Greg Postma

Default Opposable thumbs are good

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the little Craftsman/Atlas lathe my
FIL gave me. Well, I am now making chips!!!!!!! Not big chips, not
pretty chips, but chips none the less.....

I still have some adjusting to do on this little baby, but man, it sure
is fun seeing a dull object suddenly get shiny as I zip a long.

When I came up from my basement shop, my beloved wifey wished me a Merry
Christmas. I thought the dear woman had finally gone round the bend,but
much to my surprise, my tee shirt was covered with "tinsel" and I looked
like a Christmas tree. I had been turning a broken aluminum pulley and
well you can guess the rest.

I also turned a shaft to fit a pulley I had laying around, chamfered and
faced off the end of the shaft and drilled a 1/4 in hole in the center
of the shaft......The finish on the turned portion of the shaft was,well
nothing to be proud of, but I got it to the dimensions I wanted, so I
guess was successful. The quality of my work was on par with tools from
Harbor Freight, so it looks like I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.

Now, I think that the next thing I need to do is learn how to grind my
tooling. I just grabbed a tool my FIL made 25 years ago and started
having fun....

OH, and BTW, the shaft I turned tonight, was already hardened when I
chucked it up... gotta get some differant steel.....

Greg

wws

Greg Postma wrote:
[...]

Remember to sleep once in awhile.
You'll dream up all sorts of permutations.
I used to dream of holes. All kinds of holes.
ff

wws wrote:

Remember to sleep once in awhile.
You'll dream up all sorts of permutations.
I used to dream of holes. All kinds of holes.

...............no, I'm not going to say anything
wws

wws wrote:
ff wrote:

wws wrote:

Remember to sleep once in awhile.
You'll dream up all sorts of permutations.
I used to dream of holes. All kinds of holes.

..............no, I'm not going to say anything

Got a dirty mind, don'cha?

drilled holes
bored holes
cast holes
round holes
oval holes
square holes
blind holes
thru holes
hidden holes
interpolated holes
edm holes
tapped holes
reamed holes
punched holes
torched holes
flat bottomed holes
burnished holes
counterbored holes
chamfered holes
punched holes
ground holes
threaded holes
deep holes
broached holes
tapered holes
shrinking holes

and finally, the ones you were thinking about,

bushed holes

Gary Brady

Greg Postma wrote:

Now, I think that the next thing I need to do is learn how to grind my
tooling. I just grabbed a tool my FIL made 25 years ago and started
having fun....

There's a pretty good reference for tool grinding he

http://www.sherline.com/grinding.htm

After reading this, the first tool I ground actually made some chips.

Gary Brady

Greg Postma

Gary Brady wrote:
There's a pretty good reference for tool grinding he

http://www.sherline.com/grinding.htm

After reading this, the first tool I ground actually made some chips.

Gary Brady

Thanks Gary, I tripped over the Sherline site last night. I also found a
couple of additional sites that were very informative..
Greg
Brian Lawson

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:11:31 -0500, Greg Postma
wrote:

Gary Brady wrote:
There's a pretty good reference for tool grinding he

http://www.sherline.com/grinding.htm

After reading this, the first tool I ground actually made some chips.

Gary Brady

Thanks Gary, I tripped over the Sherline site last night. I also found a
couple of additional sites that were very informative..
Greg

Hey Greg,

We're always open to new stuff. What other sites did you find?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ff

wws wrote:

ff wrote:

wws wrote:

[...]

LOL !!

I just finished a job drilling .375 diameter holes, 6 inches deep
from both sides and meeting in the middle. On the first part I could
drop a .374 pin all the way through! As the drill started to wear the
match wasn't quite as good but still in spec. Now that's a dream hole :-)

Fred