Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper Pipe Chased Up Wall

Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but
only need about half a metre!

I have bought a metre of plastic pipe to go over the copper but it
doesn't bend.

Is there another way to stop corrosion like putting ptfe tape on it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Is there another way to stop corrosion like putting ptfe tape on it?

I am sure there is, I don't know much about such things, but I did just
have a thought on the matter, how about using a bit of rubber hose? Say
a bit of your garden hose pipe that your water company is most likely
telling you not to use anyway.

//J
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but only
need about half a metre!

I have bought a metre of plastic pipe to go over the copper but it doesn't
bend.

Is there another way to stop corrosion like putting ptfe tape on it?

Buy some black ribbed hose as used for garden ponds e.g

http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/...HOSE__231.html

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but
only need about half a metre!

I have bought a metre of plastic pipe to go over the copper but it
doesn't bend.

Is there another way to stop corrosion like putting ptfe tape on it?

The correct product to use is Denso tape:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=denso

PTFE tape is non-adhesive, and very soft. It would be quite tricky to
wrap half a metre of pipe in PTFE tape.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Grunff wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail.

//snip//

The correct product to use is Denso tape:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=denso

Yes, but the link leads to standard Denso tapes which is good only to
55deg C. Desno makers specify Denso Hotline above 55deg but is much
less rreadily available.
Manufacturers state that above 55deg, std tape petroleum products in
the tape will leech into the plaster. Maybe for a short length, you
could try using std, but cover it in something like Duck tape??

Be aware that denso tape is messy stucky stuff & leaves you hands
covered in brown gunge (unless you wear gloves of course).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but only
need about half a metre!

I have bought a metre of plastic pipe to go over the copper but it
doesn't bend.

Is there another way to stop corrosion like putting ptfe tape on it?

The correct product to use is Denso tape:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=denso

PTFE tape is non-adhesive, and very soft. It would be quite tricky to wrap
half a metre of pipe in PTFE tape.

Perhaps he meant PVC tape.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Hemmings writes:
Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but
only need about half a metre!

I have bought a metre of plastic pipe to go over the copper but it
doesn't bend.

I used 20mm plastic electrical conduit which is a good fit for
15mm copper tube. One sleaved inside the other bends nicely using
the 22mm former on a pipe bender. You might get away with a
15mm bending spring too inside the copper. Electrical conduit
is designed to bend.

Is there another way to stop corrosion like putting ptfe tape on it?

Plaster does not corrode copper. Some types of cement do if
moisture is present. Moisture can result from condensation if
the pipe is a cold water pipe, but this is unlikely with a
heating pipe. Expansion/contraction of the pipe will be an
issue, which is why sleaving it is a good idea (and it should
remain movable inside the sleaving).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but
only need about half a metre!

I have bought a metre of plastic pipe to go over the copper but it
doesn't bend.

Is there another way to stop corrosion like putting ptfe tape on it?

Large diameter sleaving for vehicle wiring looms? Vehicle Wiring
Products sells such stuff.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but
only need about half a metre!

Why not change it to HEP2O before it goes into the wall? .....just a
thought

[or put it into 20mm plastic conduit and then bend it]

or heat shrink sleeving, or self amalgamating tape
Somebody will pick faults with all of these, i suppose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumpy owd man wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Hi,

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but
only need about half a metre!

Why not change it to HEP2O before it goes into the wall? .....just a
thought

[or put it into 20mm plastic conduit and then bend it]

or heat shrink sleeving, or self amalgamating tape
Somebody will pick faults with all of these, i suppose.

I did in fact mean ptfe tape but realize it's a non-starter.

I think it will either be the heat shrink or pond pipe as they seem the
most "bendable", I don't like messy denso tape even though this is the
preferred method.

Thanks for your time and advice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Hemmings wrote:
Grumpy owd man wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

Peter Hemmings wrote:

I am about to chase a small length of 15mm copper pipe up a wall for a
towel rail. I know I can but pipe specially coated for this job but
only need about half a metre!

I think it will either be the heat shrink or pond pipe as they seem the
most "bendable", I don't like messy denso tape even though this is the
preferred method.

Sleeving keeps a gap between copper and plaster, enabling differential
thermal expansion, and any junk can do that. Theres no need to go buy
stuff. If youre buying for a job then sure, but if you just want to get
the job finished and its miles to town, its quicker to wrap a short bit
of the pipe with card & cling film than travel to town.

NT