Grant Erwin

Default LED flashlights?

Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you recommend,
don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE
Richard J Kinch

Grant Erwin writes:

Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and
are reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one
you recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

I was in Beijing last week, where they were selling them with Maglite style
bodies for $5 or $8. Worth the trip.
Grant Erwin

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Grant Erwin writes:

Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and
are reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one
you recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

I was in Beijing last week, where they were selling them with Maglite style
bodies for $5 or $8. Worth the trip.

Helpful, Richard. :-)

GWE
Glenn Ashmore

Ain't necessarily "cheap" but I bought a $40 Coast LED Lenser V at Lowes 4
months ago. Beats the heck out of my mini Maglite. It will hurt your eyes
if you look at it. I have used it 10-15 minutes almost every day and it is
still on it's first set of AAAs.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you
recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE

MOP CAP

I have purchased two of the same type. One at the Hershey auto swap and
another at a local [SF Bay Area] flea market for $8. They take 3 AAA,
cells and are quite bright. 4'' long and 1 1/8'' in dia. and have eight
LEDs. I have other Mag styles that either take expensive batteries and
are heavy or are not as bright.

Chuck P.

Glenn Ashmore

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
news:310820051547306044%Pilgrim6nospam@mindspring. com...
I have purchased two of the same type. One at the Hershey auto swap and
another at a local [SF Bay Area] flea market for $8. They take 3 AAA,
cells and are quite bright. 4'' long and 1 1/8'' in dia. and have eight
LEDs. I have other Mag styles that either take expensive batteries and
are heavy or are not as bright.

I looked at some with multiple LEDs in the display before I picked this one.
They were a lot cheaper but this Coast was the only one that could burn my
eyeballs in the rather brightly lit store and it only has a single LED. I
have no idea what the technology is but it is good. It is 1" x 4.5" and
uses 3 AAAs.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Robin S.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

I looked at some with multiple LEDs in the display before I picked this
one. They were a lot cheaper but this Coast was the only one that could
burn my eyeballs in the rather brightly lit store and it only has a single
LED. I have no idea what the technology is but it is good. It is 1" x
4.5" and uses 3 AAAs.

How good are they for distance? Everyone at work has a mini-maglite and we
need them for their ability to shine on things perhaps 8-10 ft away (big
dies). Is the Coast capable of making a reasonable spot at that distance?

Regards,

Robin

Paul Amaranth

I have a couple of the Harbor Freight $19 jobs. If I remember
correctly, they take 3 D cells and have 8 or 12 LEDs. For the money
they work reasonably well.

Paul

Ray Field

Black and Decker shops have a credit card sized single LED flashlight for
$2.00, handy to keep in the pocket, and great around a campsite, not for
long (8 ft) distance.
Ray
"Paul Amaranth" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a couple of the Harbor Freight $19 jobs. If I remember
correctly, they take 3 D cells and have 8 or 12 LEDs. For the money
they work reasonably well.

Paul

Kevin Singleton

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

I looked at some with multiple LEDs in the display before I picked this
one. They were a lot cheaper but this Coast was the only one that could
burn my eyeballs in the rather brightly lit store and it only has a
single LED. I have no idea what the technology is but it is good. It is
1" x 4.5" and uses 3 AAAs.

How good are they for distance? Everyone at work has a mini-maglite and we
need them for their ability to shine on things perhaps 8-10 ft away (big
dies). Is the Coast capable of making a reasonable spot at that distance?

Regards,

Robin

I have one of these single-LED lights that was purchased at Lowe's, and it's
plenty bright over a fairly long distance. I was very impressed with the
amount of light produced for removing hooks from catfish mouths from 30 feet
away. It doesn't adjust to a spot, and the light is "colored", but it works
far better than I expected.

Kevin

Jerry Martes

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you
recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE

Grant

Don Foreman is so well informed on LED flashlights that I'd suspect his
experience and knowledge is worth wauting for him to 'fil you in' on
flashlights.
His depth of knowledge on the subject of LED flashlights is "world class".

I have learned alot from Don. With his guidance, I have built Luxeon LED
lights that illuminates a target 200 feet away.
It is quite possible to get a LED light that fits in your pocket and is
actually too bright for close up use. I own one.

I strongly recommend Aventrade for affordable LED flashlights
(www.aventrade.com)

Jerry

Ted Edwards

Grant Erwin wrote:
Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and
are reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one
you recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

I have a Princeton "Attitude" that was given to me two years ago. It
sees pretty constant use and is on its second set of 4 AAA cells. Its
configuration fits in a pants pocket so that it is hardly noticeable.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d... 1125536854097

Ted
Christopher Tidy

Grant Erwin wrote:
Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and
are reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one
you recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE

I don't know what your needs are, but personally I'm not a fan of LED
flashlights because I don't like their broad beam. If you want a nice,
tight beam, I don't think you can do better than a D-cell Maglite. I get
about 14 hours battery life from my 2-D Maglite, too. But LED
flashlights are small and handy to carry. My father has a little LED
head torch and loves it. Just depends what you want it for...

Chris

AL

The problem with my 2-D Maglites is that they are not bright enough. I
recently bought a Streamlight headlight with a single Luxeon LED and it is
far brighter than my Maglites.

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Grant Erwin wrote:
Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you
recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE

I don't know what your needs are, but personally I'm not a fan of LED
flashlights because I don't like their broad beam. If you want a nice,
tight beam, I don't think you can do better than a D-cell Maglite. I get
about 14 hours battery life from my 2-D Maglite, too. But LED flashlights
are small and handy to carry. My father has a little LED head torch and
loves it. Just depends what you want it for...

Chris

george

Have you checked out the offerings at C.Crane (ccrane.com)? Not only can
you get the Luxeon flashlight
mentioned by others but you can get LEDs in the form factor of common
flashlight bulbs so you can turn your
existing flashlight into a LED flashlight.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you
recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE

FredSmith

I know the one I bought from Walmart is not the greatest, but I like
it. It's a Brinkmann ($10 in sporting goods dept). It uses 2 AA's
and it is 1-3/8 diameter x 5 inches long, with a focusing lens that
throws a spot 48" diameter at 25 feet. It's quite bright to 25-30
feet and will light up something pretty well to maybe 50-75 feet. It
may not be the best, but I was pleased enough that I bought one for
each vehicle and gave one to my mom.

I'd also mention that 4-5 year old grandkids love to play with
flashlights and LED's are the perfect thing for them. You'll never
have to say "turn that off, you'll run the batteries down".

Regards,
FS

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:03:29 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you
recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

Glenn Ashmore

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

I looked at some with multiple LEDs in the display before I picked this
one. They were a lot cheaper but this Coast was the only one that could
burn my eyeballs in the rather brightly lit store and it only has a
single LED. I have no idea what the technology is but it is good. It is
1" x 4.5" and uses 3 AAAs.

How good are they for distance? Everyone at work has a mini-maglite and we
need them for their ability to shine on things perhaps 8-10 ft away (big
dies). Is the Coast capable of making a reasonable spot at that distance?

Regards,

I just tested it against my old MiniMag. The MiniMag has fresh Duracells.
The Coast still has it's original off brands. At 18' across a dark living
room the MiniMag on tight beam makes a beam about 18" in diameter. There is
no beam adjustment on the Coast but it makes beam about 8' in diameter that
is brighter even at the edges than the MiniMag and considerably brighter in
the middle 2'. With both shining on the same spot you can't even tell the
miniMag is on.

It does have a bluish tint rather than yellow which takes a little getting
used to.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Mike Fields

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you

recommend,
don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE

Hey Grant, check out the two pack of "wind up flashlights" over by
you at Costco $20 for the two pack, no batteries and they claim it
will run for up to 45 minutes on one "charge" (it has a handle you
crank to charge it up - I expect a super cap inside, but have not
taken mine apart yet ;-) Seems to me they were about half way down
the "automotive" aisle if I remember correctly.

mikey

Christopher Tidy

AL wrote:
The problem with my 2-D Maglites is that they are not bright enough. I
recently bought a Streamlight headlight with a single Luxeon LED and it is
far brighter than my Maglites.

Maybe at very close range, but I'd be surprised if they are brighter at
30-50 m. By the way, I'm talking about the newer Maglites with Krypton
bulbs.

Chris

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:55:07 -0700, the blithe spirit Grant Erwin
clearly indicated:

Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you recommend,
don't just dump out an URL.

Headlamp, pocket light, hand flashlight, large flashlight, search
light, spelunking light, or other, Grant?

Works well _for_what_?

Don likes the $2,576.28 HOMEMADE! type with the expensive LED assy.

I kinda like the idea of the $15 headlamp with both white and red LEDs
for night vision and general use but I haven't bought one yet.
Winchester Huntlight $10.99 (Hey, they're on sale!) at Bimart in the
Hardware section. 3 white LEDs and 2 reds for retaining your night
vision. These could be good for thwarting hot robberies/burglaries
as well as stealth nocturnal visits to the fridge.

I have a single white LED book light with a clamp, also. I used it
to find my way out to the shop last night when the wires to my
telephone pole broke at 7pm and the house went dark. The $15 Harbor
Fright fluor emergency light worked like a champ and allowed me to
read for several hours.

I used a $2 HF headlamp in the attic a few weeks ago when putting up
the new attic ventilator fan. An LED model would have worked as well
or better with the whiter light. I like the headlamps and use them a
lot more than regular flashlights for repair work on plumbing,
electrical work, and under vehicle work. My dozen flashlights, at
least one in each room of the house and shop, are seldom used any
more.

So, what are you looking for in a flashlight, Grant? There are so many
styles to choose from nowadays...

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---

Christopher Tidy

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I never did like mini flashlights of any brand much. If we're talking
about mini flashlights, I don't really have much to contribute to the
discussion, because I've never found one (LED or otherwise) which
satisfied me. But if you want a flashlight with a spot which'll light up
the whole damn town, buy a D-cell Maglite. Period. And if you want a
weapon to boot, go for the 6-D.

Chris

Christopher Tidy

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

satisfied me. But if you want a durable flashlight with a spot which'll
light up the whole damn town, buy a D-cell Maglite. Period. And if you
want a weapon to boot, go for the 6-D.

Chris

PS: I love my Maglite. You can probably tell :-).

Robin S.

I just tested it against my old MiniMag. The MiniMag has fresh Duracells.
The Coast still has it's original off brands. At 18' across a dark living
room the MiniMag on tight beam makes a beam about 18" in diameter. There
is no beam adjustment on the Coast but it makes beam about 8' in diameter
that is brighter even at the edges than the MiniMag and considerably
brighter in the middle 2'. With both shining on the same spot you can't
even tell the miniMag is on.

Glenn,

Thanks for the test, I appreciate your time. I think I'll have to go and
find one of these units. We're always running out of batteries in the tool
crib (cost consciousness on the part of the company I think) and this would
be great.

Do you have the exact model number of your unit? I'm just googling "Coast
LED Lenser V" and it seems to be coming up with all kinds of different
options.

Regards,

Robin

Al Dykes

In article N9sRe.226009$tt5.26194@edtnps90,
Ray Field wrote:
Black and Decker shops have a credit card sized single LED flashlight for
$2.00, handy to keep in the pocket, and great around a campsite, not for
long (8 ft) distance.
Ray
"Paul Amaranth" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a couple of the Harbor Freight $19 jobs. If I remember
correctly, they take 3 D cells and have 8 or 12 LEDs. For the money
they work reasonably well.

Paul

I have several of these;

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=267

It's now branded as Gerber or CMG Gerber.

I use them while working inside equipment, reading tiny serial #s,
etc. It's plenty bright for bench work. It's not quite as bright as
the "standard" two AA cell Maglight. It's built as solid as any
Maglight.

It's on a neck lanyard so when I crawl out from underneath something
I've still got it and I can just "drop it" without losing it. It runs
on a single AA and I can leave it on for 24 hours with minimal
dimming and I can leave it on for as long as I'm working on something.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Jerry Martes

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I like the Coast LED Lenser. I have one. It uses 3 AAA cells.
I also have a Cosmos 1 watt Luxeon pocketlight that is as bright as the
LED Lenser but is smaller smaller. It uses a CR123 cell.
I'd advise that you wait till Don Foreman replies to this thread before
you purchase a LED light.

Jerry

Glenn Ashmore

It just says Coaster LED Lenser V2 and doing a quick Google I see what you
mean. This is the only one I found that looks like mine
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandspl...6-ccc7736.html
But I paid right at $40 at Lowes. It was on a rack with a bunch of other
LED flashlights near the check out. Wish I could tell you more but the
blister pack is long gone.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Robin S.

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
" I use them while working inside equipment"

"It's on a neck lanyard"

I hope you're not a millwright, whatever the hell that is...

;-)

Regards,

Robin

Glenn Ashmore

I definitely wouldn't trade in my 3 D cell Krypton Maglight. You just beat
it for distance. I keep it in my glove box but it is a club. My little
high power LED sits in a pouch with my multitool and gets used a heck of a
lot more than the big Maglight. I loved my MiniMag too. For years it
helped recover router collets from the Twilight Zone and guided me back to
the boat after to many bushwhackers but tonight making the test was the
first time I have turned it on since I got the Coast LED.

Convenience regularly outweighs size. I have a peg board in the shop with
every size and shape pliers made from big Vice Grips and Channellocks to
tiny needle noses but the first tool I reach for is my Leatherman. It is
the same with flashlights. If it is on your belt you are going to use it.

--

AL wrote:
The problem with my 2-D Maglites is that they are not bright enough. I
recently bought a Streamlight headlight with a single Luxeon LED and it
is far brighter than my Maglites.

Maybe at very close range, but I'd be surprised if they are brighter at
30-50 m. By the way, I'm talking about the newer Maglites with Krypton
bulbs.

Chris

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Paul Amaranth" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a couple of the Harbor Freight $19 jobs. If I remember
correctly, they take 3 D cells and have 8 or 12 LEDs. For the money
they work reasonably well.

Paul

They have 15 LED's, Paul, and I agree. We have one and it works well. So
well, I can say with total honesty I've never had a flashlight I've been so
pleased to own, including a Maglite.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

AL wrote:
The problem with my 2-D Maglites is that they are not bright enough. I
recently bought a Streamlight headlight with a single Luxeon LED and it

is
far brighter than my Maglites.

Maybe at very close range, but I'd be surprised if they are brighter at
30-50 m. By the way, I'm talking about the newer Maglites with Krypton
bulbs.

Chris

One if the problems with Maglites, ANY of them, is the limited lifespan of
the bulbs. They're also not nearly as bright as the LED lights I've seen,
so at this point I'm no longer interested in them. When they adopt LED
technology, they'll likely be hard to beat, but I can't help but think
they're enjoying the after market sales of bulbs, so that may be a long time
coming.

Harold

Martin H. Eastburn

http://www.ccrane.com/index.aspx check out this site - if you have a light -
buy a bulb replacement.

I own the CC radio - this is a good company. No junk mail and doesn't bug.
The radio is great to say the least.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Ain't necessarily "cheap" but I bought a $40 Coast LED Lenser V at Lowes 4
months ago. Beats the heck out of my mini Maglite. It will hurt your eyes
if you look at it. I have used it 10-15 minutes almost every day and it is
still on it's first set of AAAs.

Christopher Tidy

AL wrote:

The problem with my 2-D Maglites is that they are not bright enough. I
recently bought a Streamlight headlight with a single Luxeon LED and it

is

far brighter than my Maglites.

Maybe at very close range, but I'd be surprised if they are brighter at
30-50 m. By the way, I'm talking about the newer Maglites with Krypton
bulbs.

Chris

One if the problems with Maglites, ANY of them, is the limited lifespan of
the bulbs. They're also not nearly as bright as the LED lights I've seen,
so at this point I'm no longer interested in them. When they adopt LED
technology, they'll likely be hard to beat, but I can't help but think
they're enjoying the after market sales of bulbs, so that may be a long time
coming.

Harold

I bought my Maglite nearly two years ago and it's seen a lot of use.
I've taken it all over the place in rain and dirt and really
inhospitable conditions, including dropping it several times, but it's
still on its first bulb. There's a spare one under the battery cap, too
- I like that feature.

Chris

Ron Bean

"Harold and Susan Vordos" writes:

One if the problems with Maglites, ANY of them, is the limited lifespan of
the bulbs. They're also not nearly as bright as the LED lights I've seen,
so at this point I'm no longer interested in them. When they adopt LED
technology, they'll likely be hard to beat...

Here is an LED conversion kit for the mini maglite:
http://www.opalec.com

I have not bought one yet, but it looks like the right idea.

I carry two mini-maglites in my toolbox, so between them I always have
enough parts (bulbs & batteries) for at least one working one...

Erik

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you
recommend,
don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE

I have 3 LED flashlights...

First is a 5 LED 'Inova X5'

http://www.inovalight.com/site.html?X5-ov

Got it as a gift about a year and a half ago, and have used it quite a
bit. Brilliant white light, beautiful machine work... uses expensive
looking 123A Lithium batteries, but as of yet, they show no sign of
being run down. This light is much better suited as a close range
'flood' type flashlight, as are most LED's I've seen. As far as being
used as a weapon, who cares. I stay out of those situations anyway.

The second one was also a gift. It's a Radio Shack single LED 'Hands
Free Mini Task Light' part number 630-1143.

http://tinyurl.com/as2sm

Sorry about the tinyurl, but the address is really long... you can just
go to radioshack.com and search on the part number for the same thing.
Uses 2 CR2032 button cells. It hangs over your ear and looks a like a
little 'Boom Mic'. It's very small, and great for quick close rang hands
free jobs. One draw back IMHO is it's pushbutton switch return spring is
way to light, and easily switched on accidently in your pocket. This
shortcoming has cost me 2 sets of batteries so far.

Third is a little keychain, single LED 'Pulsar P-1-BK'. Uses 2
replaceable 2016 button cells batteries, and sports a momentary
'squeeze' type switch. I didn't think much of it at first, but quickly
learned to LOVE it. Probably used it an average of 3+ times a day in the
2 or so years I've had it. It's original batteries are even still
strong. Nice thing about this one, is that I always have my keys (and
it) with me. Even picked up a spare unit a while back. The downside is
having to hold it on, but it's really more intended/suited to just
taking a quick look at things than as a work light anyway. I can't
recommend one of these inexpensive lights too much. (A neighbor got a
very similar light employing a slide type switch. It was going on all
the time in his pocket... waste of time)

Good Luck!

Erik
Harold and Susan Vordos

AL wrote:

[...]

They must not be too bad. My one and only 2 D cell model was stolen in the
burglary we endured about 16 months ago. It was still on its first bulb,
but I've had to replace the bulb twice now in the mini-mag (2 AA cells).
They seem to last about ten hours. Needless to say, I was pleased to have
the spare in the base-----which could prove to be very important under the
wrong circumstance. Like the light--hate the bulb life, and the fact
that it dims rapidly, very unlike the LED models I've seen.

Harold

mlcorson

Glenn:
A good source for LED lights is this site. Lots of info light output
ratings, comparisons, etc.
www.glowbug.com
-Mike

Robert Swinney

I got mine at Frye's, single AA for around $20 as I remember. Other than
case differences, I am guessing the actual LED's are about the same from
brand to brand. Mayhaps Don Foreman or Sphero can shed some "light" here.

Bob Swinney

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Grant Erwin writes:

Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and
are reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one
you recommend, don't just dump out an URL.

I was in Beijing last week, where they were selling them with Maglite
style bodies for $5 or $8. Worth the trip.

Helpful, Richard. :-)

GWE

Richard J Kinch

Robert Swinney writes:

I got mine at Frye's, single AA for around $20 as I remember. Other
than case differences, I am guessing the actual LED's are about the
same from brand to brand.

No, there is a huge variety of white LED characteristics (luminance,
efficiency, phosphor color, output angle). And furthermore a range of
grades within a given part number, as they are sorted by how well they
turned out (for chip variations, optical flaws, etc).
Richard J Kinch

Glenn Ashmore writes:

It just says Coaster LED Lenser V2 and doing a quick Google I see what
you mean. This is the only one I found that looks like mine
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandspl...6-ccc7736.html
But I paid right at $40 at Lowes.

These are exactly what is retailed on the street in Beijing for less than
$10. Somebody's making a fortune importing them.
Eric R Snow

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:55:07 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are
reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you recommend,
don't just dump out an URL.

Thanks!

GWE

Grant,