DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sources for springs? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/96167-sources-springs.html)

Proctologically Violated©® March 22nd 05 01:32 PM

Sources for springs?

Awl--

At times I need springs for prototypes, usually compression. I have Lee
Springs out by me in Brooklyn, NY, and I use Century Spring, who has an
extensive catalog of springs.

But the prices!!!! Goodgawd, you can get weak at the knee--a little bitty
spring, like what you'd find in a camera shutter or a bic click pen, can be
$4-5!! For ONE!!
Man, now I save every spring from every pen I come across....

For non-critical/exact specs/geometries, a good hardware store has a stack
of parts drawers w/ a good selection, if you don't need die springs or
anything too fine, at a relative bargain price. And I've had springs made,
in relatively short runs, for very good prices.
But one'sies/two'sies are killers.

Any idears? Sources??
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

jim rozen March 22nd 05 02:01 PM

In article , Proctologically Violated©® says...

Any idears? Sources??

Purchse a selection of music wire, and
wind your own.

Jim

please reply to:

Leo Lichtman March 22nd 05 07:10 PM

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote: (clip) Man, now I save every spring from
every pen I come across....(clip) Any idears? Sources??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you keep that up long enough, you'll eventually have too many. Since you
can NEVER have too many springs (or parts of any kind) that is where you
want to be. In the meantime, check places like Harbor Freight, where they
sell boxes of assorted springs.

In time of need, a spring can be worth MORE than it's weight in gold
(literally.)

Grady March 23rd 05 12:10 AM

Do you have Ace Hardware stores in your area? In their sections of bolts
nuts etc, they have some oddball stuff as well. I needed a compression
spring the other day. Had exactly what I needed. Something like 69 cents,
which seemed high, but I did not have to pay 7 dollars for shipping either.

bw March 23rd 05 04:09 AM

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

At times I need springs for prototypes, usually compression. I have Lee
Springs out by me in Brooklyn, NY, and I use Century Spring, who has an
extensive catalog of springs.

But the prices!!!! Goodgawd, you can get weak at the knee--a little bitty
spring, like what you'd find in a camera shutter or a bic click pen, can
be $4-5!! For ONE!!
Man, now I save every spring from every pen I come across....

For non-critical/exact specs/geometries, a good hardware store has a stack
of parts drawers w/ a good selection, if you don't need die springs or
anything too fine, at a relative bargain price. And I've had springs
made, in relatively short runs, for very good prices.
But one'sies/two'sies are killers.

Go to your local thrift store and get an old typewriter.
Take it apart.

Proctologically Violated©® March 23rd 05 05:39 AM

Ackshooly, how could I forget??

MSC/McMaster have a very good, nicely organized spring selection, for
example .120 diam .012 wire x 1": 10 pack for $3.61--what you'd pay for one
spring from Century.
I've bought many a pack from MSC, but thru my local supplier awhile ago, so
it just slipped my mind. Not encyclopedic like Century, who offers
specialized stuff, diff. alloys, SS, etc., but more than complete for most
apps.

Winding my own springs vaguely crossed my mind, and I spose it isn't that
hard, once you learn the ins/outs, but ahm just not up to it right now!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

desperado March 23rd 05 06:15 AM

I try the hardware store first. Auto stores generally stock springs for
carburetor return applications, and of course brake springs which are very
heavy and strong.

for very small compression and extension springs, the VCR parts repair
places have kits available. I think Electronix online is one source.

Yes, I agree with the other posts. When running across springs from broken
or spare equipment , I usually salvage them out and put them in my
collection. never throw away a spring which you happen to come across. I
have used my collection and it saved me on more than one occasion.

Once I had to get a brake return spring for a mobile home brake assembly. It
was weird. most brake return springs are asymmetric; i.e. the body of the
spring is not centered with respect to the ends. This one was symmetrical.
Couldn't find it. I did finally break down and purchase the McMaster Carr
Spring bender. I think it was about $150, but it is my insurance when I cant
find the spring I need. It makes left and right springs, compression and
extension of variable pitches. They also have a neat tool which makes the
loops on the ends of the springs. Make sure you get a good pair of music
wire cutters and different size spring wire. If the mandrel you need isn't
in the assortment which comes with the bender, one can be gotten from drill
rod, or ultimately turned on a lathe. I believe springs can be wound on a
lathe also but I don't have experience with that as of yet.

--
don paolino

Peter T. Keillor III March 23rd 05 11:51 AM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:09:24 -0600, "bw" wrote:

[...]

Or sewing machine. Especially good if you want to build a rod winder.

Pete Keillor

[email protected] March 23rd 05 04:40 PM

Proctologically Violated=A9=AE wrote:
[...]

For itty-bitty ones, I have an assortment from Brownells. They also
have an assortment of detent balls that's been handy.
www.brownells.com They also have longer lengths of coiled spring,
whack what you need off the stock and form loops or grind ends. Dremel
cutting disks shine for that. Multiple sizes of music wire, too, if
you're into winding your own.

Used to be Eagle Hardware had a whole wall of springs, since Lowe's
took them over, you're lucky to find anything. I use one of the few
real hardware stores that's left in the area for a start on spring
shopping, either Ace or True Value, they're usually Century branded. I
was able to find the exact springs that I needed for my Lion miter
trimmer fences there, also the return spring for my MEC Super Sizer.

Stan

DoN. Nichols March 24th 05 03:11 AM

In article ,
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Ackshooly, how could I forget??

[ ... ]

Winding my own springs vaguely crossed my mind, and I spose it isn't that
hard, once you learn the ins/outs, but ahm just not up to it right now!

Check out the following URL:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/springs.html

It will tell you everything you might ever need to know about making
springs.

If you aren't up to it now, bookmark it for later.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564