carl mciver

Default Looking for large smoothbore plastic pipe slightly OT

I'm going to be working on a project soon that uses very, very large
smoothbore plastic pipe. It needs to be 24-27 inches in diameter, smooth on
the inside, and not too incredibly heavy. It'll be under a slight vacuum.
I've been looking at the green PVC sewer pipe, which is supposedly available
in those sizes, but it's not going to be easy to get. Apparently it's not
used a lot for some reason.
It is very important that the inside be smooth and pretty consistent in
diameter.
Does anyone know where I should be looking or if there is anything
better for this application?

Metal content: Remaining components of this project will be made of mild
CR steel, and aluminum, mostly 6061. Wiring most likely made of copper

Gunner

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:55:49 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

I'm going to be working on a project soon that uses very, very large
smoothbore plastic pipe. It needs to be 24-27 inches in diameter, smooth on
the inside, and not too incredibly heavy. It'll be under a slight vacuum.
I've been looking at the green PVC sewer pipe, which is supposedly available
in those sizes, but it's not going to be easy to get. Apparently it's not
used a lot for some reason.
It is very important that the inside be smooth and pretty consistent in
diameter.
Does anyone know where I should be looking or if there is anything
better for this application?

Metal content: Remaining components of this project will be made of mild
CR steel, and aluminum, mostly 6061. Wiring most likely made of copper

Where are you located? The pale green sewer pipe is readily available
here in So. California. Ive made many projects from it, including the
last 2 sail boxes, Cat Boxes for sail boats.

Rems are easy to find at construction sites, water works and so forth.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
carl mciver

"Gunner" wrote in message
| On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:55:49 GMT, "carl mciver"
| wrote:
|
| I'm going to be working on a project soon that uses very, very large
| smoothbore plastic pipe. It needs to be 24-27 inches in diameter, smooth
on
| the inside, and not too incredibly heavy. It'll be under a slight
vacuum.
| I've been looking at the green PVC sewer pipe, which is supposedly
available
| in those sizes, but it's not going to be easy to get. Apparently it's
not
| used a lot for some reason.
SNIP

| Where are you located? The pale green sewer pipe is readily available
| here in So. California. Ive made many projects from it, including the
| last 2 sail boxes, Cat Boxes for sail boats.
|
| Rems are easy to find at construction sites, water works and so forth.
|
| Gunner

I'm just north of Seattle. I need the whole 20 foot piece, not
remnants, and will likely have to figure out how to connect the pipes for
some longer configurations so that the inside is smooth across the joint. I
called one supplier and got a price of about $750 each for pipe that wasn't
quite what I wanted (smoothbore but hollow wall.) Ouch.
What brand of pipe or usual supplier did you use? In that size range is
it still called green PVC sewer pipe? I started to get lost in the
terminology and standards when I tried to find out more on the web. Most
sites want you to call a salesman, and I hate looking like an idiot (like I
need any help!) when I describe what I'm after.

Gunner

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 05:18:05 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
| On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:55:49 GMT, "carl mciver"
| wrote:
|
| I'm going to be working on a project soon that uses very, very large
| smoothbore plastic pipe. It needs to be 24-27 inches in diameter, smooth
on
| the inside, and not too incredibly heavy. It'll be under a slight
vacuum.
| I've been looking at the green PVC sewer pipe, which is supposedly
available
| in those sizes, but it's not going to be easy to get. Apparently it's
not
| used a lot for some reason.
SNIP

| Where are you located? The pale green sewer pipe is readily available
| here in So. California. Ive made many projects from it, including the
| last 2 sail boxes, Cat Boxes for sail boats.
|
| Rems are easy to find at construction sites, water works and so forth.
|
| Gunner

I'm just north of Seattle. I need the whole 20 foot piece, not
remnants, and will likely have to figure out how to connect the pipes for
some longer configurations so that the inside is smooth across the joint. I
called one supplier and got a price of about $750 each for pipe that wasn't
quite what I wanted (smoothbore but hollow wall.) Ouch.
What brand of pipe or usual supplier did you use? In that size range is
it still called green PVC sewer pipe? I started to get lost in the
terminology and standards when I tried to find out more on the web. Most
sites want you to call a salesman, and I hate looking like an idiot (like I
need any help!) when I describe what I'm after.

Dog if I know what the name is. Ill be in the area of a place that
uses a lot of it, likley this weekend. Ill stroll on into their yard
and see if I can get some info. The 24" piece I used for my cat box
(sail locker on a catamaran trailer..holds sail, boom etc) is about
3/8" wall thickness. Typically has flared ends.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H. L. Mencken
Richard J Kinch

Gunner writes:

The 24" piece I used for my cat box
(sail locker on a catamaran trailer..holds sail, boom etc) is about
3/8" wall thickness. Typically has flared ends.

Is this the boat in mothballs? Also has a cat box? Phew.

Karl Townsend

I'm going to be working on a project soon that uses very, very large
smoothbore plastic pipe. It needs to be 24-27 inches in diameter, smooth
on
the inside, and not too incredibly heavy. It'll be under a slight vacuum.

I've got a 1/2 mile of the six inch version buried on my place for
irrigation lines. Its just called gasket seal water line at Hydro
Engineering, the company that always has it in stock about 60 miles away.
They supply all the contractors that put in water and sewer for local
cities.

I'd work backwards. Ask your city administractor who put in/repaired
water/sewer lately. Ask them who they buy pipe from... It might be best to
buy through this contractor, most of these industrial wholesale outfits look
down on a onesy customer. BTW, this stuff ain't cheap.

Karl

jtaylor

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Gunner writes:

The 24" piece I used for my cat box
(sail locker on a catamaran trailer..holds sail, boom etc) is about
3/8" wall thickness. Typically has flared ends.

Is this the boat in mothballs? Also has a cat box? Phew.

I read Gunner's post as saying the "cat box" was the place he kept the
"sail, boom etc."

Were you _deliberately_ misunderstanding his post?

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:32:12 -0400, the inscrutable "jtaylor"
spake:

Gunner writes:

The 24" piece I used for my cat box
(sail locker on a catamaran trailer..holds sail, boom etc) is about
3/8" wall thickness. Typically has flared ends.

Is this the boat in mothballs? Also has a cat box? Phew.

I read Gunner's post as saying the "cat box" was the place he kept the
"sail, boom etc."

Were you _deliberately_ misunderstanding his post?

"He and Gunner have been having it out recently; arch enemies.
You're lucky you missed all that. Just let it go." I whispered.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
BillP

I'm just north of Seattle. I need the whole 20 foot piece, not
remnants, and will likely have to figure out how to connect the pipes for
some longer configurations so that the inside is smooth across the joint. I
called one supplier and got a price of about $750 each for pipe that wasn't
quite what I wanted (smoothbore but hollow wall.) Ouch.
What brand of pipe or usual supplier did you use? In that size range is
it still called green PVC sewer pipe? I started to get lost in the
terminology and standards when I tried to find out more on the web. Most
sites want you to call a salesman, and I hate looking like an idiot (like I
need any help!) when I describe what I'm after.

Another common term for this type pipe is "Low Head Irrigation Pipe"...
The pipe is large volume, low pressure type. I've installed a fair
amount of it, and I think you'll find the inside is not all that smooth
as is a shotgun bore....
Try any Local Irrigation supplier and they'll point you in the right
direction.. Smith Irrigation, for example.

Bill
Jim McGill

Carl

Last time I was down near Southcenter, I drove past that big sewage
treatment plant north of there by the Green River, right up against the
hill and there was a pile of big plastic pipe sitting there. I remember
thinking "What cool stuff, wonder what I could do with it?". I've also
seen it in various areas of south and east King county. Could be that
Metro uses it and your utility up in Snohomish doesn't. Give Metro a
call and ask. Once you get past the bureaucrats to the engineers, you
might find some.

I've got a buddy that's an engineer for a local sewer district. I'll
drop him a note and see if he has any ideas.

Jim

Dave Hinz

wrote:

"He and Gunner have been having it out recently; arch enemies.
You're lucky you missed all that. Just let it go." I whispered.

LOL~

Hey Gunner, did you get the email I sent you couple days ago?

Dave

Larry Fishel

Just out of curiousity, what are you planning on firing out of it?

carl mciver

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Just out of curiousity, what are you planning on firing out of it?

Nuthin'! I've already made a working mockup out of 8" cardboard tubing
to prove the concept to myself and my bosses. I plan on using the tubing
for a vacuum operated dumbwaiter for folks at work. We go up and down
stairs all damn day, carrying all manner of heavy tools and parts, and we're
all getting older and more beat up all the time. If I can hang one of these
things off side of the workstands, folks can avoid the hump at the beginning
and end of each shift. To get a better idea, think of a simpler version of
a vacuum elevator, which you can find out more by doing a web search for
that term. There's a handful of firms that all sell the same elevator with
a simple and failsafe design. I can do a lot simpler and smaller by not
putting people in it. I need the smoothbore to seal the vacuum around the
...... whatever you call a car in a dumbwaiter....

BillP

carl mciver wrote:
"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Just out of curiousity, what are you planning on firing out of it?

Nuthin'! I've already made a working mockup out of 8" cardboard tubing
to prove the concept to myself and my bosses. I plan on using the tubing
for a vacuum operated dumbwaiter for folks at work. We go up and down
stairs all damn day, carrying all manner of heavy tools and parts, and we're
all getting older and more beat up all the time. If I can hang one of these
things off side of the workstands, folks can avoid the hump at the beginning
and end of each shift. To get a better idea, think of a simpler version of
a vacuum elevator, which you can find out more by doing a web search for
that term. There's a handful of firms that all sell the same elevator with
a simple and failsafe design. I can do a lot simpler and smaller by not
putting people in it. I need the smoothbore to seal the vacuum around the
..... whatever you call a car in a dumbwaiter....

Carl.... it needn't be all that smoothbore... gimme an email off line
and I can explain...

Gunner

wrote:

"He and Gunner have been having it out recently; arch enemies.
You're lucky you missed all that. Just let it go." I whispered.

LOL~

Hey Gunner, did you get the email I sent you couple days ago?

Dave

Probably not. What was it about?