Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ancient laptop repairing

I bought this ancient laptop (Toshiba T2000SX) on flea market.
It uses two batteries (second one is for BIOS):
-pa8725u (14.4V 2.2AH NiMH) shows 0,45VDC
-XZ0072P09 (6V NiCad) shows 0VDC

They are dead, but I'd like to just try to recharge them. Of course
there is no
original AC power supply. So, can I use standard
AC/DC converter (1000mA max)? Or maybe the 9V NiMh recharger?
Should I just connect + to + , set voltage to 12VDC and let it charge
for a while?

There is power connector on side of laptop, it says 18VDC.
It has 4 pins but I don't have pinout..
if I obtain it, can I try it with 12V ATX PSU?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

orange writes:

I bought this ancient laptop (Toshiba T2000SX) on flea market.
It uses two batteries (second one is for BIOS):
-pa8725u (14.4V 2.2AH NiMH) shows 0,45VDC
-XZ0072P09 (6V NiCad) shows 0VDC

They are dead, but I'd like to just try to recharge them. Of course
there is no
original AC power supply. So, can I use standard
AC/DC converter (1000mA max)? Or maybe the 9V NiMh recharger?
Should I just connect + to + , set voltage to 12VDC and let it charge
for a while?

There is power connector on side of laptop, it says 18VDC.
It has 4 pins but I don't have pinout..
if I obtain it, can I try it with 12V ATX PSU?

It's nearly 100 percent certain that the battery is dead for good.
Even "zapping" is rarely successful on these batteries. And something
that probably hasn't been charged in 10 or 15 years is even more
hopeless.

You have nothing to lose by trying to charge it but don't expect miracles.

It would be worth trying to run the laptop on a DC power supply matching
the battery voltage with sufficient current. However, even if you had the
AC adapter, it probably wouldn't run the laptop without a good battery.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
orange writes:

[...]

There often is hope: If 12 NiMH AA-cells would fit into the same space
as the 14.4V battery that would yield the same of even higher capacity
than the original. Should cost less than $25 when on sale. Most have
2.3Ah, some are claimed even higher.

NiCd are harder but places like Batteries Plus should be able to help.
Of course there comes a point where one has to think about how much
money it is worth sinking into such an old machine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Joerg" wrote in message
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
orange writes:

[...]

Or if you don't need the battery, just look on ebay for a compatible power
supply and use the laptop plugged into the wall.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:
"Joerg" wrote in message
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
orange writes:

[...]

In my old Toshiba there are two BIOS batteries. When it didn't boot up,
I tore the machine down, found one battery dead (not a common type). It
happened after several months of inactivity. I'm going to give it a
trickle charge just for test purposes, but if that brings the machine
alive, I'm not going to trust the old battery. OTOH, it might have
worked if I'd only plugged it in for a while before trying it.

Chargers are available for just about any laptop on eBay. In fact I
once bought one for this very machine there. In any case, no harm in
using one of the proper voltage, current and polarity. I'd get a ps,
and try charging everything. Possibly that's all you'd need, although I
agree the main battery is toast. If it's completely apart now, I would
replace the BIOS battery as well.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22 Apr 2008 19:35:32 -0400, Sam Goldwasser wrote:

orange writes:

I bought this ancient laptop (Toshiba T2000SX) on flea market.
It uses two batteries (second one is for BIOS):
-pa8725u (14.4V 2.2AH NiMH) shows 0,45VDC
-XZ0072P09 (6V NiCad) shows 0VDC

They are dead, but I'd like to just try to recharge them. Of course
there is no
original AC power supply. So, can I use standard
AC/DC converter (1000mA max)? Or maybe the 9V NiMh recharger?
Should I just connect + to + , set voltage to 12VDC and let it charge
for a while?

The unit won't run with less than 14v1 DC input. The batery won't charge at 12V
either.

There is power connector on side of laptop, it says 18VDC.
It has 4 pins but I don't have pinout..
if I obtain it, can I try it with 12V ATX PSU?

No, voltage will be insufficient and inappropriate.

It's nearly 100 percent certain that the battery is dead for good.
Even "zapping" is rarely successful on these batteries. And something
that probably hasn't been charged in 10 or 15 years is even more
hopeless.

You have nothing to lose by trying to charge it but don't expect miracles.

I agree (I own two of those T2000SX machines)

It would be worth trying to run the laptop on a DC power supply matching
the battery voltage with sufficient current. However, even if you had the
AC adapter, it probably wouldn't run the laptop without a good battery.

They run with the AC adaptor both without a battery installed and with a dead
battery in place.

If you want to operate the machine from an external power supply, then you will
need to:

1. connect the PSU to the + and - terminals in the battery bay.

2. ensure the applied voltage exceeds 14v2. best would be 16v or so. I
haven;'t measured the startup current draw as the HDD spins up, but if the PSU
isn't capable of 2A I'd expect you may have problems.

3. bridge the central contact pair with a 10k resistor
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

"Joerg" wrote in message
Sam Goldwasser wrote:
orange writes:

[...]

I don't know about the T2000SX, but many Toshiba laptops I've used required
the battery to be good in order to use the AC adapter.

But first try a DC power supply to see if the laptop works at all.