...

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:15:52 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

There is a reason they put that big handwheel where it needs to be
operated from on the dock. Stuff breaks, that's life, plan for it.

Stuff does break, you're sure right about that.

If/when the cable breaks, the cantilever parallelogram mechanism keeps
the boat level on the way down. It only has about 2 feet to fall.
Those Ranger boats are built tough, like jet skis. They can handle
hitting a big wake and being airborne for a ways at 45 to 50 mph. No
problem!

Yes, but if you are standing in the boat (or even sitting in a bad
position) the sudden movement can still cause you to bang around and
break things like legs and hips and arms and shoulders...

That's also true when fishin' in a "walleye chop". That'd be 2-foot
seas on Cass Lake or Big Winnie, running at 49.5 mph according to the
GPS. Hang on ol' Son, the boat can take it if you can stay in it. I
may be old but I'm not yet quite as fragile as a clay target or a fine
French pastry.

The boat might well survive unscathed... And when you hit your
Golden Years healing takes months not weeks.

Ya think? Yer dead right! Laying belly-down on the dock working with
the broken cable did sorta raise hell with the zipper in my chest.

I do not intend to spend my "golden years" in a cocoon. My golden
years are RFN. I was approximately dead on 9 May. We discussed
terminal options with me prostate and gasping on the gurney. I said
I'd like them to save my arse if it was worth saving but pull my plug
if my prognosis would be no fun at all. Mar was there and rogered.

Roger that, they got 'er done. Good guys. Professionals. They might
not have bothered with me if I'd indicated I wasn't up for bothering
with me. I sure couldn't blame them for that.

I later learned that I was a bit of a problem because I got very
violent during surgery. My excuse is that who wouldn't get violent
when somebody was grabbing yer heart, right? They said it took six
big orderlies to restrain me and they kept me "under" for four days
thereafter. Mar was a bit chagrined on night one when I was screaming
epithets but she says I utttered a codeword the next morning that she
recognized and knew we were OK. We're a small team from way back. I
don't recall any of that because they administer drugs to supress
memory which is a very good idea.

My cardiologist said, "you're very strong, you'll do just fine". I
thought "yeah, right" but it has turned out to be so. I sure as hell
didn't feel strong, still don't but gettin' better. I've had a bit
of a trip back, mostly done now. I'm grinnin' most days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

My cardiologist said, "you're very strong, you'll do just fine". I
thought "yeah, right" but it has turned out to be so. I sure as hell
didn't feel strong, still don't but gettin' better. I've had a bit
of a trip back, mostly done now. I'm grinnin' most days.

Good for you.

If you had a guitar, you could be 'pickin' and grinnin'!' ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:44:31 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

Fix the lift - but RUN IT FROM THE DOCK away from the "Splat Zone".

Picked up 30 feet of 1/4" SS wire rope today. 6400 lb rating. I
doubt that the boat, motor and cargo is 2000 lb and the cable is
arranged with a 2:1 mechanical advantage. The old cable is
galvanized, could easily be 15 years old.

I see that SS "cable" is standard now on Shoremaster lifts. Mine
isn't a Shoremaster, but I don't think it was standard on anybody's
lift 10 years or more ago.

None of the marinas around my home lake allow cable lifts.
They have to be float types.

Liability...

My boat is on a cable lift with a cradle. It's the smallest boat in
the place, a 22' Pathfinder. It probably doesn't weigh 2000 lb (1300
lb hull with 150 Yamaha 2-stroke). The lift is rated for 12000 lb. If
the tide's out, it's just about too far to the dock. The norm is to
lower the cradle in with the remote, pull 'er into the cradle, then
hit the remote until you can step out. The marina runs more to 26'
cats with 2 225's or monos with 3. I don't know how those guys pay
for the gas.

Pete Keillor