DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   calculating feed rate (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/97120-calculating-feed-rate.html)

Charles A. Sherwood March 30th 05 05:43 PM

calculating feed rate

When calculating feed rate, you need to know the number of teeth
that are cutting per revolution of the cutter.

When using a skip tooth cutter, I think I need to actually use
1/2 the total number of teeth because 1/2 the teeth are cutting
each side. Is this correct??

chuck

Harold and Susan Vordos March 31st 05 10:11 AM

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
When calculating feed rate, you need to know the number of teeth
that are cutting per revolution of the cutter.

When using a skip tooth cutter, I think I need to actually use
1/2 the total number of teeth because 1/2 the teeth are cutting
each side. Is this correct??

chuck

Depends of the chip load you can tolerate and the finish required.
Generally the staggered teeth overlap enough that the vast majority of the
center is removed with each tooth, so you can target your feed rate based on
each tooth cutting. The staggered teeth deal with the slightly heavier
cut on the sides quite nicely, at least on larger machines. If in doubt,
start light and increase feed accordingly. On a machine like a K&T, you
can do that while it's running. You probably already know to *not* climb
mill.

Harold