Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
lens

Default Dayton 15" vert. bandsaw. Does anyone have one? Oil or Grease in gearbox?

I bought a Dayton bandsaw off Craiglist that looks a lot (but not
exactly) like this:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...6936&cc item=

The saw in the link is a 15" welded-frame 4 speed saw. I think it is a
somewhat generic because it looks like a similar Palmgren and Woodtek
15" saw. The saw I got is indentical looking, but has only 3 speeds:
80/150/200 FPM. It does not have a "wood" 3000FPM speed like the Dayton
6Y002. Mine is a model 6Y002B and has a gearbox with a nipple on top.
The gearbox provides only a fixed reduction so speed changes are still
by shifting a belt on a 3-step pulley. Does anyone know if the gearbox
takes grease or oil? I'm also curious how the 4-speed 6Y002 handles
3000FPM. Does it use only belts and no gear box?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

I have a strong hunch that the catalog has a typo and that the unit in
question merely has a 4 step pulley. A call to your friendly local
Grainger rep would confirm that. They are also pretty good about getting
you a real owners manual.