Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Need help with Home Network

OT

First of all I know this is not the group for this but somebody here
always seems to know eveything. So if someone hnows/has a place to go
to get more help please let me know.

I would like some guidance/help with my home computers and networking
them.

I have tried several times to network my two computers. For sure I
have made a mess of things.

I would like to remove all that I have foolishly done in attempting to
set it up.

Then I would like to have a go at it again. I would like to network
two computers. Then add a wireless network port for my laptop. I
already have a 4 channel router that connects to my BroadBand modem
and the router has a wireless port.

Thanks
Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

the normal topology is

--- [DSL or Cable Router] ---- Ethernet/Wifi router
|--- wired PC 1
|--- Wired PC2
~.... Wifi laptop 1
~.... Wifi laptop 2

you should need only one router such as WRT54G and one DSL router
supplied by your ISP.

On 2008-06-25, Bob AZ wrote:
OT

First of all I know this is not the group for this but somebody here
always seems to know eveything. So if someone hnows/has a place to go
to get more help please let me know.

I would like some guidance/help with my home computers and networking
them.

I have tried several times to network my two computers. For sure I
have made a mess of things.

I would like to remove all that I have foolishly done in attempting to
set it up.

Then I would like to have a go at it again. I would like to network
two computers. Then add a wireless network port for my laptop. I
already have a 4 channel router that connects to my BroadBand modem
and the router has a wireless port.

Thanks
Bob AZ

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The DSL or Cable component is typically called a Modem to avoid
confusion with the Router. There are now integrated wireless
modem-router units in one package. Of course if you change between
technologies such as DSL, cable or FIOS the whole package must be
swapped out if it's an all-in-one deal.

I don't know what a wireless port is. Anything with a port is a wired
connection. The wireless consists of an internal or external antenna
(1 or more) on the router and a wireless adapter (internal, external,
etc.) in the laptop.

When initially setting up the network, you want to leave encryption
OFF and SSID broadcast ON, just to make sure your connections work
without encryption. The SSID name should be changed to some random
value and the admin password should be set (they usually come blank).

Once everything works, set up the encryption type and passcode, which
is more than I can describe here.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:04:06 -0500, Ignoramus27719
wrote:

the normal topology is

--- [DSL or Cable Router] ---- Ethernet/Wifi router
|--- wired PC 1
|--- Wired PC2
~.... Wifi laptop 1
~.... Wifi laptop 2

you should need only one router such as WRT54G and one DSL router
supplied by your ISP.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob AZ wrote:

OT

First of all I know this is not the group for this but somebody here
always seems to know eveything. So if someone hnows/has a place to go
to get more help please let me know.

I would like some guidance/help with my home computers and networking
them.

I have tried several times to network my two computers. For sure I
have made a mess of things.

I would like to remove all that I have foolishly done in attempting to
set it up.

Then I would like to have a go at it again. I would like to network
two computers. Then add a wireless network port for my laptop. I
already have a 4 channel router that connects to my BroadBand modem
and the router has a wireless port.

Wish I lived closer. I'm thinking Michigan is a bit far from Arizona.

Did the router come with the modem? Was it installed by your provider?

I would think your wired connections would only need to be set to use dhcp. What
version(s) of windows do you have?

As far as wireless WPA PSK is a fairly good way to go. You will have to enter a
passphrase on each laptop. Having a open wifi connection is something that I wouldn't
want. I'd hate to have a wardriver uploading child porn using my static ip address. Key
lenghths (passphrases of 20+ characters is good).

I swapped out my Dlink router for an asus WL-500G Deluxe today that had wifi. Life was
good until either the transmitter on the router failed or my laptop (new) went deaf.
Untill that happened I was able to get connected out in the garage though a steel door
while resting the laptop on my brigeport 70 feet away.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob, first a few questions.

Do you really want a network as in moving files from one computer
to another, or are you just wanting to share an internet
connection?
What brand of router? What model?
Can we assume you have the desktop working with a wired connection
now?

You said you have:
2 computers, a laptop and a desktop
Broadband modem connection
Router

If your laptop does not have a wireless card, you will need to get
one. If it is very new, it probably has one. If the laptop came
with one, there will be some software listed in All Programs that
talks about wireless.

Learn what you must do to talk to your router from your desktop.
This process is a little different from one to another router
brands. Netgear needs you type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of
your browser and then you will need the username and password.

Kill the firewall(s) in both computers until you get this thing
going.
Do not try to set up WEP or other encryption until you get this
thing going.
Make sure you do replace all of the above once you are going.

This site has a good approach if you can't work with Window's
network setup:
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/hmnetwk1.html
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Then add a wireless network port for my laptop. I
already have a 4 channel router that connects to my BroadBand
modem
and the router has a wireless port.

All

More information that I should have thought of.

I presently have Sprint BroadBand for my internet connection. I use
AOL as my provider exclusively.

I have 2 desktops and a laptop, all on XP. The Sprint BroadBand modem
feeds a D Link Router with a connector/port that has an antenna
connected to it, in addition to the 4 conventional cable/wire
connections. I have both the desktops connected to the router and the
laptop sees the D Link router but needs the password to connect to it.
The laptop has a wireless connection built in. Or at least I am sure
it does because I am able to get online at other folks locations.

I am scheduled to lose Sprint BroadBand in a few days because Sprint
lost their FCC frequency allocation. I have already signed up for DSL
with Qwest and the new modem is still in the box waiting for the CD,
to set up things, to arrive in the mail. Perhaps I would go with a
Cable TV internet connection if I had cable but since I watch very
little TV I don't have cable.

I have a whole house DSL filter and am running a dedicated telco line
from the Telco Demarc straight to my PCs and the DSL modem and D Link
router. I will not be doing wireless other than my laptop which I use
infrequently. Maybe twice a month. I have Cat 5 and coax to my shop
from the Telco Demarc area so internet/computer in the shop is no
problem.

I have tried to setup everything on a network before but have lost
track of how I tried to set things up. This is why I need to wipe out
all the past setup that I have done and start anew.

Hope this clears things up.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
Then add a wireless network port for my laptop. I
already have a 4 channel router that connects to my BroadBand
modem
and the router has a wireless port.

All

More information that I should have thought of.

so, what is the real question? just plug in new modem to phone line, wire
it to the router and you are done. if I understood your setup right,
everything is hard wired. If you want to use wireless, then configure the
router properly, enable WEP and set a password and you are ready to go (if
it has the newer encryption protocol,use that instead). The router
instructions will tell you how to do this

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 25, 11:29*pm, Bob AZ wrote:
[...]

The version of XP you have makes a difference, Home doesn't have all
the networking widgets that come with the Pro edition. Haven't tried
doing Home myself, I've always used Pro. You will need identical user
accounts created on all machines(easiest to do) and set up your drives/
folders to be shared for each machine with those accounts. Windows is
happiest using DHCP, usually the DSL router is set up to be the DHCP
server for the internal network, this supplies unique IP addresses for
all your internal machines, one and only one DHCP server is needed. I
don't do it this way, I use fixed IP addresses in the 192.168.xxx.xxx
range since I've got some machines and equipment that aren't Windows-
based. That makes setup a little more tedious every time I have to
reinstall or change something, more addresses to type, also have to
keep track of IP addresses so duplicates aren't used. Not too bad with
three or four pieces of gear, becomes more tedious when there are
buildings-full to track.

Wireless can be accommodated via either an access point or a router.
Routers can do more stuff, access points are easier to set up. Either
can do the common encryption schemes, do MAC filtering and such. Get
the wired networking working before trying the wireless. Make sure
you change the default passwords on all the routers and networking
boxes, otherwise you've got a gaping hole for hackers to take over.
Worst mistake I made with networking was to run the setup utility off
the CD that came with the access point, it screwed up the machine and
it took a couple of days to restore it back to working condition.
Chucked that sucker and went back to manual config mode.

Books have been written on how to do this stuff, if you don't
understand some of the terms and stuff I've just written, you're going
to have to hit the books or do some googling. Uniform XP machines
should be pretty easy to network, the fun starts when you add other
OSes and non-PC equipment to the mix.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-26, Bob AZ wrote:

I am scheduled to lose Sprint BroadBand in a few days because Sprint
lost their FCC frequency allocation.

Bob, do you have any URL for this, I have a Sprint "wireless
broadband" modem and this is big (and bad!) news for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 26, 12:29*am, Bob AZ wrote:

I am scheduled to lose Sprint BroadBand in a few days because Sprint
lost their FCC frequency allocation. I have already signed up for DSL
with Qwest and the new modem is still in the box waiting for the CD,
to set up things, to arrive in the mail. Perhaps I would go with a

Don't be in a hurry to load that disk, unless you really need to
use the USB link rather than the Ethernet. Most Qwest Modems
are Actiontec or 2Wire. Open a browser and try
gateway.2wire.net to get into the setup screen, then click the
Broadband icon up top, then advanced. Fill in your PPPoA or E
info. Might need to try 192.16.0.1 or 172.16.0.1 if the above link
doesn't get you to setup.

If you have trouble, look on the disk for install PDF, use the Mac or
Linux manual setup. All you need is the account name and
password from Qwest, should have been mailed to you already

The Qwest disk loads software you really don't need or want on a PC

**
mike
**

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

More information that I should have thought of.

so, what is the real question? �just plug in new modem to phone line, wire
it to the router and �you are done. � if I understood your setup right,
everything is hard wired. �

The real question is that I want to delete all the settings that I
foolishly entered several months ago and start anew.

Then I will go ahead and try again after I switch to DSL. I ran a new
cable from the Telco Demarc so all should be fine equipment wise.

I will do the wired part first and then wait a week or more before the
wireless part.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am scheduled to lose Sprint BroadBand in a few days because Sprint
lost their FCC frequency allocation.

Bob, do you have any URL for this, I have a Sprint "wireless
broadband" modem and this is big (and bad!) news for me.

No URL. They sent me a letter in the mail. They also want me to take
their Wireless plan but I would need a card for each computer and the
cost would go up a buncd. Close to $100.00 each month. DSL will be
fine for me.

I am not sure what will happent to the Sprint Modem and Antenna. I wil
take it down, store if for a while wnd then toss it uness I can unload
it somewhere.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't be in a hurry to load that disk, unless you really need to
use the USB link rather than the Ethernet. Most Qwest Modems
are Actiontec or 2Wire. Open a browser and try
gateway.2wire.net � to get into the setup screen, then click the
Broadband icon up top, then advanced. Fill in your PPPoA or E
info. Might need to try 192.16.0.1 or 172.16.0.1 if the above link
doesn't get you to setup.

If you have trouble, look on the disk for install PDF, use the Mac or
Linux manual setup. All you need is the account name and
password from Qwest, should have been mailed to you already

The Qwest disk loads software you really don't need or want on a PC

**
mike
**

Nothing from Qwest yet. The called and left some obnoxious messages on
the answering machine hustling something. No caller ID.

Bob AZ