william_b_noble

Default Mystery tools - what the heck are these things

ok, I'm totally baffled - go to www.wbnoble.com and click on "mysteries" -
look at the first two items (those are the metal related items) and see if
you recognize these things. The first one was a swap meet purchase - the
vendor had no clue and neither do I, the second was an e-bay purchase that
was advertised as a "height gauge" - it clearly isn't that (and I know that
when I bought it), but what do you think it really is?

--
Bill

to Email me, repair this address and use it:
william_ b_ noble at msn dot com

also check out http://www.wbnoble.com

Joe

No clue on that press thingy... But could the first item be some sort of
guage? Something that is passed through or has something passed through it
to see what tolerances the user is getting?

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Know someone with a motorcycle in the NY Metro area?
http://host.mynocdns.com/mailman/lis...rides_yunx.com

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1111264938.e6c15e3959eadcf946706fb399baac55@t eranews...
ok, I'm totally baffled - go to www.wbnoble.com and click on "mysteries" -
look at the first two items (those are the metal related items) and see if
you recognize these things. The first one was a swap meet purchase - the
vendor had no clue and neither do I, the second was an e-bay purchase that
was advertised as a "height gauge" - it clearly isn't that (and I know
that
when I bought it), but what do you think it really is?

--
Bill

to Email me, repair this address and use it:
william_ b_ noble at msn dot com

also check out http://www.wbnoble.com

Item #1 looks like some type of a high-class scraper blade.

Item #2 I have no idea, other than it appears to me to be some sort of
a hole punch for a specific application..

Item #3 This appears to fall into the size category of what we once
(pre-transistor era) called 'Hearing Aid Tubes'. Some variants of this
type tube found their way into the "VT Proximitiy Fuzes" used on large
AA artillery shells by the military. The mystery to me is that I
remember these tubes as somewhat flattened, but your's appears to be
cylindrical. (For what it's worth, many if not most of the VT Proximity
Fuzes were manufactured at Eastman Kodak's Lincoln Avenue plant in
Rochester, NY.)

Harry C.

Ecnerwal

In article 1111264938.e6c15e3959eadcf946706fb399baac55@teran ews,
"william_b_noble" wrote:

http://www.wbnoble.com

The first one looks exactly like a carbide scraper blade. Given the
text, one could suppose that it's intended for precison metal scraping.
I'm very happy with the one I have (just marked Sandvik, and with the
holder) for paint, etc. scraping, but suspect it would work perfectly
well on metal as well. Clamps in a holder, scrape until one edge dull,
flip, scrape until other edge dull, replace or sharpen (diamond stone).

Greg

2nd item IMHO is a pump drill jig. That is what we call them anyway. We
use a similiar item in our plant ours are made by heinrich. Drill
bushing are layed out in the top, pulling the handle down moves the top
down onto the work clamping it.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1111264938.e6c15e3959eadcf946706fb399baac55@t eranews...
ok, I'm totally baffled - go to www.wbnoble.com and click on "mysteries" -
look at the first two items (those are the metal related items) and see if
you recognize these things. The first one was a swap meet purchase - the
vendor had no clue and neither do I, the second was an e-bay purchase that
was advertised as a "height gauge" - it clearly isn't that (and I know

that
when I bought it), but what do you think it really is?

It looks like a paint film thickness gauge. A sample of paint is placed on
a smooth test surface, and "squeegeed" out to a known wet thickness. After
the paint drys, the resulting film is mic'd for thickness, and a figure of
merit of solids content is created from the ratio of wet to dry thicknesses.

LLoyd