DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dumore 44 Tool Post Grinder (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/94790-dumore-44-tool-post-grinder.html)

Jack Hayes March 12th 05 12:52 AM

Dumore 44 Tool Post Grinder

Hi All; Just purchased above grinder on EBay and having never used one I
have a few questions.
1. Is it necessary to purchase Dumore spindle oil or is there a substitute?
2. I need the part number for a new belt, the one that came with it looks
only fair.
3. The number 1 and 2 pulleys are missing, is it possible/practical to make
these? If it is then I need the pulley O.D,s it would be a great help if
some one could pass on these sizes.
4. How do you use the diamond dresser, what angle should it meet the stone
at?
5. Should the work piece rotate in the same direction as the stone or the
opposite direction?

Hope to try it out in a few days.

Thanks Jack

DoN. Nichols March 12th 05 03:50 AM

In article ,
Jack Hayes wrote:
Hi All; Just purchased above grinder on EBay and having never used one I
have a few questions.
1. Is it necessary to purchase Dumore spindle oil or is there a substitute?

Any fine low-viscosity spindle oil should work without problems.

2. I need the part number for a new belt, the one that came with it looks
only fair.

I don't have a manual with mine -- nor am I sure that it is a
#44 model. It is downstairs, and I am upstairs. But note that MSC will
sell you belts for Dumore toolpost grinders -- on pretty much the same
page which sells the grinders.

3. The number 1 and 2 pulleys are missing, is it possible/practical to make
these? If it is then I need the pulley O.D,s it would be a great help if
some one could pass on these sizes.

Do you have *any* pulleys? Mine is supplied with only two
pulleys, which get interchanged for the other speed range. Both pulleys
are quite obviously crowned to keep the flat belt tracking properly.

And mine needs a special shape of wrench to loosen and
interchange the pulleys. I am missing the wrench, and DuMore no lnger
makes the tools for whatever model I have, so I can't purchase them.
I'm not sure what the shape should be. It might be a hook spanner, or
it might be a semi-circle with a tongue in the center to engage the
cross-slot in the pulleys hub.

If yours uses only two wheels, I can measure what I have (once I
verify the model number). If it uses more than two, there is a chance
that DuMore will still have them in stock.

I've also got to make a wheel guard before I put it in service,
as that is also missing.

4. How do you use the diamond dresser, what angle should it meet the stone
at?

First off -- you protect every part of the lathe which you can,
before grinding, or especially before dressing the stone, as that
produces tons of abrasive grit which will wear the lathe far more
quickly than normal.

Then -- you mount the grinder on the toolpost in the intended
position and orientation (including adjusting the height above the
compound so the wheel's centerline is at the same height as the
spindle's centerline.

Then -- you mount the dressing diamond's holder (which I also
don't have, and will thus have to make) to hold the diamond right on the
centerline between the wheel's center and the lathe spindle's center.
It helps the life of the dressing diamond to have it angled into the
stone a bit, and to rotate it each time you use it to present a fresh
point. The angle should face into the stone's travel.

5. Should the work piece rotate in the same direction as the stone or the
opposite direction?

The workpiece should rotate such that at the contact surface,
the wheel is traveling in the opposite direction from the workpiece so
the speeds add.

So for an outside grinding setup, they would rotate in the same
direction, but for inside grinding, you will have to reverse the spindle
to maintain the same difference in travel direction.

For inside grinding, I will also have to make the collet to hold
the mounted stones for ID grinding.

Hope to try it out in a few days.

Remember -- protect *everything* -- and clean and re-lube after
you have used it.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564