WF

Default how to setup a digital straight edge

I got one in a shop auction, 8", never out of the box. It is marked
STM and made in China. It seems fairly well built. I got it to put on
my mill/drill X-axis, but the setup eludes me. The end brackets have
holes and are pretty straight forward, but the back of the travelling
digital readout head has 2 small tapped holes. I'm not sure of the
connection here. I guess it must be attached to a bracket on the
mill/drill and the ends on the table, but it as only an 8" travel.If
the table travel is longer, I assume I must design the brackets to be
movable to encompass that extra travel. Can some kind person here give
me a few ideas on this subject or point me in the right direction, a
websight perhaps?

Anthony

WF wrote in news:rrkke0ta7krvaeg5bhlv0glqugmm0p5sfa@
4ax.com:

I got one in a shop auction, 8", never out of the box. It is marked
STM and made in China. It seems fairly well built. I got it to put on
my mill/drill X-axis, but the setup eludes me. The end brackets have
holes and are pretty straight forward, but the back of the travelling
digital readout head has 2 small tapped holes. I'm not sure of the
connection here. I guess it must be attached to a bracket on the
mill/drill and the ends on the table, but it as only an 8" travel.If
the table travel is longer, I assume I must design the brackets to be
movable to encompass that extra travel. Can some kind person here give
me a few ideas on this subject or point me in the right direction, a
websight perhaps?

I ASSume you are describing a DRO encoder. With only 8" of travel, this
would be for either the quill or Y axis on a bridgeport style mill. The
encoder must match the travel of the axis it is mounted to, or be longer
than the travel of the axis. You cannot use it on an axis that is longer
than the encoder travel.

The ends mount solid to the machine frame. The reader mounts to the axis.
The alignment must be extremely good the full travel.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Robin S.

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Avoid all that confusion. Get some duck tape and a ruler out of your kids
pencil box.

Bob Swinney

Something like, "If I have to tell you, you probably shouldn't be using it
anyway"?

Regards,

Robin

Digital set-top boxes (slightly O/T) - weak signal area. Jonathan Peters UK diy 139 January 19th 04 10:27 AM
Failure to get sharp RWL Metalworking 21 October 10th 03 03:23 AM
Digital Photography using up electrons =\\^.^/= Metalworking 17 September 1st 03 04:29 PM