Ben

Default 53.00 for a 40cf argon refill ??? I think I need to shop around.

Robert's Oxygen. Anywhere cheaper in te Dc area?
Steve Lusardi

Sounds cheap to me. In Germany it is $110 for 40 liters.
Steve
"Ben" wrote in message
om...
Robert's Oxygen. Anywhere cheaper in te Dc area?

Ned Simmons

In article bc436b41.0407020149.188f2962
@posting.google.com, says...
Robert's Oxygen. Anywhere cheaper in te Dc area?

Can't help with DC, but certainly call around. And inquire
about the refill price for larger tanks. I pay around $65
for a refill on a 330CF tank.

Ned Simmons
Jon Elson

Ben wrote:
Robert's Oxygen. Anywhere cheaper in te Dc area?

CeeKay (local welding gas distributor) quoted me $40
for an 80 CF tank. I got a half-price deal on the first
fill, but am ready for my first full-price refill.

I quickly switched to gas lenses in my TIG torch, and it
seems like I can work with a lot lower Argon flow rate.
These things look like they pay for themselves in about an
hour or two.

Jon

Brian Lawson

Hey Jon,

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 02:00:52 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:
SNIP
I quickly switched to gas lenses in my TIG torch,

SNIP

Jon

What are "gas lenses"?

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Roy

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:35:37 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

===In article bc436b41.0407020149.188f2962
, says...
=== Robert's Oxygen. Anywhere cheaper in te Dc area?
===
===Can't help with DC, but certainly call around. And inquire
===about the refill price for larger tanks. I pay around $65
===for a refill on a 330CF tank.
===
===Ned Simmons

I pay 19.00 in my area for a 50 / 55 cubic foot tank of
argon.........South Central Alabama

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Dan Caster

I can't help for the D.C. area, but here in Washington State I paid
about that much for a 50 cf tank of C25. That included a recert of
the tank and the cost of the tank. I took in a CO2 tank that I got at
the scrap yard that was about twenty years out of cert. So can't
complain about paying for the hydrostat.

Dan

Robert's Oxygen. Anywhere cheaper in te Dc area?

Gary Coffman

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 08:07:15 -0400, Brian Lawson wrote:
What are "gas lenses"?

TIG torch collet body that uses a wire mesh or honeycomb to straighten
the flow of shielding gases. They produce a straight laminar flow which
allows the tungsten to stick out further from the cup without losing shield.
Generally, you can reduce gas CFH flow rates substantially when using
a gas lens, or safely stick the tungsten way out for getting into tight
spots.

Gary
Jon Elson

Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey Jon,

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 02:00:52 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:
SNIP

I quickly switched to gas lenses in my TIG torch,

SNIP

Jon

What are "gas lenses"?

It is a gadget that fits in place of the front collet part in a TIG torch,
and provides approximately laminar flow of the shileding gas. You can
actually see the turbulence in the Argon if you hold the torch sideways
against a bright light. When you put in the gas lens, you can actually
see a nearly perfect laminar stream flowing from the cup.

It seems to require a larger cup size, and may require changing a
gasket in the torch. Other than better coverage of the weld area
with shielding gas, you can cut the flow rate about in half with a
gas lens. At the cost of Argon, it will pay for itself very quickly.
I just bought a set of gas lenses, cups and gaskets on eBay for
under $10.

Jon

Dan Caster

I found my receipt. I paid $23.05 for 50 cf of C25 including the haz
material fee but not the sales tax.

Dan