Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default You're not going to believe this...but

today I went searching for the cheapest dovetail jig and went into a few
local outlets trying to find the cheapest.

Anyway went into this shop which was an agent for B&D mainly but sold other
brands.
This 17/18 year old came up to me and said...can I help.

I pointed out I was after a dovetail jig,he picked up a trend catalogue and
was flicking through the router bits section, me was mystified,got fed up
and pointed out to him it was a jig not a bit,he then pointed to one corner
of the shop and said...the only jigs we have are on display in the corner,
when I looked he was pointing to Jigsaws I turned to him and said...did you
blag your way into this job and walked out of the shop.

Jesus! how the hell do these people get the jobs?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
[...]

You should have gone to B&Q

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

[...]

What's the problem ? B&D don't sell dovetail jigs, so why should he know
about them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
[...]

Its a bit like this...

If you walked into any tool store you'd expect the sales assistant to have
at least a bit of knowledge as to what a certain tool,piece of equipment
is.

The fact that its a B&D store doesent come into it.

Its a bit like walking into a Vaccume cleaner repair shop and asking for a
set of brushes for a certain vaccume cleaner the sales assistant should be
able to know what cleaner you're on about,otherwise he's in the wrong game.

Now do you get my drift?
Too many outlets are just taking on staff who havn't got a clue about the
merchandise they're selling.

In my early years of employment if you didn't have the knowledge of what
the particular job entailed you never got the position,they wanted someone
with experience in that line of work.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ken Ken is offline

the old saying comes to mind----Pay peanuts---get monkeys.

ken

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 01:55:53 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby" said:

OG wrote:
[...]

You answered your own question in your opening sentence.

today I went searching for the cheapest dovetail jig and went into a
few local outlets trying to find the cheapest.

If a retailer is going to meet this requirement, how do you imagine
that he will have the revenue and margin to support experienced and
knowledgable staff who would be paid more than minimum wage?

You can't have it both ways.

Cheap does not equate to getting good service......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-23 03:14:13 +0100, "Ken" said:

the old saying comes to mind----Pay peanuts---get monkeys.

ken

Quite. The reason that that happens is because of customers'
expectation of paying low prices.

Good service does not come at the cheapest places, there isn't the
margin to support it....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:55:53 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If you walked into any tool store you'd expect the sales assistant to have
at least a bit of knowledge as to what a certain tool,piece of equipment
is.

This is the school holidays: from the age that the OP estimated the
kid to be, this may just be a holiday job.
If that's the case, he may well be just a relative of the store
manager or simply the only one who walked in and said "gizza job".

Instead of berating the boy, would it have been so hard to at least
be pleasant and maybe even educate him a bit?

Pete
--

.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:55:53 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

If you walked into any tool store you'd expect the sales assistant to
have
at least a bit of knowledge as to what a certain tool,piece of equipment
is.

This is the school holidays: from the age that the OP estimated the
kid to be, this may just be a holiday job.
If that's the case, he may well be just a relative of the store
manager or simply the only one who walked in and said "gizza job".

Instead of berating the boy, would it have been so hard to at least
be pleasant and maybe even educate him a bit?

I agree. Where does all this experience that you expect the boy to possess
come from? If we don't allow the young ones the time to gain the necessary
experience, what's going to happen in, say, 5/10/15 years from now when all
the older experienced staff have moved on/died/gained promotion etc.? If
enough people come in and give him a hard time, he'll probably think "stuff
this", and go out on the streets and be a rent boy or sell drugs or
something equally more rewarding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:
[...]

There was a time when a dissatisfied customer would complain to the shop
manager who is responsible for employing the right calibre and training
their staff. These days many customers just treat the shop assistant, who is
often a part-time recent school leaver, on the minimum wage, trying to
support themselves and paying their way through university, like ****. We
all have to learn. What did being rude to the shop assistant achieve? Why
didn't you ask to speak to someone more knowledgeable and experienced?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" writes:

Anyway went into this shop which was an agent for B&D mainly but sold other
brands.
This 17/18 year old came up to me and said...can I help.

Reminds me of an incident. I was away from home in an location
I didn't know and needed a vice. Had noticed a Halfords and
thought it possible they might have one. Of course, couldn't
see one, and was just pondering what sort of amusing reply
I was going to get from the sales assitant when I asked for
a vice. So I walk up to the counter and say
"I'm looking for a vice", to which he responds quite
genuinely with,
"Advice about what, sir?".
That wasn't one if the responses I'd bargined on ;-)
Anyway, left Halfords with a very nice Record vice, which I
considered to be quite reasonably priced.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ken
wrote:

the old saying comes to mind----Pay peanuts---get monkeys.

And they can only afford peanuts because of the type that spend many hours
looking around for the lowest price, rather than the best value for money.

--
AJL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
snip

Jesus! how the hell do these people get the jobs?

They're perhaps the only ones prepared to put up with gratuitous abuse
from barely-literate oafs - and I have heard of some examples of that
sort of person trying to buy tools.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Ken
wrote:

the old saying comes to mind----Pay peanuts---get monkeys.

And they can only afford peanuts because of the type that spend many hours
looking around for the lowest price, rather than the best value for money.

Worse are the types who spend hours in store asking questions, then buy
online.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ken wrote:
the old saying comes to mind----Pay peanuts---get monkeys.

ken

Thats true,some in here as well.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Autolycus wrote:

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
snip

Jesus! how the hell do these people get the jobs?

They're perhaps the only ones prepared to put up with gratuitous abuse
from barely-literate oafs - and I have heard of some examples of that
sort of person trying to buy tools.

.... and posting on usenet, see the OP's spelling of vacuum! :-)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Anthropist wrote:

Why didn't you ask to speak to
someone more knowledgeable and experienced?

More to the point why didn't the shop assistant ask one of his collegues
did they stock the item in question.

That would of saved my time and his.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:
More to the point why didn't the shop assistant ask one of his collegues
did they stock the item in question.

That would of saved my time and his.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Probably because they were pondering whether to tell you to **** off, but
thought better of it since that would have meant the sack.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Anthropist wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:
More to the point why didn't the shop assistant ask one of his
collegues did they stock the item in question.

That would of saved my time and his.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Probably because they were pondering whether to tell you to **** off,
but thought better of it since that would have meant the sack.

I should of guessed you'd come up with a reply like that as I've turned the
table on a more appropriate thing he should of done in such a situation.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The3rd
Earl Of Derby wrote:

Too many outlets are just taking on staff who havn't got a clue about the
merchandise they're selling.

I had a really good experience recently in a small local music shop. I
am looking to buy a digital piano but obviously it is best to try
different models first. Also I won't be able to actually make a
purchase for a few months yet but I thought I would look into what is
available now.

The local shop I went to had a few pianos on display from Yamaha and
Roland and the sales assistant couldn't have been more helpful or
better informed. On request he produced a set of headphones for me and
my friend to use and we were encouraged to spend as long as we liked
trying the various pianos. I explained to him that I wouldn't be in a
position to make a purchase just yet but he wasn't bothered in the
slightest and insisted that I should return whenever I wanted to try
the pianos again. He was able to demonstrate the various features of
each piano and was well informed about the range of models available.
and without being asked he produced catalogues for me to take away.

OK, their prices are slightly higher than I would pay on the internet
or from some box shifting company but not by very much, and the
attitude of this guy has made me determined that he will get my
business when the time comes to buy.

--
Adrian

"Consturbata sunt visera mea"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote:
[...]

You owe the lad an apology, but that would take a man.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Holmes wrote:

You should have gone to B&Q

I applied for a job at B&Q a few years ago - after a quick chat I was
offered a job there and then mainly because I knew what POS and SEL mean

Didn't take it, btw.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:55:53 +0000, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

OG wrote:
[...]

The nub of your problem was expecting that B&Q which is a store that sells
tools is actually a tool store.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ken wrote:
the old saying comes to mind----Pay peanuts---get monkeys.

ken

Yeah, I know what you mean, when I go to work on a Sunday I like to pick
up a Bacon & Egg McMuffin from the McDonalds down the road, after being
quoted the price which had increased by 20p since the beginning of the
year (This was a while ago) I expressed my concerns over the severe
increase in price, the chap shrugged and said "Inflation I guess." to
which I answered "Inflation is only 2.1% at the moment, that increase is
pushing 18" to which the puzzled reply was "Really? I thought there
was only 10 per-cent to a Pound" I walked away slowly suppressing an
urge to yell "Step away from the human gene pool and put your hands
behind your head!!"

//J
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
[...]

Your point is valid; but it wasn't a B&Q!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Well if they don't sell dovetail jigs, not a common retail item for most
retail outlets in case you hadn't noticed, how the **** do you expect him to
know what you are on about? You might as well have asked him for a
reticulating retaining plunger, like the sort you don't use on the missus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

... and posting on usenet, see the OP's spelling of vacuum! :-)

I'll pick you as the target since some people are nit picking about me
being illiterate,which doesn't bother me one Iota.

Being illiterate(only partial mind) has never stopped or interfered with my
ability to secure employment in my early stages of youth,the jobs I chose
where jobs that interested me and I've had quite a few jobs in my time
because I didn't want stay put for longer than two years.

Anyway througout my employment career I've gained more knowledge that quite
number of people don't posses,this knowledge is as follows...

I have degrees in art..early stages of leaving school and into college.
Certificates in woodwork/Joinery.
Done 12months electronics but never stayed to take exam.
Have worked in a an engineering workshop.
Spent 3 years working for an electrical contractor,mainly house
rewiring,shops.
Worked for two large estate agents as a jack of all trades.

Most of my DIY knowledge is self taught,these include...
Glazing.
Plastering.
Joinery.
Tiling,wall&floor.
Lay a concrete floor.
Plumbing.
Electrical.
Painting&Decorating.
TV&Video Repairing.
Build&sort out PC problems.

I can play two types of musical instruments Guitar and Clarinet,although
this instrument is only just recently learning.

So I say to YOU that pick up on my illiteracy points...how much of that can
you DO?

Being illiterate doesn't mean the person is stupid,its because they cant
comprehend(thats *understand* for the simple folk) that sort of field in
lifes tapestry of learning.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:

[...]

If you used your spellchecker, nobody would know you couldn't spell.
Scott Fitzgerald couldn't spell either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
[...]

Quite so! I picked up the B&Q from one of the replies.
Since the shop was presumably not in the sole charge of the said youf, the
OP could have asked for a more experienced assistant?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:45:16 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

Your point is valid; but it wasn't a B&Q!

Quite so! I picked up the B&Q from one of the replies.
Since the shop was presumably not in the sole charge of the said

youf, the
OP could have asked for a more experienced assistant?

More to the point, if the OP *had* gone to B&Q he would most likely
have been able to source his dove-tail jig without hindrance! My
local B&Q has a whole pile of them on the shelf....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Neither could Shakespeare. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "HLAH" contains these words:

You might as well have asked him for a
reticulating retaining plunger,

Does that go straight into the parping couplet?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

If you used your spellchecker, nobody would know you couldn't spell.

If yew used yore spell chequer, nobody wood no you couldn't spell.

Hmmm, perhaps not. Language skills aren't as simple as that.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:45:16 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

Your point is valid; but it wasn't a B&Q!

Quite so! I picked up the B&Q from one of the replies.
Since the shop was presumably not in the sole charge of the said
youf, the OP could have asked for a more experienced assistant?

More to the point, if the OP *had* gone to B&Q he would most likely
have been able to source his dove-tail jig without hindrance! My
local B&Q has a whole pile of them on the shelf....

Probably because I was looking for the cheapest.

I've never ever stepped foot in a B&Q store,because of its overpriced
goods.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-24 21:55:58 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
said:

Jerry wrote:
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:45:16 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

Your point is valid; but it wasn't a B&Q!

Quite so! I picked up the B&Q from one of the replies.
Since the shop was presumably not in the sole charge of the said
youf, the OP could have asked for a more experienced assistant?

More to the point, if the OP *had* gone to B&Q he would most likely
have been able to source his dove-tail jig without hindrance! My
local B&Q has a whole pile of them on the shelf....

Probably because I was looking for the cheapest.

Did you not connect this with not getting the service you were hoping
for?

How much time did you spend doing all this? What did that cost?

A day. £2.20p thats the beauty of a saveaway bus ticket you can travel all
day from 9:30 to 4.00 till 6:00 and right up to 12 midnight after 6:00.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-24 21:55:58 +0100, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
said:

Jerry wrote:
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

Forgot to say I managed to find one for twenty quid in a cash converters
shop.
This type...
http://tinyurl.com/eonvf

--