Michael Langford

Default Corner radius on 5052 aluminum

I have a couple hundred 2"x4"x.025" aluminum plates and I need a quick way
to round the corners. Is stacking them and using something like a drum
sander going to do it or can I get some better suggestions? Thanks, Mike

Stan-O

how picky is the radius? if it's picky, line them up and buy yourself
an external radaii cutter and run them through the milling machine,
should be able to do 10 or so at a time, shouldn't take that long, and
the end product will look a hell of a lot better than a belt sander

-S

Gunner

On 18 Mar 2005 16:22:49 -0800, "Stan-O" wrote:

how picky is the radius? if it's picky, line them up and buy yourself
an external radaii cutter and run them through the milling machine,
should be able to do 10 or so at a time, shouldn't take that long, and
the end product will look a hell of a lot better than a belt sander

-S

Indeed. Will work GREAT with a horizontal miller and either a radius
cutter or concave tool. You can stack a ****load of them and run em
though, spin the stack 90', repeat, repeat and so forth.

Or make a die and use a Diacro style kick punch to round the corners.
Might take some money setting up the die, but I think .250 should be
doable.

Id say..it depends on how many you have, and how close the tolerences
are. Any good punch press could do the job with the right tool if you
have a Bunch (as opposed to Many G)

Gunner
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
carl mciver

"Michael Langford" wrote in message
| I have a couple hundred 2"x4"x.025" aluminum plates and I need a quick way
| to round the corners. Is stacking them and using something like a drum
| sander going to do it or can I get some better suggestions? Thanks, Mike

How about pressing your wood router into use? You'll have to keep
aluminum out of the motor unless it's air powered, but wrapping it in a
T-shirt does the trick.

daniel peterman