Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atten Tom Gardner Turnkey,.. XY positioning with motors and controllers.

On Thu, 8 May 2008 07:03:19 -0700 (PDT), zxys wrote:

Sweet motherlode of linear overstocked sh*t at a low price....Hot
damn!

http://www.google.com/products?q=eba...firefox-a&um=1

.. 8^)

On May 7, 9:50*pm, "Protagonist" wrote:
Check Ebay!
JS

"zxys" wrote in message

Hey you guys,

Do you guys have some links to companies who sell (off the shelf)
small/compact all-in-one XY programmable systems.

We need a system which is "small"
Under 8" sqr would be great!
2"-3" of X-Y travel would be good.
And the positional accuracy can be loose,.. +/-.005. *(hobby cnc
system)?

Anyhow, something clean looking and reasonable in cost?

Thanks..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"zxys" wrote in message

Hey you guys,

Do you guys have some links to companies who sell (off the shelf)
small/compact all-in-one XY programmable systems.

We need a system which is "small"
Under 8" sqr would be great!
2"-3" of X-Y travel would be good.
And the positional accuracy can be loose,.. +/-.005. (hobby cnc
system)?

Anyhow, something clean looking and reasonable in cost?

Thanks..

What am I looking for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What am I looking for?

Tom, have you already given the group a good description of your
application? I used to work as a manufacturing engineer for these sorts of
projects. And there's many other brilliant minds on the NG.

Forgive if you've already done this and I missed it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

What am I looking for?

Tom, have you already given the group a good description of your application?
I used to work as a manufacturing engineer for these sorts of projects. And
there's many other brilliant minds on the NG.

Forgive if you've already done this and I missed it.

Karl

Gunner knows I do a lot of X-Y table stuff...now I see the link, I had to
cut/paste as it wasn't active. The typical commercial offerings are too slow, a
typical 1/4" move must go in 100-150 ms.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner knows I do a lot of X-Y table stuff...now I see the link, I had to
cut/paste as it wasn't active. The typical commercial offerings are too
slow, a typical 1/4" move must go in 100-150 ms.

I remember a staking operation where we used linear motors for positioning.
They should easily achieve the speed you need. I searched a bit for a short
primer on the subject:
http://www.compumotor.com/whitepages...torarticle.pdf

Compumotor was the vendor for this project, IIRC. They would be a good
choice for an industrial automation application. If you're adventurous, I've
seen compumotor stuff go for a tiny fraction of new on eBay.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ews.com...
Gunner knows I do a lot of X-Y table stuff...now I see the link, I had to
cut/paste as it wasn't active. The typical commercial offerings are too
slow, a typical 1/4" move must go in 100-150 ms.

I remember a staking operation where we used linear motors for positioning.
They should easily achieve the speed you need. I searched a bit for a short
primer on the subject:
http://www.compumotor.com/whitepages...torarticle.pdf

Compumotor was the vendor for this project, IIRC. They would be a good choice
for an industrial automation application. If you're adventurous, I've seen
compumotor stuff go for a tiny fraction of new on eBay.

Karl

Yep, Parker has good **** Maynard!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 May 2008 19:13:34 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

.. .

"zxys" wrote in message

Hey you guys,

Do you guys have some links to companies who sell (off the shelf)
small/compact all-in-one XY programmable systems.

We need a system which is "small"
Under 8" sqr would be great!
2"-3" of X-Y travel would be good.
And the positional accuracy can be loose,.. +/-.005. (hobby cnc
system)?

Anyhow, something clean looking and reasonable in cost?

Thanks..

What am I looking for?

Linear ways etc etc

Gunner