Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Sear geometry on pistol

I have a Springfield XD-9 that I just can't stand the trigger anymore! It
is long, jerky, sticky and muddy. I refuse to pay the $85 for a trigger job
and will do something myself. I have noticed that there is a slight angle
difference between the striker and the sear so that the release isn't even,
I would guess at about 2 degrees. I confirmed this with bluing. I
carefully stoned the top of the striker that engages the sear until the
angle was gone and the trigger was MUCH better. I would prefer not to ruin
the striker or sear and would be WAY too embarrasses to buy new ones from
Springfield, they will know I'm an a-hole and I'm trying to disguise that
fact.

1. Anybody know XD-9's?
2. What else should I do, I've done many small gunsmith jobs but I have no
experience with strikers.

My groups are 2" high by 6" wide, what does that tell you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

It took me a long time to just sheepishly admit that I'd screwed things
up and could someone please fix/replace/sell me spare parts. If you
take responsibility no one will think you're an a-hole.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:17:06 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

[...]

You are heeling the weapon. Proper trigger finger position, but you
are anticipating the shot and are clenching to fight the recoil.

That would be my off hand guess. Or the barrel is not locking up the
same way every time.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MK1

Why would they think you are an a-hole.The only way to know which is a
better set up is to try more than one.But if the parts were cass
hardened ,one part is going to eat the other.Now that the top .005 of
hardened surface is gone.

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

I have a Springfield XD-9 that I just can't stand the trigger anymore! It
is long, jerky, sticky and muddy. I refuse to pay the $85 for a trigger job
and will do something myself. I have noticed that there is a slight angle
difference between the striker and the sear so that the release isn't even,
I would guess at about 2 degrees. I confirmed this with bluing. I
carefully stoned the top of the striker that engages the sear until the
angle was gone and the trigger was MUCH better. I would prefer not to ruin
the striker or sear and would be WAY too embarrasses to buy new ones from
Springfield, they will know I'm an a-hole and I'm trying to disguise that
fact.

The only a-hole is one that is unwilling to be wrong once, accept
guidance and be right (about that) thereafter.

How do you like the XD-9 other than the trigger problem, pray tell?
That one is on my short list if I actually get a handgun. It fits my
hand, I like its simplicity of design and the layout of the safeties
is familiar to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

It took me a long time to just sheepishly admit that I'd screwed things
up and could someone please fix/replace/sell me spare parts. If you take
responsibility no one will think you're an a-hole.

I haven't screwed the SEAR up yet but it's still too late otherwise!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

You are heeling the weapon. Proper trigger finger position, but you
are anticipating the shot and are clenching to fight the recoil.

That would be my off hand guess. Or the barrel is not locking up the
same way every time.

Gunner

Battery is fine, it's that damn trigger! It moves in fits and starts and I
can see the front sight waver side to side as the pressure on the trigger
pulses...worst I've ever seen!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"MK1" wrote in message
Why would they think you are an a-hole.The only way to know which is a
better set up is to try more than one.But if the parts were cass hardened
,one part is going to eat the other.Now that the top .005 of hardened
surface is gone.

EVERYBODY thinks that, ask around.

I'd say the striker at least is through hard, A file won't touch it even
where I dressed it. I didn't remove the finish from the sear, it looked ok.
I just burnished the micro burrs off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

The only a-hole is one that is unwilling to be wrong once, accept
guidance and be right (about that) thereafter.

How do you like the XD-9 other than the trigger problem, pray tell?
That one is on my short list if I actually get a handgun. It fits my
hand, I like its simplicity of design and the layout of the safeties
is familiar to me.

My last new pistol was a loaded Springfield 1911. That thing is sweet and
the trigger is like a breaking glass rod. It's like a brand-new pick-up
truck. The XD is like a brand-new Lexus! The engineering and technology is
a marvel and it feels and handles like an extension of your mind...then you
squeeze the trigger. Springfield offers three levels of trigger work, what
does that say? The pistols true potential for target is hampered by the
stock grunt trigger. The only other stock trigger I have is on a Ruger Gov.
Mk-II .22, Ruger sure got that one right, it's a surprise when it fires. I
think my XD is on the outside end of factory specs, I'm just not good enough
to compensate for it. Somebody like Gunner could probably half my group
size with the first magazine.

I bought it because it's cheap to shoot and I read everything I could find.
I had some idea that the trigger was not great before I got it but I figured
I'd run it stock for a thousand rounds before I did anything. Not one jam,
takes 7 seconds to field strip it, cleans easily, more recoil than my .45
though. It's a shooter's pistol and a work of CNC art! You'll LOVE
it...might have to tune the trigger though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 03:59:08 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

You are heeling the weapon. Proper trigger finger position, but you
are anticipating the shot and are clenching to fight the recoil.

That would be my off hand guess. Or the barrel is not locking up the
same way every time.

Gunner

Battery is fine, it's that damn trigger! It moves in fits and starts and I
can see the front sight waver side to side as the pressure on the trigger
pulses...worst I've ever seen!

Then why is the group 2" wide? G

Its that 6" deep part that needs looking at.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

You are heeling the weapon. Proper trigger finger position, but you
are anticipating the shot and are clenching to fight the recoil.

That would be my off hand guess. Or the barrel is not locking up the
same way every time.

Gunner

Battery is fine, it's that damn trigger! It moves in fits and starts and I
can see the front sight waver side to side as the pressure on the trigger
pulses...worst I've ever seen!

Then why is the group 2" wide? G

Its that 6" deep part that needs looking at.

Gunner

Btw Tom...Springfield has a pretty decent warranty department..and Id
consider this to be a warranty issue. Get an RMA, stick it in a box,
and send it back to them.

I sent back a P9C..8 yrs after buying it..when the lever broke off the
thumb safety. Came back nice and slicked up, new style lever and with
a trigger job.

Just a heads up.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Don't forget to polish all the pins and lap all the holes the pins go in.
I've made new pins that fit snug in polished holes that really improve some
of my pistols. After you polish the holes you will be amazed at the slop of
some of those critical parts.
If it's a self defense gun leave it sloppy, don't want anything jamming up a
mag load of kick ass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Then why is the group 2" wide? G

Its that 6" deep part that needs looking at.

Gunner

"Earth to Gunner, Earth to Gunner"....The group is 2" high by 6" wide!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 16:47:58 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Then why is the group 2" wide? G

Its that 6" deep part that needs looking at.

Gunner

"Earth to Gunner, Earth to Gunner"....The group is 2" high by 6" wide!

oooops...my bad... ayup..trigger

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White

wrote:

Then why is the group 2" wide? G

Its that 6" deep part that needs looking at.

Gunner

"Earth to Gunner, Earth to Gunner"....The group is 2" high by 6" wide!

oooops...my bad... ayup..trigger

Actually, poor trigger control (brought about by a poor trigger or lack
of practice/training) will usually spread shots down around 7:00 for a
right handed shooter. Right to left spread is usually the result of grip
variations. Shots to the left come from squeezing with the finger tips
as the shot is breaking, and shots to the right are frequently caused by
thumb pressure. People tend to squeeze the trigger as if they were
gripping something between the thumb and forefinger, and this will spread
things sideways. Another possibility is that the trigger finger is too
far or too close to the trigger, so that the trigger squeeze isn't
straight to the rear. Having a rough trigger mechanism could exagerate
this effect.

Other than dry firing, the best diagnostic tool is a "ball & dummy"
exercise where you have a friend mix up live & dummy ammo in the
magazine. If you are anticipating, flinching or grabbing at the pistol
in any way, it will show up when you think the pistol is going to go bang
& it doesn't.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 04:29:59 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that input, Tom. Of a couple dozen models I casually
looked at a while ago, that one jumped out of the pack for me. I
liked it's rep for reliability, it's simplicity, ease of field
stripping, and it just felt "right" in my hand -- a natural extension
as you also noted. It was the only one that struck me that way.
The arrangement of safeties was also familiar to me, a plus.

More recoil than a .45 is a negative, but might be OK if it fits
well. The Army .45 did not fit me well, I hated that damned thing. It
was my assigned weapon, but I glommed a rifle ASAP. I could use
a rifle effectively. Nobody on our side ever objected.

My measure of recoil is just how quickly I (we) can recover to fire
another round accurately. Gentle Mary agreed today that we should
look at one more than casually, as in go to a knowledgable dealer
where we can try it "live" on his range. We also agreed that if it
needs a trigger job to be right then it'll get a trigger job if it
feels right in all other regards. Trigger's gotta be right for the
piece to be right.