Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A useful little project

I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. I know they
have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's
.... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. So I did.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/plastic_hammer/

I think there's something personal about a good hammer that seems to
fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. I know they
have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's
... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. So I did.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/plastic_hammer/

I think there's something personal about a good hammer that seems to
fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.

Nice hammer Don. Yes the Ruger .22 is both accurate and a bitch to take apart for full
cleaning.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I think there's something personal about a good hammer that seems to
fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.

BTW, did you anodize it yourself?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:15:46 -0400, Wes wrote:

BTW, did you anodize it yourself?

Yes. 90 minutes in NAPA battery acid diluted 1:4 with distilled
water. Current was about 30 mA/in^2. Then I used Caswell's green
dye.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0400, Wes wrote:

Nice hammer Don. Yes the Ruger .22 is both accurate and a bitch to take apart for full
cleaning.

Wes

It gets a lot easier with practice. Disassembly is now no problem at
all, reassembly takes well under 5 minutes. It seems to be a matter
of getting *all* of the details right at every step.

Oh, and a good little plastic hammer helps a lot! G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. I know they
have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's
... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. So I did.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/plastic_hammer/

I think there's something personal about a good hammer that seems to
fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.

Quality looking hammer Don!

I made one too, no where near as nice as yours - it gets quite a bit of use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman writes:

I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. I know they
have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's
... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. So I did.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/plastic_hammer/

That's an improvement over this one:

http://www.flintknapper.com/images/Beckaxe3.jpg

:-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BTW, did you anodize it yourself?

Yes. 90 minutes in NAPA battery acid diluted 1:4 with distilled
water. Current was about 30 mA/in^2. Then I used Caswell's green
dye.

Don, I missed your presence here. Good to see you back. How's the fishin'
been?

Could you give a short "how to" on anodizing? What do i need to black
anodize a couple of parts?

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-13, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 02:15:46 -0400, Wes wrote:

BTW, did you anodize it yourself?

Yes. 90 minutes in NAPA battery acid diluted 1:4 with distilled
water. Current was about 30 mA/in^2. Then I used Caswell's green
dye.

The result is very nice looking.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. I know they
have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's
... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. So I did.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/plastic_hammer/

I think there's something personal about a good hammer that seems to
fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.

Nice job!

For assembly/disassembly of a Ruger MKIII, eh? I have the bull-barrel
version of that and, yep, it shoots a lot more accurately than I do.

Damn thing puts the bullet exactly where I'm aiming at the moment it
fires. Problem is: I'm not always aiming where I think I am. Close,
within an inch or so, but the damn gun won't correct for my error.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 06:58:08 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
snip
Could you give a short "how to" on anodizing? What do i need to black
anodize a couple of parts?

snip
==========
Click on
http://mcduffee-associates.us/PE/anodize0001.pdf

feel free to browse the entire site

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Click on
http://mcduffee-associates.us/PE/anodize0001.pdf

feel free to browse the entire site

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

COFFEYVILLE!

My dad was born there. I was born/raised in Baldwin just south of Lawrence.
Small world.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Don, I missed your presence here. Good to see you back. How's the fishin'
been?

Could you give a short "how to" on anodizing? What do i need to black
anodize a couple of parts?

karl

Fishin' was excellent at 'Waska while I was there. I have to return
to town often to keep up with the rehab, but I play hookey once in a
while.

Anodizing: what you'd need depends a bit on how big the parts are.

You need: some battery acid from NAPA
some distilled water
a cathode compatible with sulfuric acid. I use sheet lead
a variable DC power supply
an ammeter
some dye. I use dyes from www.caswellplating.com
because they work. It's particularly important to have
good dye if you are trying to get black
a large enough container to contain the parts immersed in
liquid. Plastic buckets work fine for small jobs. I did
the hammer handle in a 2-liter Pyrex beaker.

Dilute acid: 3 parts water to 1 part acid. Immerse workpiece and
cathode in the diluted acid. Connect + to work, - to cathode. Use
aluminum wire to "hang" the workpiece. Titanium works too.
Adjust power supply to about 30 mA per square inch of workpiece.

I use a shop-made DC current regulator to do this, easy to make if
you're not trying to do big jobs with lots of surface area. You can
also use an ordinary battery charger with a variac on the line side.

Anodize for 90 minutes or so.

Rinse in a very weak baking soda solution to completely neutralize any
acid on the part, then spray rinse (squirt bottle) with distilled
water.

Immerse in dye for 15 to 30 minutes

Seal in boiling distilled water for 30 minutes or so. I use a sealant
from Caswell but I think just boiling it will do about as well.

Lots more good poop he
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Note that this guy now sells supplies and materials. He might be
reselling Caswell stuff.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Motion carried.

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Second that, Don! RCM is not the same without you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 01:42:04 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 01:55:07 -0400, Wes wrote:

Nice hammer Don. Yes the Ruger .22 is both accurate and a bitch to take apart for full
cleaning.

Wes

It gets a lot easier with practice. Disassembly is now no problem at
all, reassembly takes well under 5 minutes. It seems to be a matter
of getting *all* of the details right at every step.

Oh, and a good little plastic hammer helps a lot! G

If you bought yours new (MKII) they loosen up a bit after
being torn down a few times. At least mine did. A bit of
practice doesn't hurt any either Really sweet gun.

I put a Leupold 4x pistol scope on my bull barrel version.
Used to use it for squirrel hunting. It was fun to see the
expression on other hunters faces when I had 3-4 squirrels
in tow with head shots and they didn't have any using
shotguns. Ah! those were the days...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
aws aws is offline

On Jul 12, 9:13*pm, Don Foreman wrote:
I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. *I know they
have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's
... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. *So I did.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/plastic_hammer/

I think there's *something personal about a good hammer that seems to
fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.

Places that sell jewelers tools like conenti have plastic hamers and
nylon mallets of various sizes , some with changeale faces for people
who arnt as skilled as you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you bought yours new (MKII) they loosen up a bit after
being torn down a few times. At least mine did. A bit of
practice doesn't hurt any either Really sweet gun.

I put a Leupold 4x pistol scope on my bull barrel version.
Used to use it for squirrel hunting. It was fun to see the
expression on other hunters faces when I had 3-4 squirrels
in tow with head shots and they didn't have any using
shotguns. Ah! those were the days...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Hey Leon - dumb question from the other side of the world.......just
interested - what do you do with the squirrels meat/pet food/pelts???? The
tiny squirells we have here (Australia) are introduced and very few and very
far between. Cheers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message

If you bought yours new (MKII) they loosen up a bit after
being torn down a few times. At least mine did. A bit of
practice doesn't hurt any either Really sweet gun.

I put a Leupold 4x pistol scope on my bull barrel version.
Used to use it for squirrel hunting. It was fun to see the
expression on other hunters faces when I had 3-4 squirrels
in tow with head shots and they didn't have any using
shotguns. Ah! those were the days...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Hey Leon - dumb question from the other side of the world.......just
interested - what do you do with the squirrels meat/pet food/pelts???? The
tiny squirells we have here (Australia) are introduced and very few and
very far between. Cheers.

I'll let Leon speak for himself, but this squirrel hunter likes the young
ones fried, and the older ones either braised or in stew (the original
American recipe for Brunswick stew is made with squirrel). After dressing
and skinning them, you cut them into quarters. No, they don't taste like
chicken. g The older, braised ones taste a lot like turkey dark meat. The
younger ones taste more like rabbit.

As for the rest of them, I used to save the tails for use in fly tying. The
squirrel-tail streamer is a common wet fly that we use in eastern trout
streams. I collected so many tails that I have a lifetime supply, and I
don't keep them anymore.

BTW, like Leon, I lived in Michigan and hunted squirrels with a handgun (a
Ruger Single-Six revolver) when I lived there, 35 years ago. We can't use
handguns where I live now and it's a lot less interesting.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 07:49:29 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I'll let Leon speak for himself, but this squirrel hunter likes the young
ones fried, and the older ones either braised or in stew

You might think twice before eating the brains. ;-) There's been
speculation that there may be a risk of CJD (mad cow disease)
associated with the consumption of fried squirrel brains.

One of the doctors who suggested the link is the target of a backwoods
fatwah in Kentucky because his hypothesis was perceived as an attack
on hillbilly culture.

http://www.mad-cow.org/~tom/victim23.html
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200...IBRY_000021264

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'll let Leon speak for himself, but this squirrel hunter likes the young
ones fried, and the older ones either braised or in stew

You might think twice before eating the brains. ;-) There's been
speculation that there may be a risk of CJD (mad cow disease)
associated with the consumption of fried squirrel brains.

I never would have even thought of it once. d8-)

'Possum with applesauce, OK (if I can keep the windows open while I cook
it). Sucker fishcakes made in the blender, all right (cut off the heads
first for me, please). But no squirrel brains.

One of the doctors who suggested the link is the target of a backwoods
fatwah in Kentucky because his hypothesis was perceived as an attack
on hillbilly culture.

http://www.mad-cow.org/~tom/victim23.html
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200...IBRY_000021264

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
... hunted squirrels with a handgun (a
Ruger Single-Six revolver) ...

Oh, I'm impressed! I owned that gun once and was never good enough with
it to hunt squirrels. Or did you miss a lot, but had enough shots that
eventually you got a few? BG

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
Ed Huntress wrote:
... hunted squirrels with a handgun (a
Ruger Single-Six revolver) ...

Oh, I'm impressed! I owned that gun once and was never good enough with
it to hunt squirrels. Or did you miss a lot, but had enough shots that
eventually you got a few? BG

Bob

The trick is to spend a month or so getting them to eat peanuts out of your
hand. Then it's easy. d8-)

Seriously, it's a challenge, but the gun was up to it, out to maybe 40
yards, with no trouble. Squirrels that have been shot at are tough to
approach within 40 yards. So hunt them where they haven't been shot at. I
prefer to just sit under a tree, stone stiff, and shoot them as they move
around. That was easier when I was in my 20s and didn't get stiff so easily.
There have to be a lot of squirrels around for that to be reasonable. And
use a brace, like a tree trunk.

That was on those big fox squirrels in Michigan. I have to admit that I had
less success in Pennsylvania, shooting at their smaller gray squirrels. But
I killed more than half of the ones I shot at, even there.

In PA, I used my Hi-Standard Supermatic. Here in NJ we have to use a shotgun
or, in January, a muzzleloading rifle. I only hunt squirrels in NJ when I'm
really itchy to get out in the woods. I *hate* shooting squirrels with a
shotgun. And I hate sitting in the woods in January.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:02:47 +0800, "Den"
wrote:

Hey Leon - dumb question from the other side of the world.......just
interested - what do you do with the squirrels meat/pet food/pelts???? The
tiny squirells we have here (Australia) are introduced and very few and very
far between. Cheers.

Used to eat them. My Dad liked them a whole lot more than I
did. Nothing wrong with the meat, I'm just not big on eating
meat. I would classify the meat as dark meat, similar to a
chicken/turkey leg or ham. I wouldn't dispute Ed's comments
concerning the meat.

Most of what I got were Fox and sometimes a few Grays
depending on where I was hunting. The Fox squirrel is
slightly larger.

Fox squirrel:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...rus_niger.html

Gray/Black squirrel:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...olinensis.html

Hunting with a pistol takes a lot of patience and passing up
marginal shots/opportunities. If I really wanted to bag some
I took one of my scoped rifles along

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Husvar" wrote in message
In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. I know they
have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's
... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. So I did.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/plastic_hammer/

I think there's something personal about a good hammer that seems to
fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.

Nice job!

For assembly/disassembly of a Ruger MKIII, eh? I have the bull-barrel
version of that and, yep, it shoots a lot more accurately than I do.

Damn thing puts the bullet exactly where I'm aiming at the moment it
fires. Problem is: I'm not always aiming where I think I am. Close,
within an inch or so, but the damn gun won't correct for my error.

The mkii was an incredible bargain, I used to poke fun at my teammates who
had $2000 S&Ws.
They had expensive guns, expensive ammo, yadi yada

I told them they used up all of their excuses for winging one outside the
black.

I could always blame my $300 gun or Wal-Mart $11/550 ammo. =)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message

I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. I know they
have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's
... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. So I did.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/plastic_hammer/

I think there's something personal about a good hammer that seems to
fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.

They are nice, but that's overkill. What a hammer. Coulda come off the
Space Shuttle from the looks of it. ;-)

I have a common glazer hammer with rubber and plastic ends. Handy handy,
handy when you need just a little tapping. Rawhide also good.

Nice job. Really nice.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They are big buggers! In Australia I've only seen squirrels living in the
Zoo - not caged, but running free within the grounds. I guess the cats/dogs
may clean them up if they stray too far into the surrounding suburb. Cheers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message

They are big buggers! In Australia I've only seen squirrels living in the
Zoo - not caged, but running free within the grounds. I guess the
cats/dogs may clean them up if they stray too far into the surrounding
suburb. Cheers.

Here in the states, we also have something we call chipmunks (AKA ground
squirrels).
They are small, (four or five inch body length) found running around zoo
grounds, and nobody eats them.

However, I did buy a couple of stretched and tanned chipmunk pelts once. The
were at a local junk shop and were just too wacky to pass up.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

... chipmunk pelts ...
too wacky to pass up.

Perfect!! I can just see one mounted as a trophy over the fireplace!
And beside it, the .577 Nitro Express gun that was used to bag it. VBG

Thanks for the image,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

... chipmunk pelts ...
too wacky to pass up.

Perfect!! I can just see one mounted as a trophy over the fireplace! And
beside it, the .577 Nitro Express gun that was used to bag it. VBG

Thanks for the image,
Bob

Oh, I have an even better one.

A buddy of mine from high school (he's worthy of a story in his own right)
inherited a house from his wife's uncle.

The uncle's hobby was taxidermy, but this was a suburban environment and the
old boy wasn't really an avid hunter. So, his solution was to stuff and
mount any dead thing that came into his hands.

He stuffed field mice and pigeons, muskrats and squirrels. His attic was
filled with the stuff.
I grabbed a stuffed porcupine. We put a rhinestone collar on it and used to
keep it by the front door.
At first glance everyone would think it was a small dog greeting them at the
door, then they would look a little closer.
The expressions on their faces were priceless.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:13:27 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Paul K. Dickman" quickly quoth:

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

[...]

How many people accidentally petted it (just ONCE!)?

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

[...]

Even better, would have been a skunk??
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Growing up in Iowa in the 50's, we used to get a 5 cent bounty for a ground
squirrel tail. We'd put them in a gunny sack til we had a couple hundred.
Once, we took a large sack of 'em, maybe 300, to the county clerk's office
for the bounty. When she took one sniff of the bag she said, "Geez, how
many are in there?" One of my quick thinking friends said, "500!" As she
wrote us a check for $25, she said "take them out and put them in the
trash!" and didn't count them. She kept us in .22 shells for the rest of
the summer.

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

"Den" wrote in message

They are big buggers! In Australia I've only seen squirrels living in the
Zoo - not caged, but running free within the grounds. I guess the
cats/dogs may clean them up if they stray too far into the surrounding
suburb. Cheers.

Here in the states, we also have something we call chipmunks (AKA ground
squirrels).
They are small, (four or five inch body length) found running around zoo
grounds, and nobody eats them.

However, I did buy a couple of stretched and tanned chipmunk pelts once.
The were at a local junk shop and were just too wacky to pass up.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Very pretty! I didn't realize how small it is 'till I spread my fingers
7". Something of reference in the picture would be good. A teaspoon, say.

Is the finish as the lathe tool left it, or has it been smoothed? Do
you remember what the feed rate was?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SnA Higgins wrote:
... she said "take them out and put them in the
trash!" ...

'Fesh up - you didn't put them in the trash, did you? You kept them to
bring in again, didn't you? BG

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Put the skunk behind the front door on the inside. Then when they are in,
close the front door and eeek!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:25:33 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Very pretty! I didn't realize how small it is 'till I spread my fingers
7". Something of reference in the picture would be good. A teaspoon, say.

Is the finish as the lathe tool left it, or has it been smoothed? Do
you remember what the feed rate was?

The finish is as turned. I don't know what the feed rate was, other
than "kinda slow".

help me with my project [email protected] UK diy 0 February 18th 08 01:04 PM
£100,000.00 Project... tazz8u Home Repair 0 May 7th 07 02:05 PM
What think ye? (project) Enoch Root Woodworking 3 December 21st 05 07:28 AM
New project Justice Electronics 2 November 6th 05 08:02 PM
some project Dave Hinz Woodworking 7 January 28th 05 02:58 AM