juanote

Default GINI GINI GINI

Hello, i'm a student from Argentina and I need GINI data, all of which
I can get a hand on. I read the following:

F. George McDuffeewrote:

snip
IOW, without the poor, there cannot exist the rich....and sadly, the

reverse
also holds true.
snip

You are correct.

Equality [not the level] of income is commonly quantified
[measured by a number] using the Lorenz curve/distribution. In
economics this measurement is called the GINI index.

The values range from 1.00, which indicates perfect inequality of
income, i.e. one person gets it all and everyone else has none,
to 0.00, which indicates everyone gets the same.

The lowest U.S. GINI index [most equal income] was 0.351 in 1957.
In 1994, it was 0.426 with an increasingly steep trend line.
This is significant because the GINI index is highly correlated
with quality of life factors such as murder, robbery, burglary,
death and suicide rates. This holds true not only between/among
cash economy countries but also between American states and major
metro statistical areas.

The United States currently has the highest GINI index of any of
the OECD countries (and is rapidly increasing their lead). As
the GINI index increases to the values seen in countries such as
Columbia and Brasil, we should expect to see street crimes and
home invasions increase to comparable levels.

The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics and Bureau of
Economic Analysis tracks the GINI index as well as the World
Bank. Less developed economies give mis-leading results because
these tend to be non-cash economies with considerable subsistence
and/or underground economic activity, i.e. the farmer consumes
most of what he grows, so this does not show up as income.

If anyone is interested I will be pleased to email you US and
world GINI data with trend lines and other statistical data in
xls format.

GmcD[/quote:1a81446e6c]

If anyone could help, I would be grateful.

thanks
Juan Manuel Otero

F. George McDuffee

I will be pleased to provide the data I collected through 1995
and the sections of my dissertation that dealt with the GINI
correlations as this applied to vocational-technical education.

Please send me an email with a valid address. Does your ISP
allow zip files? If so, I will zip the files. What are the
maximum size files your ISP will allow?

What is the thrust/theme of your thesis/dissertation?

Argentina had first hand experience with the immediate and after
effects of a sudden economic implosion, and the resulting steep
increase in the GINI index. The US does not need to worry
because it cannot happen here :- [see cover story on Wed. WSJ
for article on this.]

GmcD

===============

F. George McDuffeewrote:

[...]

Cliff

On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:10:43 -0700, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Argentina had first hand experience with the immediate and after
effects of a sudden economic implosion, and the resulting steep
increase in the GINI index.

Didn't they try "private" social security accounts?
http://www.cepr.net/argentina_and_ss_privatization.htm

Oops .... and the neocons use this as a model?
--
Cliff

Cliff

wrote:

Argentina had first hand experience with the immediate and after
effects of a sudden economic implosion, and the resulting steep
increase in the GINI index. The US does not need to worry
because it cannot happen here :- [see cover story on Wed. WSJ
for article on this.]

Have a link of some sort?
--
Cliff