Tom Gardner

Default Bullet trap plans

I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

Thomas Kendrick

The Google search should be for "shooting range equipment".
The designs that I have seen are either a tilted plate, leading edge
toward the shooter OR a snail-shell design where the bullet spirals
down, expending energy, into a catch box. Sand-trap at the bottom to
avoid splattering.

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:04:12 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

Gunner

wrote:

I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

Tom, Id use at minimum, 1/2" plate placed at least on a 45' angle.
And make it as freaking big as you can. Seriously.
36"x36" or larger.

http://www.22ammo.com/bullettrap.html

And the front has to have at least a 6" high lip, even when filled
with 4" of sand..6" above sand level

http://www.shootingrangesintl.com/traps.htm
http://aec.army.mil/usaec/technology/rangexxi03a.html
http://www.caswellintl.com/traps.html

My personal preference is for the old rams horn helical bullet traps
most highschools had in their basement ranges.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Gunner

wrote:

I came to the realization that I can shoot in the plant after hours without
disturbing the neighbors. You can't hear even a .45 from the office yet
alone outside. So, I figured I'd weld-up a trap. I'm sure I could bodge
something together from the stock racks but would appreciate a plan or some
idea. I'd let Roger (engineer) do it but the last one he built he said he
had to move with a crane. I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. ( I only need a
soup-can size!G) How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'? .223? I'll
probably shoot .22s most due to cost. I did Google without joy.

Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

http://www.patentstorm.us/class/273/..._backstop.html

Toss the ammo in the trash can.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Tom Gardner

"Ignoramus9970" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:04:12 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

That's weird, I have piles of Wolf ammo (mostly 7.62x39), none of
which is corroded. The easiest way to dispose it would be to take it
to a police station. I think that our takes ammunition.

Do I smell an SKS? I have a nib Russian SKS that I haven't used yet in 10
years. Paid $99

DeepDiver

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...

I'm thinking 12" to 18" square. How thick to stop a max of .44 at 50'?
.223?

Just a 1.5 square foot trap? To catch .44 and .223 rounds? I sure hope you
have something very large and very solid beyond where you're setting up this
tiny trap (like, perhaps, the side of a hill). Either that, or you own the
property for several miles downrange.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:43:17 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Ignoramus9970" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:04:12 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8 months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

That's weird, I have piles of Wolf ammo (mostly 7.62x39), none of
which is corroded. The easiest way to dispose it would be to take it
to a police station. I think that our takes ammunition.

Do I smell an SKS? I have a nib Russian SKS that I haven't used yet in 10
years. Paid $99

It's probably doubled in value, by the way. I can't think of anything
that'd chamber .223 that'd be worth risking with crudded up ammo.
7.62x39, sure.

Tom Gardner

Ok, tell me!

"Ignoramus9970" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:43:17 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:

"Ignoramus9970" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 15:04:12 GMT, Tom Gardner wrote:
Another ammo question. I have 200 rounds of Wolf brand .223 that are
severely corroded after being in a sealed ammo box for 8
months...weird!
How should I dispose? (DON'T BUY WOLF!!!)

That's weird, I have piles of Wolf ammo (mostly 7.62x39), none of
which is corroded. The easiest way to dispose it would be to take it
to a police station. I think that our takes ammunition.

Do I smell an SKS? I have a nib Russian SKS that I haven't used yet in
10
years. Paid $99

haha. is there any way you can smell more than one thing?

Tom Gardner

I do have a whole vacant 15k' building on the other side of the wall behind
the trap. This wall is 2' thick old-style block then two more walls then a
hill for a total of 800' to the hill. I think I'll stick to .22s though.

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:44:38 GMT, DeepDiver wrote:
Just a 1.5 square foot trap? To catch .44 and .223 rounds? I sure hope
you
have something very large and very solid beyond where you're setting up
this
tiny trap (like, perhaps, the side of a hill). Either that, or you own
the
property for several miles downrange.

Even if he does own the property, a proper backstop is necessary.

I, also, was appalled at the suggestions if such tiny backstops.

At the very least, I would build a cinderblock wall behind such small
backstops. Maybe it will be good for stopping or slowing down only one
round, but that could save a life.

Emmo

I shoot 10-meter air pistol in my livingroom with a clay trap in my
fireplace... It is a lot of fun and has greatly improved my scores...

I think I'll stick to .22s though.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:18:19 GMT, Emmo wrote:
I shoot 10-meter air pistol in my livingroom with a clay trap in my
fireplace... It is a lot of fun and has greatly improved my scores...

Clay trap? What is this, please?

Dave Hinz

R. O'Brian

12" of pea gravel will stop anything you are likely to shoot from the
shoulder. A 1 cubic foot steel(5 sides) box with one open side covered
with heavy reinforced rubber(PU truck bed mat) and a hinged top makes a good
indoor bullet trap. The pea gravel is converted to dust by the bullet
impacts and the gravel level gradually falls in the process, hence the
hinged top to add more gravel. The rubber will need to be replaced
periodically.
Cheap to build and easy to maintain. Mine stops 30-06 soft-points in less
than 6" penetration.

Randy

[...]

Bob May

Let me tell you of a story of a friend that had a rifle.
He wanted to do some indoor shooting and could do so as he lived behind his
shop. I came in one day and found him draining his pool to fix a leak in
it. Seems that he missed his target (a 3' square of steel sitting at an
angle) and the bullet went though a concrete block wall, the wall of his
trailer, an interior wall, the bathtub (two hits there), another exterior
wall and into the plastic surface pool that he used for cooling water.
Bullet lay about 3' inside of the pool and when we got it out, it was merely
scratched up a bit from going through all of the stuff that it went through.
He subsequently changed his direction of shooting so that after the bullet
goes thgough the block wall it hits dirt for about a tenth of a mile. He
ended up putting several more bulllets into that dirt, one of which almost
missed the dirt!
All that at about 50' or so for a range!
With my experiences in shooting, getting off by 5' at such a range isn't
shooting but rather just banging the gun but he'd get flyers like that on
occasion.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Emmo

A clay trap is often used for airgun target shooting. Mine is a homemade
12"x12"x3" box with about 2" of plumbers' clay in it. (I have also used
regular plasticine modeling clay). A layer of cardboard on top, and tape
the target to that.

A friend and I have invented a new sport -- recliner shooting. We both
bought Feinwerkbau 10meter pistols for way too much money. Mine has the
electronic trigger, he went with the more traditional. We set up targets on
plasticene-filled 'quiet stops' in our respective fireplaces,(he is in New
Hampshire, I am in Texas), and lie back in our recliners while we watch the
late night cable channels and drink green chartreuse, while our wives and
kids are asleep down the hall. I don't know how good he is getting, as it
has been a while since we have gotten together, but I got pretty good after
5000 pellets or so...

I actually have two targets, the clay filled target frame, as above,
which is dead quiet, and a metal spinner target where you shoot 4 and the
5th resets them, so you never have to get up out of the chair, which is
preferred, but noisy, more appropriate for use while watching drag racing
all day Sunday.

I also use a monocular as a spotting scope to verify my errors
after every shot. Some sort of tripod arrangement mounted to the recliner
would be a great improvement, as I keep losing the monocular in the chair
cushion.

The fireplace screen hides this when necessary, so I haven't taken it out of
the fireplace in probably 10 years. I do vacuum out the pellets and target
fluff every year or two, whether it needs it or not.

I am waiting for 10 meter, (actually, I am really only 7 meters from the
target, so 7 meter recliner shooting to become an Olympic event...

Clay trap? What is this, please?

Dave Hinz

AcidBurn

What I did in my young and dumb days was this:

In my parents basement (think about this now), me and my buddy put a piece
of plywood against the wall to which we hung the rubber bed mat out of his
pops truck. Then we swiped a few stop signs screwed them to the rubber and
plywood. After we did all this we then fired misc. hanguns and our .22's. We
had a "range" of 25'. We did all this while my parents were travelling
around the country for a month. When they got home we had forgotten to take
down the "range" I came home from school one day to find my Dad "playin"
with the guns. The range stayed there for the whole summer until we decided
to finish the basement. The bullets did find their way into the concrete
block and that needed a patch. But it held up rather well for .38's 9s and
..22's for about four months.
As time progressed and my parents aquired 1500 acres behind the house my
buddy and I went to town building a "real" range in a valley with a dirt
backstop and range tables. I had purchased many more guns by then and got an
AR and Mac 11 and an AK, many a time the police would be called because of
"automatic weapon fire" after a few times responding to the calls they knew
it was only us. Unfortunatley, I moved away and my parents sold the house
and land and I never got to fire my .50 cal there. Once we had to put out a
small fire due to tracer rounds. I honed my skills in that back country and
I bet to this day the lead levels are outrageous.

Searcher1

Sniper call sign BLUE WOLF

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:09:31 GMT, Emmo wrote:
A clay trap is often used for airgun target shooting. Mine is a homemade
12"x12"x3" box with about 2" of plumbers' clay in it. (I have also used
regular plasticine modeling clay). A layer of cardboard on top, and tape
the target to that.

Ah, that's interesting. I've been using either a flat plate with a
trough below it (they spread straight out) or the classic "snail"
..22 trap. How do you reclaim the lead for reloading? (Pellet lead
is nice and soft, makes great minie balls for muzzleloaders)

A friend and I have invented a new sport -- recliner shooting.

I believe you may find that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle may have
beat you to inventing that one.

We both
bought Feinwerkbau 10meter pistols for way too much money. Mine has the
electronic trigger, he went with the more traditional. We set up targets on
plasticene-filled 'quiet stops' in our respective fireplaces,(he is in New
Hampshire, I am in Texas), and lie back in our recliners while we watch the
late night cable channels and drink green chartreuse, while our wives and
kids are asleep down the hall.

Yes, that's an option you don't have with firearms... I have a
FWB air rifle (model 300-S, maybe 20 years old). Beautifully made.
How is the workmanship on the current stuff?

I actually have two targets, the clay filled target frame, as above,
which is dead quiet,

So, no "Thunk" then. Hm. That's part of the fun. But quiet would
be nice, and no spitting of lead shreds. How long can you use the
clay trap before re-packing it?

Dave Hinz

Emmo

I clean the clay with a putty knife to get the old pellets out every couple
of months (hundreds of pellets), but I just throw it away - I don't reclaim
it.

There was a whole era of "parlor shooting" - 1890s I believe, where guns and
ammo were made to allow shooting like we are now doing. I have never seen
more than just a passing reference to it however. You say Sir Arthur Conan
Doyle did this?

My Feinwerkbau 75 (or is it 95?) is the one with the electronic trigger, his
is the model 65 classic. Both were used, I am trying to sell mine now for
$500 or so in the case with barrel weights, multiple sights, essentially
_all_ the accessories... I have not seen any new FWBs so can't comment on
them, but I would be surprised if they weren't still perfect in practically
every way g...

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:02:59 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

I clean the clay with a putty knife to get the old pellets out every couple
of months (hundreds of pellets), but I just throw it away - I don't reclaim
it.

There was a whole era of "parlor shooting" - 1890s I believe, where guns and
ammo were made to allow shooting like we are now doing. I have never seen
more than just a passing reference to it however. You say Sir Arthur Conan
Doyle did this?

Lots of them were propellent fired. 3 and 4 millimeter caliber.

Gunner

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Hinz

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:02:59 GMT, Emmo wrote:
I clean the clay with a putty knife to get the old pellets out every couple
of months (hundreds of pellets), but I just throw it away - I don't reclaim
it.

There was a whole era of "parlor shooting" - 1890s I believe, where guns and
ammo were made to allow shooting like we are now doing. I have never seen
more than just a passing reference to it however. You say Sir Arthur Conan
Doyle did this?

He had Sherlock Holmes and Watson doing this in one of the stories, but of
course I can't remember which at the moment.

My Feinwerkbau 75 (or is it 95?) is the one with the electronic trigger, his
is the model 65 classic. Both were used, I am trying to sell mine now for
$500 or so in the case with barrel weights, multiple sights, essentially
_all_ the accessories... I have not seen any new FWBs so can't comment on
them, but I would be surprised if they weren't still perfect in practically
every way g...

Loverly workmanship, isn't it? And the 2-stage mechanical trigger in mine
is just _so_ crisp. I've got a 1911 that Charlie Milazzo built years ago,
it's probably the only trigger I've got that's as good or better.

Dave Hinz

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

He had Sherlock Holmes and Watson doing this in one of the stories, but of
course I can't remember which at the moment.

I recall holmes shooting at something over his mantlepiece, but it
wasn't an air gun. I think he was spelling out "Disrali" perhaps?

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 4 Apr 2005 07:54:50 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

He had Sherlock Holmes and Watson doing this in one of the stories, but of
course I can't remember which at the moment.

I recall holmes shooting at something over his mantlepiece, but it
wasn't an air gun. I think he was spelling out "Disrali" perhaps?

It was a pattern he shot into the plaster, I think it was over the door
to the right of the fireplace. You can visit 221B Baker Street in London,
and the people who have set it up have been remarkably consistant with
the _fictional_ actions and characters, so I've been told. Kind of
tourist-y, but cheap and close to the Tube station, so...

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:58:15 GMT, Tom Quackenbush wrote:
jim rozen wrote:
Dave Hinz says...

He had Sherlock Holmes and Watson doing this in one of the stories, but of
course I can't remember which at the moment.

I recall holmes shooting at something over his mantlepiece, but it
wasn't an air gun. I think he was spelling out "Disrali" perhaps?

Are you thinking of the "VR" (Victoria Regina)?

I do believe that's it, yes.

http://www.westminsteronline.org/hol...ulletpocks.htm

That's the one.
Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 06:38:42 GMT, Gunner
wrote:
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:02:59 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

There was a whole era of "parlor shooting" - 1890s I believe, where guns and
ammo were made to allow shooting like we are now doing. I have never seen
more than just a passing reference to it however. You say Sir Arthur Conan
Doyle did this?

Lots of them were propellent fired. 3 and 4 millimeter caliber.

.22 "CB Cap" loads, anyone? Now available in Longs! ;-)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Gerald Miller

wrote:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:02:59 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

I clean the clay with a putty knife to get the old pellets out every couple
of months (hundreds of pellets), but I just throw it away - I don't reclaim
it.

There was a whole era of "parlor shooting" - 1890s I believe, where guns and
ammo were made to allow shooting like we are now doing. I have never seen
more than just a passing reference to it however. You say Sir Arthur Conan
Doyle did this?

Lots of them were propellent fired. 3 and 4 millimeter caliber.

Gunner

Some time ago I saw a magazine write-up on basement shooting galleries
for something like .45 colt revolvers wherein they modified the casing
to accept a shotgun primer as the propellant charge to throw a slug
cut from hard wax in a baking pan.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Bullet trap for homebuilt basement firing range? Mike Patterson Metalworking 21 August 4th 04 12:29 AM
Bullets falling back to earth Dean Metalworking 171 December 20th 03 06:11 AM
Peg-gear-clock Plans - Woodworking Plans peg-gear-clock Woodturning 0 December 11th 03 11:10 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM