Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default twisted power cord

I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around a pole
for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it, the cord would
not comply (which is not surprising since it has been wrapped around this
pole for years). My question is, how do I get the cord to un-twist and if
that is even possible, can I still use it?

I hope this is the right newsgroup to post this too. If not, please give me
advise on where this posting might go.

Thanks for any help!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TimPerry

wrote in message
I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around a

pole
for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it, the cord

would
not comply (which is not surprising since it has been wrapped around this
pole for years). My question is, how do I get the cord to un-twist and if
that is even possible, can I still use it?

I hope this is the right newsgroup to post this too. If not, please give

me
advise on where this posting might go.

Thanks for any help!!

maybe a little heat gun or even hair drier might soften thing up a little.
don't over do it though. if the cord is damaged consider writing it off and
throwing it away.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
buffalobill

insulation is damaged. buy a replacement.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around a
pole for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it, the
cord would not comply (which is not surprising since it has been wrapped
around this pole for years). My question is, how do I get the cord to
un-twist and if that is even possible, can I still use it?

You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an inductor
and heats up. Hence the warning on drum extension leads about always
extending them fully. Sounds like you've used it at high current (for that
cable gauge) and melted the insulation enough for it to re-form to that
shape.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

" bravely wrote to "All" (29 Nov 05 23:36:10)
--- on the heady topic of "twisted power cord"

bo Subject: twisted power cord
bo Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:349905

bo I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around
bo a pole for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it,
bo the cord would not comply (which is not surprising since it has been
bo wrapped around this pole for years). My question is, how do I get the
bo cord to un-twist and if that is even possible, can I still use it?

bo I hope this is the right newsgroup to post this too. If not, please
bo give me advise on where this posting might go.

bo Thanks for any help!!

Heat it first with a gun or by dunking it in hot or boiling water...

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"Dave Plowman (News)" bravely wrote to "All" (30 Nov 05 10:08:06)
--- on the heady topic of " twisted power cord"

DP( From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
DP( Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:349940

DP( In article ,
DP( wrote:
I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around a
pole for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it, the
cord would not comply (which is not surprising since it has been wrapped
around this pole for years). My question is, how do I get the cord to
un-twist and if that is even possible, can I still use it?

DP( You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an
DP( inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Electrical Engineers do it with more frequency and less resistance.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Asimov wrote:
DP( You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an
DP( inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

I have no experience with this, but couldn't your reel be melted due to too
much current on too small of wire rather than being wound up?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Asimov wrote:

DP( You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an
DP( inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

A lot of times what happens is the coiled up cable can't dissipate heat
as it can if it's stretched out along the floor. The induction might
have some effect, but an air core inductor at 60Hz in series with a load
won't have much effect.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

If the cord cannot be flexible, then it is dried out, and is probably no
longer safe. It would be best to cut it off, and have the power cord in your
appliance completely replaced.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
I need some help. I got this power cord that has been twisted around a pole
for at least a couple of years. When I tried to un-twist it, the cord would
not comply (which is not surprising since it has been wrapped around this
pole for years). My question is, how do I get the cord to un-twist and if
that is even possible, can I still use it?

I hope this is the right newsgroup to post this too. If not, please give me
advise on where this posting might go.

Thanks for any help!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Michael Kennedy wrote:
It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

I have no experience with this, but couldn't your reel be melted due to
too much current on too small of wire rather than being wound up?

No.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

James Sweet writes:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Asimov wrote:

DP( You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an
DP( inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

A lot of times what happens is the coiled up cable can't dissipate
heat as it can if it's stretched out along the floor. The induction
might have some effect, but an air core inductor at 60Hz in series
with a load won't have much effect.

The inductance of a coiled AC line cord is the same as an uncoiled cord.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"Dave Plowman (News)" bravely wrote to "All" (01 Dec 05 01:17:51)
--- on the heady topic of " twisted power cord"

DP( From: "Dave Plowman (News)"
DP( Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350071

DP( In article ,
DP( Asimov wrote:
DP( You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an
DP( inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

DP( I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

Many of those use #18 AWG cable, not so surprising if melting occurs.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Power is obtained by current meeting resistance

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:47:52 GMT, James Sweet
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Asimov wrote:

DP( You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an
DP( inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?

I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

A lot of times what happens is the coiled up cable can't dissipate heat
as it can if it's stretched out along the floor. The induction might
have some effect, but an air core inductor at 60Hz in series with a load
won't have much effect.

Almost the same reason as why wet hay will start a fire.

Tom
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

On 01 Dec 2005 08:38:07 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
put finger to keyboard and composed:

James Sweet writes:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Asimov wrote:

DP( You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an
DP( inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?
I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

A lot of times what happens is the coiled up cable can't dissipate
heat as it can if it's stretched out along the floor. The induction
might have some effect, but an air core inductor at 60Hz in series
with a load won't have much effect.

The inductance of a coiled AC line cord is the same as an uncoiled cord.

Because the net current in the coil(s) is zero, and therefore the
magnetic field is zero?

-- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

Franc Zabkar writes:

On 01 Dec 2005 08:38:07 -0500, Sam Goldwasser
put finger to keyboard and composed:

James Sweet writes:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Asimov wrote:

DP( You should never use a power cable when coiled - it acts like an
DP( inductor and heats up.

It's an old wives tale. Haven't you ever heard of a transmission line?
I've seen plenty of melted extension reel cables...

A lot of times what happens is the coiled up cable can't dissipate
heat as it can if it's stretched out along the floor. The induction
might have some effect, but an air core inductor at 60Hz in series
with a load won't have much effect.

The inductance of a coiled AC line cord is the same as an uncoiled cord.

Because the net current in the coil(s) is zero, and therefore the
magnetic field is zero?

Yep. Trace the current flow for a complete circuit and you'll see that
for every turn in one direction, there is one in the opposite direction.

-- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Caesar Valenti

Asimov wrote:

... Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

Is that the new politically correct way of memorizing the color code?
I grew up with the politically incorrect version.

Is this "official" or something you came up with?
cv
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

Default RCC Mnemonics

"Caesar Valenti" bravely wrote to "All" (01 Dec 05 21:24:45)
--- on the heady topic of " twisted power cord"

CV From: Caesar Valenti
CV Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350172

* Traditional & Picturesque Resistor Colour Code Mnemonics:
(warning: not for younger viewers)

From the UK:
Bye, Bye, Reggie. Off You Go - Birmingham Via Great Western.
B. B. ROY of Great Britain has a Very Good Wife.
Bad boys rape our young girls behind victory garden walls
Bad Boys Roast Our Young Geese Behind Victory Garden Walls
Goats can be the roastees, if prefered, and Vegetable Gardens may make
more sense to some.

Down under:
Big Barstards Root Our Young Girls But Virgins Go Without.
{Root is OZ slang for sex}

French version :
Ne Mangez Rien Ou Jeunez, Voila Bien Votre Grande Betise.

(courtesy a physics teacher 15 years ago)
Barbara Brown Runs Over Your Garden But Violet Grey Won't.

Bad boys rape our young girls but violet gives willingly for
silver and gold.

Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.

Bad Booze Rots Our Young Guts But Very Good Wiskey Goes Smooth.
^ ^
Gold Silver

Batman Booted Robin Off Yon Gotham Bridge. Very Good, Wayne! Get
Superman Next!

Batman Blows Robin On Yonder Gotham Bridge. Very good, Wayne;
Get Superman Next.
^ ^ ^
Gold Silver None

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly With Green
Stamps

U. of Minn. Society for Women Engineers:
By Becoming Revolutionary Orators, Young Girls Become Very Great Women,

Rumour has it folks over at Texas Agricultural and Mechanical University
use this mnemonic:
Big, Bulls, Romp, On, Your, Goats, By, Pigs, Going, Wild

Better Build Roof Over Your Garage Before Van Gets Wet
Hey! Its Non sexist, non racist, non violent!!! and hopefully
wont offend van owners!!

Big Bird Runs On Your Garden But Vegetables Grow Wonderfully
Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well
Bad Booze Rots Our Young Guts But Very Good Wiskey Goes Smooth
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Virgins Go Without
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Virgins Give Wild Sex Gratefully
Batman Blow Robin On Yonder Gotham Bridge. Very Gooey Work.
Buff Babes Rip Off Your Genitals But Very Genuinely Weep
Buff Butches Reamed One Young Guy, Buggered Violently, Watchit.
"Black Beetles Running On Your Grass Bring Very Good Weather"
"Betty Brown runs over your garden but Violet Gray walks".
Because Boys Run Over Your Garden, Be Violent, Get Western Shot Guns
Boiled Bufallo Ribs Or Yak Gizzards Beat Vapid Gazelle Wienies.
Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well. Guzzle Some Now!
Big Brown Rabbits Often Yield Great Big Vocal Groans When Gingerly Slapped
Blackie Brown rapes our young girls but violet gives willingly.
Bad Betty runs over your garden but Violet Gray won't.
"Billy Brown Revives On Your Gin, But Values Good Whisky."
Blackberry Brandy Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well.
Black Beetles Running On Your Garden Bring Very Good Weather
Better Buy Resistors Or Your Grid Bias Voltages Go West
Better Be Ready, Or Your Great Big Venture Goes West.
(goes west = fails, dies)

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Dunno if we'll get that past the CSA und UL 'owever.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:11:06 GMT, Asimov wrote a *LOT* of
Color Code Memory Phrases:

-snip-

Jeez! You need a hobby! :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"Allodoxaphobia" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Dec 05 18:04:46)
--- on the heady topic of " RCC Mnemonics"

Al From: Allodoxaphobia
Al Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350199

Al On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:11:06 GMT, Asimov wrote a *LOT* of
Al Color Code Memory Phrases:

Al -snip-

Al Jeez! You need a hobby! :-)

I didn't write them...
I only collected them here from folk just like you. ;-)

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... 'Keep the smoke inside.' -- 1st Rule of Electronics.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"kip" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Dec 05 13:07:01)
--- on the heady topic of " RCC Mnemonics"

ki Reply-To: "kip"
ki Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350200

ki Not to mention a Life..

Way to go, why not shoot the messenger...
It's the folk who came up with these things that needed a life geez!
Imagine the amount of man-hours wasted thinking these things up?!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... The penalty for violating Ohm's Law is electrocution.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:01:03 GMT, Asimov wrote:
"Allodoxaphobia" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Dec 05 18:04:46)
--- on the heady topic of " RCC Mnemonics"

Al From: Allodoxaphobia
Al Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350199

Al On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 17:11:06 GMT, Asimov wrote a *LOT* of
Al Color Code Memory Phrases:

Al -snip-

Al Jeez! You need a hobby! :-)

I didn't write them...
I only collected them here from folk just like you. ;-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

_That_ , sir , is a hobby. :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

"kip" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Dec 05 16:33:32)
--- on the heady topic of " RCC Mnemonics"

ki From: "kip"
ki Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:350210

ki Today The messenger gets SH1T..
ki He !! He !!
ki ki

Ha! A wannabe heckler... :-P ...pfffft!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Your E-Mail has been returned due to insufficient voltage.

retrofitting an ATX psupply into a microATX psupply box - won't power dave Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 05 03:23 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
need help tracing power circuit on laptop railroadrum Electronics Repair 7 April 16th 04 09:02 PM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM