Time Traveler

Default Transposing

I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high
school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what does B
equal?Thanks for any help.

william_b_noble

ab/(a+b)=c
ab=c(a+b) (multiply both sides by a+b
b= c(a+b)/a (multiply both sides by 1/a)

"Time Traveler" wrote in message
I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high
school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what does B
equal?Thanks for any help.

Ron DeBlock

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:51:22 -0500, Time Traveler wrote:

I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high
school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what does B
equal?Thanks for any help.

(A x B)/(A + B) = C

B =-(A x C)/(C - A)

My son is taking Algebra II this year, so I've had to refresh my skills.
I minored in Mathematics in college, but that was a long time ago....

I found Maxima, a cool open source Computer Algebra System that helps me
check his homework. See http://maxima.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

Also, a GUI front end for it, WxMaxima, at
http://wxmaxima.sourceforge.net/download.html

I run the software on Linux (Fedora Core 3), but there are Windows version
available.

-Ron

Steve Smith

Halcitron wrote:

Time Traveler wrote:

I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high
school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what

does B

equal?Thanks for any help.

1

:/

Only if you use the appropriate units...

Steve

Tim Williams

"Time Traveler" wrote in message
I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high
school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what does B
equal?

The battle of New Orleans.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Errol Groff

B = 7

Use one of the two universal answers, 7 or Lewis and Clarke.

When confronted with a number question if you have no idea always put
7.

If it is a word quewtion and you don't know always use Lewis and
Clarke.

A number of years back an English teacher at a previous school was
really ripped at me. She wanted to know why my shop students were
answering Lewis and Clarke on her tests. Apparently she did not know
about the universal answers.

Errol Groff

wrote:

I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high
school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what does B
equal?Thanks for any help.

Gunner

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:24:26 -0600, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Time Traveler" wrote in message
I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high
school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what does B
equal?

The battle of New Orleans.

Tim

"shopping"

Or "42"

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider
Time Traveler

Thanks guys to the ones who gave positive replies.

ab / (a+b) = c
ab = c * (a+b)
ab = ac + bc
ab - bc = ac
b*(a-c) = ac
b = ac / (a-c)

Yours,

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Jeff Wisnia

Errol Groff wrote:
B = 7

Use one of the two universal answers, 7 or Lewis and Clarke.

When confronted with a number question if you have no idea always put
7.

If it is a word quewtion and you don't know always use Lewis and
Clarke.

A number of years back an English teacher at a previous school was
really ripped at me. She wanted to know why my shop students were
answering Lewis and Clarke on her tests. Apparently she did not know
about the universal answers.

Errol Groff

That reminds me of the "universal references" we used in college - Snow,
Buzzi and Feene.

We'd reference an article in the "Journal of Applied Whateveritwas",
Vol. XX, Issue YY, purportedly written by those three eminent men of
science.

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:58:40 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

"Time Traveler" wrote in message
I was asked by my nephew to solve an equation but being out of high
school for 45 years I am rusty.If A X B divided by A + B = C what does B
equal?

The battle of New Orleans.

Tim

"shopping"

Or "42"

0.5 if my algebra didn't duck down an alley and stop for drinks along
the way.

--
pyotr filipivich.

Time Traveler

Gentlemen thanks again for the help.The formula was a product over the
sum question in a physics lab to be used to find parallel
resistances.After plugging in the numbers your solution was correct.