R.H.

Default What is it? LXXXIV

Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

484 Looks like an old organ pipe to me.
485 Caliper of some type.
486 Reminds me of a fish or frog spear minus the handle.
487 ?
488 ?
489 Very early washing machine.

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Jonathan Wilson

485 looks like its for measuring something. Is it a body fat measuring tool?
is 489 for churning or mixing something up?
mj

Most of them look like medieval torchure sp? devices to me.
MJ

I believe 485 is some kind of adjustable scaling device that allows
someone to draw something to scale with actual measurements.

Jeff Wisnia

R.H. wrote:
Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

487 I'll make a WAG this devicce has something to do with rolling up
newspapers and maybe binding them with wire so they can be burned like
"logs" in a fireplace?

489 Butter churn?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

humunculus

No one has picked up on the Abacus (#488)?

--humunculus

humunculus

#487: Why, that would be a gen-u-ine 1870's model cast iron Grey
Brother's Patented Hand Held Corn Sheller, without the leather
handstraps, maw.

--humunculus

Mark and Kim Smith

R.H. wrote:

Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking.

#485 is for measuring the thickness of material on brake pads or shoes.
You can even measure rivet thickness then the depth of material over the
rivet.
Barbara Bailey

#488 looks like the beads on a nice abacus. Or something else...

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:23:56 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

484 Doorbell

(yes, I know what it used to be too. I have two of these as part of my
aeolian-hydraulic doorbell project. A bucketful of water flushes down
into a sealed air chamber and plays notes on each in turn. When I have
it finished and tidy I'll post pictures)

486 Eel spear

Worth serious cash these days - watch out for modern forgeries (yes,
really - there's a market in faked fish-hooks)

487 Dr Foster's Patent Anti-******

488 Abacus beads ?

489 Ice cream maker

There should be a wooden inner bucket too, traditionally applewood.
Cream goes in the middle and is churned. Ice and salt mixture goes
outside the wooden bucket and inside the metal bucket.

Leo Lichtman

484 Organ pipe
485 Thickness caliper of some sort. However, what I don't get is why there
are notches on the ends of the handles, as though it's meant to closed by as
rubber band.
486 Gaffing hook (?)
488 A miniature or novelty abaccus. Sometimes these are used as belt
buckles or paper weights.
489 Washing machine conversion of a metal pail.

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

484: Some sort of sampling instrument

485: Wire gauge caliper

486: Gardening tool

487: Torture device

488: Foosball arms

489: Churn

DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

484) A wood "pipe" from an organ. Obviously this one produces
the note of "A", though I'm not certain in which octave. I
think that is is a fairly high one, given the size of the stem.

The "handle" at the top moves a felt-covered square wooden plug
to fine tune the pitch.

I used to have a few of them, from when the organ at the chapel
at school was replaced.

I don't remember the metal bit at the bottom of the stem,
however.

485) A thickness gauge. Probably for some specific trade, but
I'm not sure which trade. I can't easily make out the markings
on the scale, or the word in the box under the pointer, but I
suspect that it indicates a "good" range.

486) Nasty looking thing. It is obviously designed to go on the end
of a long pole.

At a guess, it may be for pulling the strip of blubber off a
whale as knives on other long poles cut it free.

487) It looks as though it is intended to splice two objects
together. The fingers on the inside grip the two objects, and
the two notches perhaps serve for a winding to pull the two
sides together, prior to winding around the whole length.

488) Some of the counting beads on either an Abacus or a Soroban.
I can't tell which, because you only show four of them. A
soroban would have only four in the lower section (worth one
each) and one in the upper section (worth five each). An abacus
would have five in the lower section, and two in the upper one,
allowing acumulation before carry. Both were simple
adding/subtracting machines.

489) I *think* that this was meant to attach to a wooden bucket, not
the galvanized steel one shown.

It could either be a butter churn of an interesting design, or
an ice cream maker (with a secondary bucket full of ice. If a
butter churn, I would expect a leadscrew turned by the central
gear to run a plunger up and down. If an ice-cream maker, I
would expect it to turn paddles instead.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
William Wixon

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

originally i assumed this was a guessing game, where anyone who wanted to
participate could send in their guesses as to what the objects were, and it
was fun, a brain teaser, then i started to wonder if this was actually
something where the only acceptable responses were if you ACTUALLY KNEW what
the objects were, now i'm back to thinking it's just a fun guessing game,
but of course it's better if you KNOW what they are. it is fun to see these
weird objects and try, from a photo, to guess what it may have been used
for, also fun to make an ass of yourself with an incorrect guess, and fun to
see others that make an incorrect guess too. there have been a few weeks
where i'd puzzle over the picture for tens of minutes and wonder about it
during the course of my daily life.

484. originally i also thought it was a pipe from a pipe organ, but when
someone guessed something for sampling i started to wonder if perhaps that
may be what it is, because a few weeks ago there was a long thin grain
sampler. huh. curious that it has a metallic tip, seems like it may have
been built that way to prevent abrasion of the tip, used for plunging into
something to sample it? with that german sounding name makes me wonder if
it has something to do with BEER.

485. huh. hinged in such a way that it opens (instead of closes) when
pressure is applied to the handles. and spring loaded so it opens back up
on it's own. i have no clue. and why does it have those little grippies on
the handles?

486. it does look like some sort of fishing harpoon. weird though that
center tang huh? looks like it would perforate the poor little fishy so
badly he'd be cut in half.

487. my first thought was a hand held corn cob kernel remover, but... that
seems like a awful lot of work to make such a thing out of cast iron.

488. THAT looks like an abacus.

489. first thought was an ice cream maker but second thought, i'd agree with
another poster, old fashioned washing machine. that's funny huh? an
oscillating motion instead of a rotary motion on the handle.

last weeks' was fun. the falconry hood was a brain tickler. i got the
bowling pin but the shaving cream dispenser was driving me nuts. i thought
it was an OLD car horn (for some reason the sound came out both ends). the
ice pike didn't surprise me (there used to be a thriving ice harvesting
industry near me here in kingston ny, supplied ice to nyc in the old days)

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:23:56 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Some WAGS (Wild-something guesses)

#484: Wooden calliope pipe
#485: Appears to be some type of snap-ring pliers
#486: Dunno, looks dangerous though
#487: No clue
#488: No clue
#489: Old laundry handwash agitator

woodworker88

488. An Abacus?

Mark and Kim Smith

#485, the modern version: http://www.kd-tools.com/2324.htm
humunculus

487) It looks as though it is intended to splice two objects
together. The fingers on the inside grip the two objects, and
the two notches perhaps serve for a winding to pull the two
sides together, prior to winding around the whole length. \

No, really. Its an antique corn sheller.

--riverman

erik litchy

486. backscratcher

R.H.

I thought that I had a couple of difficult ones this week, but they've all
been answered correctly:

484. Organ pipe

485. Brake safety gage

486. Eel spear

487. Corn sheller

488. Soroban abacus

489. Clothes washing machine

Two new photos and a few links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan87ul.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

[...]

I agree that it's more fun when people post wild guesses, or even not so
wild ones, it would be a lot less interesting if only correct answers were
posted.

Rob

Gary Brady

R.H. wrote:
Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

488. Looks like brass abacus parts

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

RCM
Norman D. Crow

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
I thought that I had a couple of difficult ones this week, but they've all
been answered correctly:

484. Organ pipe

485. Brake safety gage

486. Eel spear

487. Corn sheller

488. Soroban abacus

489. Clothes washing machine

Two new photos and a few links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan87ul.blogspot.com/

Rob

Just goes to prove we're a bunch of ANCIENT old farts here.

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

carl

489 is an ice cream freezer

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just added another set of photos:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
I thought that I had a couple of difficult ones this week, but they've all
been answered correctly:

[ ... ]

488. Soroban abacus

[ ... ]

Two new photos and a few links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan87ul.blogspot.com/

O.K. Looking at the overall photo, it is *only* a Soroban, not
an abacus. There are too few beads on each section for it to be an
abacus.

And -- in either case, the photo shows it upside down. The
single bead (Soroban) or double (Abacus) should be on the top. These
have the higher value, so convention has them in the upper zone.

And I have one of each (Neither nice metal construction like
yours, but I've had the Soroban since about 1962 or so, and the Abacus
since perhaps about 1990-1995. (The latter was picked up at a hamfest,
while the former from my parent's trip to Japan, so I have the better
feel for the date of acquisition for the former.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
R.H.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to R.H. :
[...]

Thanks, good thing that you're here to keep an eye on me.

Rob