Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Irreversible temperature sensitive labels

For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range and less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote in message
For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range and

less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I may make my own rough indicators. So a few common tested materials

Photocopier toner wiped onto paper label starts fusing about 90 degrees C
White soap rubbed onto paper label turns brown at about 160 degrees.
From a selection of those small circular sticky backed paper circles of
different colours, the blue one changed most to very dark blue at about 200
deg C and flourescent green one became ordinary green.
Mylar plastic sheet starts crinkling up at 120 deg C , totally melting by
180 deg. Any other ideas ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"N Cook" wrote:

For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range and less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Don't remember anything about range and precision, but Burt Rutan drew
closely spaced parallel lines in various spots on the leading edges of
SpaceShipOne to test heat levels. He used special wax crayons of
different colors that melt at different temperatures. I thought it was a
damn cheap and damn clever method of doing some sophisticated
temperature monitoring.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range and
less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

A simple Google search for crayon temperature uk found this site. There
were others.

http://www.omega.co.uk/shop/subsecti...rature&all =1

Charlie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range and

less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges

like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I may make my own rough indicators. So a few common tested materials

Photocopier toner wiped onto paper label starts fusing about 90 degrees C
White soap rubbed onto paper label turns brown at about 160 degrees.
From a selection of those small circular sticky backed paper circles of
different colours, the blue one changed most to very dark blue at about

200
deg C and flourescent green one became ordinary green.
Mylar plastic sheet starts crinkling up at 120 deg C , totally melting by
180 deg. Any other ideas ?

One other material I'd overlooked is thermal paper for fax or till roll

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range and

less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges

like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I may make my own rough indicators. So a few common tested materials

Photocopier toner wiped onto paper label starts fusing about 90 degrees

White soap rubbed onto paper label turns brown at about 160 degrees.
From a selection of those small circular sticky backed paper circles of
different colours, the blue one changed most to very dark blue at about

200
deg C and flourescent green one became ordinary green.
Mylar plastic sheet starts crinkling up at 120 deg C , totally melting

by
180 deg. Any other ideas ?

One other material I'd overlooked is thermal paper for fax or till roll

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

The till roll paper I tried started to go blue at 75 deg C , so an assorment
of punched out paper dots with appropriate coatings/impregnations and high
temp glue should give a reasonable idea of max temps

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range and
less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges

like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I may make my own rough indicators. So a few common tested materials

Photocopier toner wiped onto paper label starts fusing about 90 degrees

White soap rubbed onto paper label turns brown at about 160 degrees.
From a selection of those small circular sticky backed paper circles of
different colours, the blue one changed most to very dark blue at about

200
deg C and flourescent green one became ordinary green.
Mylar plastic sheet starts crinkling up at 120 deg C , totally melting

by
180 deg. Any other ideas ?

One other material I'd overlooked is thermal paper for fax or till roll

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

The till roll paper I tried started to go blue at 75 deg C , so an assorment
of punched out paper dots with appropriate coatings/impregnations and high
temp glue should give a reasonable idea of max temps

You can buy ready made temp sensitive labels you know.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , "Ron(UK)"
writes
N Cook wrote:
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range and
less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges
like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I may make my own rough indicators. So a few common tested materials

Photocopier toner wiped onto paper label starts fusing about 90 degrees

White soap rubbed onto paper label turns brown at about 160 degrees.
From a selection of those small circular sticky backed paper circles of
different colours, the blue one changed most to very dark blue at about
200
deg C and flourescent green one became ordinary green.
Mylar plastic sheet starts crinkling up at 120 deg C , totally melting

by
180 deg. Any other ideas ?

One other material I'd overlooked is thermal paper for fax or till roll

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

The till roll paper I tried started to go blue at 75 deg C , so an
assorment
of punched out paper dots with appropriate coatings/impregnations and high
temp glue should give a reasonable idea of max temps

You can buy ready made temp sensitive labels you know.

Ron(UK)

Do a search on temp-spy+adhesive.
There are several results.
http://www.tequipment.net/WahlTS3-232C.html
http://www.auriema.com/wahl-temperature-products.php
Ian.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Jackson wrote in message
news
In message , "Ron(UK)"
writes
N Cook wrote:
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range

and
less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges
like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I may make my own rough indicators. So a few common tested materials

Photocopier toner wiped onto paper label starts fusing about 90

degrees
White soap rubbed onto paper label turns brown at about 160 degrees.
From a selection of those small circular sticky backed paper circles

of
[...]

"Model TS3 covers a narrow range of approximately 20°C with 3 indicators."
I'm already perfectly aware of such labels but my OP referred to a much more
extended range of temps, which I've yet to see examples of or be pointed to.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , N Cook
writes
N Cook wrote:
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
For long term indication of in-service maximum temperatures
Anyone know of (UK preferably ) supplier of labels with more range

and
less
precision than the likes of the usual 5 temperatures in small ranges
like,
116-138 degC
171-193 degC
204-260 degC
say 5 temperature range of 70,100,130,160,200 on single labels

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

I may make my own rough indicators. So a few common tested materials

Photocopier toner wiped onto paper label starts fusing about 90

degrees
White soap rubbed onto paper label turns brown at about 160 degrees.
From a selection of those small circular sticky backed paper circles

of
[...]

Have you clicked on 'Catalog'?
Whal seem to have a fair selection of ranges.
Ian.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

"Model TS3 covers a narrow range of approximately 20°C with 3 indicators."
I'm already perfectly aware of such labels but my OP referred to a much more
extended range of temps, which I've yet to see examples of or be pointed to.

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/sectionSC.asp?section=F&book=temperature

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell