Aaron Duvall

Default Just Doing It?

I have a bit of a newbie question that I'm hoping somebody might be able to
answer. I'm working on a project that needs a small copper or brass dish-- nothing
parabolic or fancy, but just a plain dish. I'm wondering if I just sketch it in on
my diagrams and take it to a machine shop, would the people there be able to make
it? Thanks.

Aaron

Tim Shoppa

If you need just one, you may have better luck looking through a
five-and-dime or hardware store for a kitchen gadget or tool that has a
"dish" in the shape and size you need. I'm thinking of measuring
spoons and ice cream scoops right now - although finding these in brass
or copper may be the difficulty.

Machining a thin dish out of copper or brass sounds unlikely although
I'm sure you could pay to get it done. More likely would be to make a
wooden form and hammer copper or brass sheet around it.

Tim.

Martin H. Eastburn

Tim Shoppa wrote:

If you need just one, you may have better luck looking through a
five-and-dime or hardware store for a kitchen gadget or tool that has a
"dish" in the shape and size you need. I'm thinking of measuring
spoons and ice cream scoops right now - although finding these in brass
or copper may be the difficulty.

Machining a thin dish out of copper or brass sounds unlikely although
I'm sure you could pay to get it done. More likely would be to make a
wooden form and hammer copper or brass sheet around it.

Tim.

Depending on the gage - might be able just to press one out of a sheet.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

David Billington

Some size info would be useful such as diameter, depth, thickness. This
might be a job for a metal spinner. Depending on the size its something
I can do easily by spinning but i'm in the UK and you haven't given your
location.

Aaron Duvall wrote:

I have a bit of a newbie question that I'm hoping somebody might be able to
answer. I'm working on a project that needs a small copper or brass dish-- nothing
parabolic or fancy, but just a plain dish. I'm wondering if I just sketch it in on
my diagrams and take it to a machine shop, would the people there be able to make
it? Thanks.

Aaron

Bob May

You'll be better off with an artist type in your area that does tinsmithing.
Either that or youc can try it yourself. You need a form of hardwood and a
hammer to do the dishing. Finalizing the surface should be done with a soft
hammer to take out the roughness. Task for a 10" dish shouldn't take more
than an hour (or three) to rough and finish.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Aaron Duvall

"Bob May" wrote in message
You'll be better off with an artist type in your area that does tinsmithing.
Either that or youc can try it yourself. You need a form of hardwood and a
hammer to do the dishing. Finalizing the surface should be done with a soft
hammer to take out the roughness. Task for a 10" dish shouldn't take more
than an hour (or three) to rough and finish.

Oh, no; nothing that large. I just need a small dish, about
1" diameter or a little less.

Aaron

Ken Davey

Aaron Duvall wrote:
"Bob May" wrote in message
You'll be better off with an artist type in your area that does
tinsmithing. Either that or youc can try it yourself. You need a
form of hardwood and a hammer to do the dishing. Finalizing the
surface should be done with a soft hammer to take out the roughness.
Task for a 10" dish shouldn't take more than an hour (or three) to
rough and finish.

Oh, no; nothing that large. I just need a small dish, about
1" diameter or a little less.

Aaron

In that case how about the domed end of a copper pipe cap?

Martin H. Eastburn

Aaron Duvall wrote:

"Bob May" wrote in message

You'll be better off with an artist type in your area that does tinsmithing.
Either that or youc can try it yourself. You need a form of hardwood and a
hammer to do the dishing. Finalizing the surface should be done with a soft
hammer to take out the roughness. Task for a 10" dish shouldn't take more
than an hour (or three) to rough and finish.

Oh, no; nothing that large. I just need a small dish, about
1" diameter or a little less.

Aaron

Try a copper pipe end or closing item. One inch copper pipe sweat on end cup.

If the cup is to long, the length can be trimmed down.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Go to ;

http://www.metalliferous.com/

and look at their base metal catalog. Somewhere around page 21 you
will find brass domed disks.

Paul K. Dickman

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:50:07 -0700, "Aaron Duvall"
wrote:

"Bob May" wrote in message
You'll be better off with an artist type in your area that does tinsmithing.
Either that or youc can try it yourself. You need a form of hardwood and a
hammer to do the dishing. Finalizing the surface should be done with a soft
hammer to take out the roughness. Task for a 10" dish shouldn't take more
than an hour (or three) to rough and finish.

Oh, no; nothing that large. I just need a small dish, about
1" diameter or a little less.

Aaron

Bob May

That would still be the artist type stuff. A recent show of The Woodwright
Shop had a gal come in and do some tinsmithing and, with a few (special)
tools, she basically did a teapot on the show. Domed the lid and all. A
sandbag and a little work (maybe 2 minutes) with a nylon rounded hammer and
it was just like it was stamped by a big machine.
Grab a soft headed hammer and play around for a bit and you will see how
easy it really is to do. You will probably have a rejection of the first
few tries but remember that copper can be annealed by getting it to a red
heat and then letting it cool either by air or in a bucket of water and you
can try again with softer blows to make it right.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Aaron Duvall

"Aaron Duvall" wrote in message

"Bob May" wrote in message
You'll be better off with an artist type in your area that does tinsmithing.
Either that or youc can try it yourself. You need a form of hardwood and a
hammer to do the dishing. Finalizing the surface should be done with a soft
hammer to take out the roughness. Task for a 10" dish shouldn't take more
than an hour (or three) to rough and finish.

Oh, no; nothing that large. I just need a small dish, about
1" diameter or a little less.

Thanks for the tips, folks; they are much appreciated.

Aaron