DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is behind a 6:1 reduction gear on a Briggs Intek 6.5? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/94815-what-behind-6-1-reduction-gear-briggs-intek-6-5-a.html)

[email protected] March 12th 05 11:13 AM

What is behind a 6:1 reduction gear on a Briggs Intek 6.5?

What is behind a 6:1 reduction gear on a Briggs Intek 6.5?

I am shopping for a 6.5 hp Intek I/C with a keyed shaft.

Available to me is an engine except it has a 6:1 reduction gearbox.

If it has a ball bearing and a keyed shaft in there, I will be fine.

Anyone been there?

BoyntonStu

[email protected] March 12th 05 12:56 PM

Are you saying that there is or there is not a bearing and keyed shaft
behind a 6:1?

BoyntonStu

Greg O March 12th 05 02:08 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is behind a 6:1 reduction gear on a Briggs Intek 6.5?

Unless they changed they way they build them, a gear is machined right into
the end of the crankshaft. That is the way B&S did it for years. It is
possible that B&S is manufacturing them differently, but I doubt it.
The engine is no good for anything without the reduction!
Greg

Trevor Jones March 12th 05 05:05 PM

wrote:

What is behind a 6:1 reduction gear on a Briggs Intek 6.5?

I am shopping for a 6.5 hp Intek I/C with a keyed shaft.

Available to me is an engine except it has a 6:1 reduction gearbox.

If it has a ball bearing and a keyed shaft in there, I will be fine.

Anyone been there?

BoyntonStu

AFAIK the gear reduction engines use a different crankshaft than the
direct out ones. Not enough material on the end to be used for anything
else.

A check with a Briggs parts supplier will tel you for sure.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

David Courtney March 13th 05 02:59 PM

I sent you an image of the gear reduction unit, taken from the B&S
interactive repair manual CD-rom... too bad about the spam trap, it bounced
back. :-(
David

oups.com...

[email protected] March 16th 05 09:33 PM

Hi!

I found your email. Thanks!

Hi,
I have an "interactive" CD-rom that covers a lot of Briggs motors...
it
doesn't show a lot regarding the gear reductions; but this image might
help
answer your question.
It looks to me like a gear cut on the end of the crankshaft.
David

BoyntonStu

PS I purchased a keyed Interk 6.5 I/C with a keyed shaft.

[email protected] March 16th 05 09:33 PM

Hi!

I found your email. Thanks!

Hi,
I have an "interactive" CD-rom that covers a lot of Briggs motors...
it
doesn't show a lot regarding the gear reductions; but this image might
help
answer your question.
It looks to me like a gear cut on the end of the crankshaft.
David

BoyntonStu

PS I purchased a keyed Intek 6.5hp I/C with a keyed shaft.