Ken Sterling

Default Anybody familiar with "jet pumps"?

Gang,
Neighbor has a Wayne Model SWS50 1/2HP jet pump which quit pumping. It
is used for cistern water. She has city water also, so no panic, but
I wanted to help out. Checked the pump and motor is running fine but
the inside of the pump is "growling" quite a bit and I am assuming the
impeller, etc., is shot. Pulled the pump and now have it in my
garage. Picture and parts list can be seen at:
http://www.waynepumps.com/manuals/340103_001_105.pdf
My problem is:
I have removed the 4 bolts which "should" hold the motor and impeller
stuff inside the casting for the pump, but I cannot get the motor and
impeller to come out of the housing of the pump. I admit, it's pretty
gunked up in there and maybe the crud is just keeping it from being
removed, but I've been wiggling, prying, etc., and don't seem to be
making any progress. Haven't tried tapping/beating/smashing anything
as of yet G and hope I don't have to. There is no access to any
internal parts through the water inlet or outlets or anywhere else,
just the four bolts that hold it together. Anyone with experience
that could help, suggest??? The four bolts are item #2 on the drawing
and item #3 is called a seal plate. It may be the seal plate which is
"frozen" into place but the motor won't pull back far enough to allow
me to do much of anything in the end of the housing. The nozzle (#11)
in the print may stick into the housing far enough that a rod inserted
through a 1/4" pipe plug hole at #14 may allow me to tap it back out
of the housing, but I probably would ruin the nozzle in the process.
Ideas would be appreciated....
Ken.

Nick Hull

In article ,
Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

Gang,
Neighbor has a Wayne Model SWS50 1/2HP jet pump which quit pumping. It
is used for cistern water. She has city water also, so no panic, but
I wanted to help out. Checked the pump and motor is running fine but
the inside of the pump is "growling" quite a bit and I am assuming the
impeller, etc., is shot.

Are you sure the pump just didn't lose it's prime and is running dry?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Bugs

Sounds like the pump bowl is pretty well jammed with sediment. The
cover is normally a pretty close fit slipping over the impeller. Built
up encrustation can make it difficult to take apart.
I'd recommend a new impeller and seal kit. You can dissolve a lot of
the crud by dipping the pump end [not the motor] in a solution of 10%
hydrochloric acid after loosening the cover so the acid can get inside.
Good luck, Bugs

Xenophon

Ken Sterling wrote:
[...]

Part #3 is your problem with getting it apart. The seal plate is to
keep water away from the motor, so it has to be water tight. To achieve
this it is press fit onto the shaft and uses a sealed bearing. So to
get them apart try to put the screws back in about 3 or 4 turns and tap
them making sure to cross the motor with each strike. How hard you have
to hit depends on how much crap is in there and what the seal plate is
pressfit to(it's in tons usually). So I'm sorry to tell you you're
going to have to beat it out. But you should also open up all those
plugs in there to make sure some air cna get in there and make the job
easier.
Ken Sterling

Ken Sterling wrote:
[...]

Yup - seal plate was hanging me up. Finally got it all apart - pieces
look fine but everything really needed a good cleaning. I replaced
the noisy bearing on the pump end of the motor shaft as it was "rough"
and I had it apart anyway. Thanks for the responses. I now have it
all cleaned up, and reassembled and probably will be re-installing it
over the weekend. 'Preciate the help.
Ken.

Xenophon

Ken Sterling wrote:
Ken Sterling wrote:

[...]

Glad to see my frustration of having to to do an electricians job helped
somebody. Had a critical system pump cavitating like you wouldn't
believe, we had no electricians around so I had to learn how to
disasseble and rebuild a pump in an afternoon. I work on electronics.
Motor controllers=yes; motors=okay; pumps=someone elses fricking job.
Of course one of the electricians came around the next day just after I
had put it back together (litterally set down torque wrench)and laughed
at how long it took me to do it boasting he could have done it in a
hour. He got a fat lip. Only because one of my guys took the torque
wrench off the table.

Air Conditioning Vacuum pumps? Long... [email protected] Woodturning 17 May 10th 05 03:21 PM
occasional reminder - faceplates and vacuum pumps Bill Rubenstein Woodturning 4 March 22nd 05 05:04 AM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
pumps Allan Adler Metalworking 2 December 24th 03 05:54 PM
vacuum pumps and inexpensive faceplates william_b_noble Woodturning 1 September 4th 03 09:43 PM