Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components

Default Fast recovery diode query

Firstly is "fast recovery" diode = = "high speed" diode?

I have 2 ok diodes of originally 3 on a board, one missing. 1N4148 in size
and form but known to be fast recovery types.

Is there a non-destructive test I could say graph-out sub 10mA and sub 20V
plots of something of one and infer something about their manximum ratings?

They have 2 green colour bands and one thick blue band. I've scanned through
a listing of 1500 fast recovery diodes of less than 100mA rating for 55 and
a 6 in the type numbers but nothing found.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components

N_Cook wrote:

Firstly is "fast recovery" diode = = "high speed" diode?

Basically yes.

I have 2 ok diodes of originally 3 on a board, one missing. 1N4148 in size
and form but known to be fast recovery types.

Well ... diodes that small usually are fast types anyway. It's only 'power
diodes' (usually 1A rated and above) that are slow enough for there their fast
equivalents to be separately designated.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:30:58 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Firstly is "fast recovery" diode = = "high speed" diode?

I have 2 ok diodes of originally 3 on a board, one missing. 1N4148 in size
and form but known to be fast recovery types.

Don't assume the missing one is the same type, or even required, if
not present.

RL
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.components

"N_Cook" writes:

Firstly is "fast recovery" diode = = "high speed" diode?

I have 2 ok diodes of originally 3 on a board, one missing. 1N4148 in size
and form but known to be fast recovery types.

How do you know?

Is there a non-destructive test I could say graph-out sub 10mA and sub 20V
plots of something of one and infer something about their manximum ratings?

Nothing I'd trust.

They have 2 green colour bands and one thick blue band. I've scanned through
a listing of 1500 fast recovery diodes of less than 100mA rating for 55 and
a 6 in the type numbers but nothing found.

What sort of circuit are these in?