Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JensenC

Default Garage heat with a 9.6 kW electric heater

What I am looking for is some feedback on safety and such.

Consider using a timer in addition to a thermostat. Timers make me feel
more comfortable about forgetting it's on and leaving the house, which
happens more frequently than I like.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:45:20 GMT, Ignoramus24987
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:16:22 -0700, JensenC farview wrote:

What I am looking for is some feedback on safety and such.

Consider using a timer in addition to a thermostat. Timers make me feel
more comfortable about forgetting it's on and leaving the house, which
happens more frequently than I like.

I love this idea. What I would like is find a timer such as the one
found on my food steamer. I would turn it on for up to about 40
minutes, it closes the contact and ticks until the preset time runs
out. I believe that it is mechanical. Would you happen to know how
such timers are called?

Any idea how long it may take for this heater to warm up the garage
by, say, 30 degrees F? 20x20x9 ft garage, 9.6 kW heat output.

thanks

Depends a lot on whether or not the garage is insulated, and if so how
well. Also depends on whether or not the garage has any "warm walls"
as in an attached garage, or particularly a "warm ceiling" as in a
tuck-under. 32,760 BTU/hr is plenty for a well-insulated 20 x 20
space, won't do much in an uninsulated drafty space.

It might take 10 to 20 minutes to warm the air in a well-insulated
space -- but large masses of metal (lathe, mill, welder) can take
hours. Welders don't care, but machine tools can be pretty stiff
until they're warmed up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JensenC

I love this idea. What I would like is find a timer such as the one
found on my food steamer. I would turn it on for up to about 40
minutes, it closes the contact and ticks until the preset time runs
out. I believe that it is mechanical. Would you happen to know how
such timers are called?

Perhaps just scrounge one from an electric clothes dryer - you can often
find dryers free for the taking.