Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
WKW WKW is offline

Default Pure Iron source needed (USA)

I'm looking for a couple of feet of at least 99.5% pure iron rod or bar,
any size from at least 1/4" square or round, but not over 1/2" thick. I
need it for element collectors looking for pure samples of various metals.
I found this link on google: http://www.wagnercompanies.com/Pure_Iron.aspx
But they require a company account to order from them. (And also has a
minimum), The 10 x 20mm size looks ideal, but I need a source willing to
sell small amounts to anybody.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 May 2008 17:50:30 -0500, WKW wrote:

I'm looking for a couple of feet of at least 99.5% pure iron rod or bar,
any size from at least 1/4" square or round, but not over 1/2" thick. I
need it for element collectors looking for pure samples of various
metals. I found this link on google:
http://www.wagnercompanies.com/Pure_Iron.aspx But they require a company
account to order from them. (And also has a minimum), The 10 x 20mm size
looks ideal, but I need a source willing to sell small amounts to
anybody.

AISI 1005 steel is at least 99.5% iron, according to
http://efunda.com/materials/alloys/c..._1005&prop=all
which shows alloying elements (by weight %) as
C 0.06 (max)
Mn 0.35 (max)
P 0.04 (max)
S 0.05 (max)
which add up to 0.5%. Whether you can actually find any 1005
is another question.

While 1018 is quite common, its Mn limits are higher than for
1005 and its iron content may fall below 99%.

Given the small amount of iron you need, consider ordering from
a UK company -- http://www.pureiron.co.uk/price_list.htm

-jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 9, 4:50*pm, WKW wrote:
I'm looking for a couple of feet of at least 99.5% pure iron rod or bar,
any size from at least 1/4" square or round, but not over 1/2" thick. I
need it for element collectors looking for pure samples of various metals.
I found this link on google:http://www.wagnercompanies.com/Pure_Iron.aspx
But they require a company account to order from them. (And also has a
minimum), The 10 x 20mm size looks ideal, but I need a source willing to
sell small amounts to anybody.

The only thing I know as "pure" iron is the electrolytic stuff used by
chemists. You can buy as many 9s right of the decimal point as you
want, just bring money, spectrographic grade. Look it up in a lab
supply list. Usually supplied as small square chunks about 1/4" thick
sheared from a bar or sheet. Since the stuff is usually dissolved in
acid for a test standard, physical form doesn't matter.

Stan

Floor load needed to support cast iron tub? [email protected] Home Repair 18 June 28th 16 10:47 PM
48 V Relays - source needed Rick Hughes UK diy 37 December 13th 05 12:18 AM
source for Tin needed KJM Metalworking 3 August 27th 05 01:45 PM
a source for used big iron David E. Penner Woodworking 0 June 10th 05 09:20 PM
cast iron drain help needed Melissa Home Repair 8 March 19th 05 01:11 PM