Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Source for Onkyo OPU?

Hi:
I have a Onkyo DR-c500 5.1 HT receiver/amp that has a 5-disk DVD/CD
changer. The OPU (phillips) has developed a problem (not always being
able to read the disk-any disk). I understand this is a common failure
in this unit. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement OPU? I
called Onkyo and the 'repair shop price' is around $360! Suggested list
is $500. Buying a $100 sony DVD player would solve the problem but I
like the convenience of the integrated player, and one less remote
control. Any suggestions on repairing the OPU directly? e.g. what are
some things to look at? I've dusted and cleaned the lense, checked the
supply voltages. Its probably an alignement problem but I don't have any
alignment disks. Why do they mfg this junk and charge outragous prices
for replacement parts and promote the throw away mentality? After
buying this, I certaintly would not buy another Onkyo product...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Hudak wrote:
[...]

It's a Philips mech - sold pre-aligned with it's matching circuit board.
That's why it's so expensive.
Of course, that's the whole point - to discourage any out-of-warranty
repair. We are just supposed to buy another piece of junk so we can continue
to feed the Chinese army. Last time I checked Onkyo had a couple hundred of
those mechs in stock. No surprise nobody's rushing to buy them...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
John Hudak wrote:
[...]

P.S.

Onkyo:

It's their Philips-built optical players that aren't such great performers
or economical to fix. A few of their single-disc types use Pioneer mech,
which are much better.

Their receivers and amps etc are just fine.

Mark Z.