Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default RF-modulator damages fidelity?

I read online on the page advertising one RF modulator for sale that
it would damage fidelity. Is this just as true for all RF
modulators? And is it substantial?

I want to buy a DVD recorder and use the modulator to play through TVs
that have only a co-ax connector. These tvs have worked fine with
VCRs but VCRs I guess either have a built-in RF modulator or maybe
more likely, the signal is always RF until just before the audio and
video jacks. (Why can't DVD recorders be built the same way? And
make my life simple.)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The DVD format is meant to be of the highest possible quality for the
cost. There are limitations with the RF system used in TV sets unless
they are in digital. To have high quality RF for home use the cost
would be too high.

If you were to have a consumer DVD recorder, it should have at least
an RF input in order to be able to record conventional TV shows. But,
the quality is poor compared to a digital video source using component
baseband video.

For what you want to do you just have to get a low cost A/V to RF
modulator. You can then distribute its output around your home.

To answer your question. When converting a baseband A/V signal to RF
there will be a degradation of quality.

Jerry G.
======

On Apr 4, 10:32*pm, mm wrote:
I read online on the page advertising one RF modulator for sale that
it would damage fidelity. * Is this just as true for all RF
modulators? *And is it substantial?

I want to buy a DVD recorder and use the modulator to play through TVs
that have only a co-ax connector. *These tvs have worked fine with
VCRs but VCRs I guess either have a built-in RF modulator or maybe
more likely, the signal is always RF until just before the audio and
video jacks. *(Why can't DVD recorders be built the same way? *And
make my life simple.)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM *:-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 19:55:02 -0700 (PDT), "Jerry G."
wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The DVD format is meant to be of the highest possible quality for the
cost. There are limitations with the RF system used in TV sets unless
they are in digital. To have high quality RF for home use the cost
would be too high.

If you were to have a consumer DVD recorder, it should have at least
an RF input in order to be able to record conventional TV shows. But,
the quality is poor compared to a digital video source using component
baseband video.

Could you compare the RF output of the RF modulator to the current
analog broadcast signal quality? I don't need better than I have now.

For what you want to do you just have to get a low cost A/V to RF
modulator. You can then distribute its output around your home.

To answer your question. When converting a baseband A/V signal to RF
there will be a degradation of quality.

Of course. I didn't ask my question well. Do you think it will be
substantial, that the digital signal through the A/V jacks and then
through the RF modulator to the TV will be worse than what I currently
get using the same antenna with analog signals passing-through the VCR
to the tv.

Thanks again.

Jerry G.
======

On Apr 4, 10:32*pm, mm wrote:
I read online on the page advertising one RF modulator for sale that
it would damage fidelity. * Is this just as true for all RF
modulators? *And is it substantial?

I want to buy a DVD recorder and use the modulator to play through TVs
that have only a co-ax connector. *These tvs have worked fine with
VCRs but VCRs I guess either have a built-in RF modulator or maybe
more likely, the signal is always RF until just before the audio and
video jacks. *(Why can't DVD recorders be built the same way? *And
make my life simple.)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM *:-)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Could you compare the RF output of the RF modulator to the current
analog broadcast signal quality? I don't need better than I have now.

As long as it's a decent quality modulator, it should look at least as good
as over the air. You can get true professional modulators if you look around
on ebay, those are what are used in cable TV headends.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Of course. I didn't ask my question well. Do you think
it will be substantial, that the digital signal through the
A/V jacks...

That's an analog signal, not digital.

...and then through the RF modulator to the TV will be
worse than what I currently get using the same antenna
with analog signals passing-through the VCR to the TV.

This is a meaningless question, unless you were comparing the DVD played
over a broadcast station with the same DVD played in your home.

Assuming the modulator is well-engineered -- and who knows whether it is or
isn't? -- there should not be much difference in quality.

You're asking a question not unlike someone picking up a jar of strawberry
preserves from a company they've never heard of and asking a stranger
whether it tastes good. How is that person supposed to know?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 06:11:53 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

Could you compare the RF output of the RF modulator to the current
analog broadcast signal quality? I don't need better than I have now.

As long as it's a decent quality modulator, it should look at least as good
as over the air. You can get true professional modulators if you look around
on ebay, those are what are used in cable TV headends.

Thanks. I will soon come to terms with the question in the next
thread and I'll get a moderately good one, and maybe the transition to
digital won't be bad for me, or too expensive. .

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks. I will soon come to terms with the question in the next
thread and I'll get a moderately good one, and maybe the transition to
digital won't be bad for me, or too expensive. .

What does any of this have to do with digital? Neither the input or output
of a modulator is digital. If what you want to do is recieve over the air
digital TV, you need a digital converter box.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 23:01:20 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

Thanks. I will soon come to terms with the question in the next
thread and I'll get a moderately good one, and maybe the transition to
digital won't be bad for me, or too expensive. .

What does any of this have to do with digital? Neither the input or output
of a modulator is digital. If what you want to do is recieve over the air
digital TV, you need a digital converter box.

I'm going to get one of those too, and/or a dVD recorder.

In short, the DVD recorder only will only have Digital RF output,
unlike the antenna now, and the VCR now, which have analog RF output.

In long, the DVD recorders I am looking at have a tuner and will
provide composite (Right/Left/Video is composite?) output, but to use
it on the TV in the same room, that tv needs to have matching jacks.
Right now the tv in that room only has co-ax RF input, so I need the
modulator.

Even if I get a different tv for that room, the easiest way to provide
a signal to the other tvs in the house is to use an RF modulator and
the current co-ax that runs through the house.

I hope the fidelity will be good enough. Based on what you said, it
probably will be, (I'm currently not that picky, but otoh, I'm psyched
up that digiatl will be a lot better.)

The other possible plan, to run s-video or composite to all those tv's
is feasible, but a lot of work. Even if I do it, it won't be ready
right away, and the RF-mod plan can be done in an hour or less.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In short, the DVD recorder will only have digital RF output,
unlike the antenna now, and the VCR now, which have
analog RF output.

I know of no consumer modulator -- built-in or separate -- that generates an
ATSC RF signal. There would be little point to it.

I don't think you have a good understanding of how video modulation and
distribution work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 03:35:14 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

In short, the DVD recorder will only have digital RF output,
unlike the antenna now, and the VCR now, which have
analog RF output.

I know of no consumer modulator -- built-in or separate -- that generates an
ATSC RF signal. There would be little point to it.

I don't think you have a good understanding of how video modulation and
distribution work.

OK, let me put it this way. Without the RF modulator, the DVD
recorder will only have line output, unlike the antenna now and the
VCR now, which have RF output. Since most of my tvs only have RF
input, I need the modulator.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK, let me put it this way. Without the RF modulator, the DVD
recorder will only have line output, unlike the antenna now and the
VCR now, which have RF output. Since most of my tvs only have RF
input, I need the modulator.

The output of the DVD recorder will probably not be digital, it will be
either composite video, or component, both use RCA plugs and both are
analog.